Micromanaging Supply Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micromanaging Supply Orders

I don’t know what to call this. It’s mostly about what cheapskates our managers are. But it’s also about getting the supplies we need to do our jobs. And it’s a little bit my fault, too.

I got a new printer for my office about 9 months ago. I expected my printer to warn me, like my old one did, that the toner was getting low. It would say “1000 pages left” and then print another 2000 pages before it actually ran out. Plenty of time for me to order a new cartridge.

The new one doesn’t do that. It’s chugging along today, and I noticed blank areas on the pages. That’s when the warning appeared: “black toner is low.” Argh! I shook it up to get a little more life out of it, then asked CW to order me 2 cartridges so I’d have a backup.

She agreed. Until she called the office supply store we use and found out the cartridges are $370 each! She told me she just ordered one because she didn’t want to get yelled at for spending $700. And that’s perfectly valid. I wish she hadn’t told me in a way that made it seem like it was my fault if she got yelled at. But whatever.

I told her I’d put it on my calendar. I just looked on hp’s website, and the same cartridge is only $275 there. I’ll order one of those next month.

Toner is super expensive, but that’s a different rant. The bank needs to make sure we have the supplies we need to do our jobs. It’s part of the cost of doing business. I’m so tired of them nitpicking every purchase.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

They have no true good reason to keep making jobs Hell on Earth. Even profit doesn't really work when it proves penny-wise and pound-foolish.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
    X