This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jpurple View Post
    Amusingly enough, I was asked not only my own religion, but my mother and father's religion(s) on my last job application. Apparently that's legal here, although why on earth they want to know I couldn't say. (And I doubt anyone understood my response, as I put 'NOYB' =None of Your Business)
    Where are you located?
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
      In an interview, I was actually asked, "If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?"

On an application, "Do you ride a motorcycle?"
      Now I can actually think of a few jobs where the ability to ride a motorcycle could be pertinent information.

There are none where the tree thing matters.
      Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

Quoth BlakeMP View Post
        Now I can actually think of a few jobs where the ability to ride a motorcycle could be pertinent information.

There are none where the tree thing matters.
        It was a convenience store. I think that somehow having a motorcycle was considered a poor reflection on my character.

I think the whole chain went under a few years ago.
        Document everything

Comment

Right after I was discharged from active duty in the 70's I applied as a mechanic at a motorcycle shop that was run by a couple of hippies. It was during the rice-burner revolution and these shops were selling moto's as fast as they could be imported. I was asked if I had ever murdered anyone. I said no.
          I was hired and a few months later we were all at a beer-joint knocking a few back and I ran into an old Army buddie. We were talking about some shoot-outs we were in and close-calls. The next day the boss hippie called me into his office and told me I was being laid off because I lied on my application. What lie? You said you've never killed someone. No I said I never murdered someone, there's a big difference. There wasn't a difference to him.

Other weird questions, what's your favorite automobile engine? Ford 289/302
          How close is correct when you're processing payroll? It's either right or wrong there's no shades of gray.
          Do you hunt deer and where do you hunt. Yes and I don't give directions to my honey holes.

For my current job the boss gave everyone this stupid personality test. If according to it you were considered too artsy he wouldn't hire you. He doesn't use it anymore since his test was disproved.
          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
            For my current job the boss gave everyone this stupid personality test. If according to it you were considered too artsy he wouldn't hire you. He doesn't use it anymore since his test was disproved.
            Dayton Hudson got seriously sued over a personality test they were giving out at Mervyn's and lost. But these idiots just keep trying.
            Document everything

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
              The next day the boss hippie called me into his office and told me I was being laid off because I lied on my application. What lie? You said you've never killed someone. No I said I never murdered someone, there's a big difference. There wasn't a difference to him.
              You're right, there IS a big difference between being in the military and killing, and going out and murdering someone.

I wonder how he would see a self-defense killing?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                You're right, there IS a big difference between being in the military and killing, and going out and murdering someone.

I wonder how he would see a self-defense killing?
                The only thing he's seeing now is the backside of his eyelids. He Od'd several years ago. To answer your question he didn't believe in killing for any reason.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

On some crime shows, they were talking about applications for jobs with armored car companies, and one of the questions they all had was "Have you ever thought about robbing an armored car?" Anyone who answered no wouldn't get the job.

Not technically a job interview, but when I applied for my security clearance for the cubicle farm, one of the questions on their intro questionaire was "I am good at keeping secrets (yes/no)". Sheesh, I wondered if anyone actually answered no.
                  Random Doctor Who quote:
                  "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                  I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Why did you leave your previous jobs?

-The real answer, because they sucked and I can only take so much suckage from one source.

-The answer I always gave- because I wasn't challenged enough and I was looking for a better opportunity.

I often wondered what they would say if I said- "Because I get sick of kissing the same ass day in and day out for minimum wage, dumb ass, I'd like a little variety".

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
                      Why did you leave your previous jobs?

-The real answer, because they sucked and I can only take so much suckage from one source.

-The answer I always gave- because I wasn't challenged enough and I was looking for a better opportunity.

I often wondered what they would say if I said- "Because I get sick of kissing the same ass day in and day out for minimum wage, dumb ass, I'd like a little variety".
                      If you take out the "dumb ass" part, it would be a wonderful way to screen potential employers. The ones who chuckle and give you a small mental point for it are more likely to be worth working for. The ones who give you a cat-butt face are probably not people you want to work for.

Comment

I went to loads of interviews straight after college... it was hell. Most were straightforward, with some "Huh?" moments. And here they are...

1. "Do you have a boyf?"

2. "Are you wearing a bra?" (by the way, when I got that question, I left the interview. Sexist pig. )

3. "What would you do if someone stuck a gun in your face?"

4. "Are you basically honest?"

The first two were for the same interview. The interviewer was a middle aged man, and the job was a generic shop job. He made my skin crawl... ewwww. I didn't report him, so I can only hope he got stiffed by the Sexual Discrimination Act eventually.

As for the second two, both were from different interviews and I answered "Give him the money from the till" and "Yes". I don't see the point of the 4th question; if you weren't honest, you could be lying by saying yes and you'd hardly admit to being dishonest would you?
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lace Neil Singer;25998]
                          3. "What would you do if someone stuck a gun in your face?"

[QUOTE]

Actually, I think that's a really good question. Only because, I've read about two situations that occurred in my area, where the night clerk at some store actually withheld the money and tried to apprehend the thief themselves... But, then, I've long held that we have an overflow of stupid here.

Comment

This was one of those off the old Wal-Mart computer app...

True or False: "I used to do drugs, but I don't now."

...what the hell is that and what am I supposed to do with it?

I flipped a coin and went with false. Obviously not the right answer...no job.
                            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                              True or False: "I used to do drugs, but I don't now."
                              "If you have comitted a crime and wish to confess, click 'yes'; otherwise, press 'no.'"

"You have chosen 'no', meaning you have comitted a crime and do not wish to confess. A wagon is on its way."

Seriously, it sounds like there's no right answer to that question.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

thats a no win question if ive ever seen one

Comment

Working...
                                X