X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no frickin' ballons

didn't want to hijack the peanut thread

I have a latex allergy-a very severe one-I carry an epi-pen-I cannot be near latex or I start going into anyphlactic shock.

The managers and HR know this but due to HIPPA laws they cannot post it as it is my PRIVATE medical information(even though the entire center knows it's me)

Girl comes in with latex balloons-walks by me-I start reacting(yes it's that fast-think bee sting allergies-but with airborne latex particles)-run to HR-"latex balloons-can't breathe!"

HR lady goes to floor panicked sees offending party and approaches-

"you cannot have those we have an employee with a severe allergy those could kill them"

Lady with balloons-"oh yeah the front desk and security guard told me that but because it's not posted I'll do whatever I want"

HR-lady-"do you want to be fired for harassment and assault?"

LWB-<whining>"but it's not posted-and they're my balloons"

HR lady-"I'm sorry her LIFE-THREATENING allergy is inconvenient to you but having one of our employees die because you can't follow instructions is inconvenient to us-get rid of them now!"

LWB-<still whining> "but it's not posted"

HR lady-"it is not our policy to violate HIPPA by posting an employees person medical information_hand them over-NOW!"

So I can see how having someone with an allergy may be "inconvenient" but try to see it from the other employee's point of view-for me one balloon in the call center could kill me-and I find death terribly inconvenient"
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Wow...

Serious allergy.. Even more serious asshat!

Uh.. can't YOU post a warning about it?

Comment

Why can you not sign a release to allow them to post bulletins alerting people to the fact that there is someone that has those allergies and to not bring in latex?
      http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
      Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I'm sure she could sign some release but then you run the risk of some moron (see the Don't let our dogs out in the rain thread) who would report them to the appropriate authorities for violating her rights under HIPAA.
        Last edited by Chanlin; 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
          If the front desk AND security told her no latex balloons, then why did they allow her into the building anyway?
          That's a damn good question, and I hope we find out the answer someday.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
            I'm sure she could sign some release but then you run the risk of some moron (see the Don't let our dogs out in the rain thread) who would report them to the appropriate authorities for violating her rights under HIPAA.
            If you have waived your HIPAA rights on this issue, then all they have to do is show the signed form when the violation inquiry notice shows up. I suggest doing this immediately if this is a life-or-death issue. Don't let some bonehead do this again.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Yes, I have to agree with everyone else, Blaquekatt, bring HR a typed, signed letter, expressing your fervent need to have that info posted publicly and waiving your right to keep that piece of info private. If someone reports them for it then they can pull out your letter.
              Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
              X