This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign this write up or be fired!

I'm in a position at work where I have to fight a write-up. I know I have a pretty good case but I'm still nervous about it.

One these boards and in other discussions, I've often see people who say "If you don't agree with the write up, don't sign it."

I was talking with a buddy about this and he said he was once threatened with termination if he didn't sign, so he reluctantly signed, even though he didn't agree, because he really needed the job.

Now I could potentially find myself in a similar position. What happened was I got failed on a quality review because of Call avoidance because I allegedly told the customer I could not help her and to call back. While I did actually do this, I did this because I COULD NOT HEAR HER and even put in the notes something like "could not hear cust well enough to determine exact issue" and I know in disconnecting I did apologize for not hearing her. However there's a risk that managment doesn't believe me and demands I take the write up.

I'm in a position right now where I can't really afford to lose my job but I'd just hate to sign that piece of paper feeling as I do.

So what's my recourse here?
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 12-24-2007, 02:09 AM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

If you couldn't hear the customer, asked her to call back, and even made a note of it, then I don't think you did anything wrong. What did they want you to do? Keep saying "Sorry, I didn't hear that, could you repeat that for me?" over and over and over again instead of helping another customer or whatever else needed to get done? I wouldn't sign it. It would be very unprofessional for them to fire you over something like this, even when you did everything you could do. If they threaten to fire you, then have no fear in letting them know you will go over their heads, all the way up to the owner of the company if necessary. I hate unprofessional managers.

Comment

There's really no way they could fire you for refusing a write up, especially if it's not crystal clear you even did anything wrong. I would fight it as far as you need to, and if they try to play the "sign it or get fired" card, let them know you'll be hearing from a lawyer. That tends to stop that kind of BS right quick.

Also, be careful about going to HR. More often than not, the HR department in most companies will just relay what you said to management, and give them a heads up on what you're planning to do. If your place has any type of online resources or employee handbook you can consult, I'd try that first.
      Last edited by CancelMyService; 12-24-2007, 02:41 AM. Reason: expanding my original point
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        I would suggest finding out for sure what the consequences are at your workplace for refusing to sign the write-up slip. Don't talk to your direct boss about it though - go to HR instead.

If you are still in a position where you have to sign it write on it that you do not agree with being forced to sign something like this when you had a perfectly valid reason to disconnect from the call. And perhaps ask to listen to the call if possible.
        Believe me, I'm not signing a damn thing until I hear the tape. I ALWAYS make sure to listen to my calls before accepting my scores.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Where I work you have to sign all write-ups. But it says on the write-up that it is not an admission of guilt and you can comment on it. I had to give a driver one last week because we recieved two complaints about her driving in one day for the same occurance. She claimed she didn't do it so she wrote on the write-up in the comment sectiont hat she didn't do it and didn't agree that she should have recieved the write-up.

Basically, as far as I know signing it only means you recieved it and are aware of it. But it depends on where you work. If it says something about it being an admission of guilt then don't sign if you didn't do it. If it is just signing to acknowledge the situation write all over that report what your side is. Write on it directly so your side can't be "misplaced."

Comment

That's BS, since most employers will use your signature on the write up as proof that you acknowledge their side of the facts. Places will try to bully you into signing all writeups, but the idea that you can be fired for refusing to is just them trying to force a written record of their version of facts. You can only get fired for violating policies or rules, write ups are only supposed to be recordings of transgressions, not the transgressions themselves.

One time I signed a write up at my current job that I didn't agree with (I called off during an ice storm and it was my second or third time in a 6 month period), but I *did* call off so therefore it wasn't like they were trying to railroad me. It was just the circumstances I was arguing.

I'd also argue this would be another prime example of where a union rep would come in handy. I know this can get into the Fratching Zone, but whenever someone wants to make the case that unions have no place in today's workplace, bullying people into signing disciplinary forms for things they didn't do is a good counter.
            "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

I don't think anyone can legally force you to sign a write-up. A meeting with the boss and discussion of why they are writing you up is perfectly fine and dandy, but if you disagree, you don't have to sign it. And saying "Well, by signing it, you're just stating that we talked to you.." No, that's bullshit. They can document it in an e-mail to HR that they talked to you. You are allowed to refuse to sign and you are also allowed to write up a defense of some sort, if you wish. I wrote up a defense to me being suspended at the grocery store, and it was given to HR and corporate. Sure, I wasn't anyone's favorite raspberry for quite a while, but I stood my ground and made it clear I was aware of my rights and no one was going to bully me!
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

When I was going through all the BS with Shit Weasel at the hotel (documented well enough elsewhere), they presented me with the write up for my "transgression" and asked me to sign it.

JESTER: "Absolutely not!"
                HR GUY: "You are refusing to sign it?"
                JESTER: "I am absolutely refusing to sign it, as I believe it to be a load of crap. And you can put that down in your records, that I am refusing to sign it because I find it to be completely and totally untrue. Period."

THAT unseated HR Guy just a bit, I tell you!

And by the way, when they presented me with a second version of the write-up, somewhat altered, I refused to sign that one, either, and gave them a written statement of MY version of the events.

I quit that place shortly thereafter, once I had secured my current job at The Bar. That was a very good move on my part, thank you very much.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a place that threatens your job security if you won't sign a write-up. If they do, and you really need that job, sign it, as principles don't pay the bills.....but start looking for employment elsewhere immediately.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a place that threatens your job security if you won't sign a write-up. If they do, and you really need that job, sign it, as principles don't pay the bills.....but start looking for employment elsewhere immediately.
                  Same here. I remember a couple of years ago I was working for a Third Party call center that made outbound B2B calls. I had this really bitchy supervisor named M. She was a controlling, domineering, arrogant Nazi bitch. She played favorites and if you weren't one of her faves, she would make life a living hell for you (I was on her shit list for some crazy ass reason). Every week or month we would get our stats and because she didn't like our numbers, she decided to make a new rule where if you didn't meet your goal within a month you would get written up for it (no coaching , just a write up) . I was one of the top performers there,so the only thing that was "wrong" was my low call handle time . We got to improvise our scripts and with the nature of our work, I would just get to the key points of the script with all my calls and go from one to the other, etc. She had a one on one with each agent and when she had me sign the form to acknowledge and agree with the policy, I told her no. Later in the day I went to our manager D, and made a complaint about the new rule and how unfair and punishing it was for all the good employees. He was understanding about it, and told me that he would speak with M later. The next day, M calls me in with our team leader B to talk in private. M reams me about "blindsiding" her ( which, btw was a load a shit) and that I am supposed to talk to her and only her. I called her out and told her that I DID let her know exactly how I felt about that proposed bullshit policy she tried to implement and that I have the right to speak to my boss and that she had no right to tell me otherwise. B placated us both, but M got me to sign in the end. After my department folded over from a merger (months later), I left and haven't came back to that hellhole.

If I were in your shoes (crazedclerk), I would refuse to sign anything until you get to listen to the call, and arrange to speak with your QA and Management about that call avoidance write up. You did what you could to help that customer, despite the connection and/or hearing difficulties and you notated the account, so I see no reason for that constituting as call avoidance.
                  Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 12-25-2007, 12:35 AM.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I don't think it would hurt you to simply ask HR to clarify what the write-up procedure is, so you know what to expect. From what I understand (as I've never been written up myself) my company has a section on the form for the employee to note his/her side of the story, so that way it's in writing that there is a disagreement on the facts of the case.

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, either. If it was some kind of problem with the phone or just the customer is a very quiet speaker/losing their voice, what do they expect you to do? Perhaps you could ask them "for future reference" what is expected.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

At my workplace if you get a write up, you can't fight it. The head manager and head cashier have a very close personal relationship, despite the fact that the head cashier isn't that great at her job. The head manager will just parrot back what she says about you. I got written up over blending orders together, a complete brain fart on my part due to lack of available baggers at the time. FYI, the head manager is a notorious penny pincher and refuses to schedule more than one or two people who are baggers only during weekday afternoons. when we frequently are very busy.

I was told that if I didn't sign it that I would be suspended for insubordination. I commented on it that I was signing it under duress and that I knew I messed up and I felt he overreacted.

I'm worried about another write up because head cashier accused me of not carding another customer for cigarettes when I had carded her for an alcohol purchase. She didn't believe me when I told her and thought that I was being disrespectful towards her with my tone. I always card people before they purchase alcohol and cigarettes - I have to in order to proceed with the transaction. As for cigarettes, if the customer looks younger than 25, I make them show ID just for me to get them, which is what she wants us to do for everyone, which is ridiculous. I know there are instances when she doesn't card people, especially her friends. I just can't wait for her to get caught.

Comment

A co-worker got written up today for excessive absences today. Our store has gotten hit hard by the various seasonal winter ailments and he has gotten sick the most. Like most of the younger workers, he does not have health insurance due primarily to the fact that only full timers can buy in to it. He called in sick on Tuesday due to throat problems without getting a doctor's note which is technically required by management, but not always enforced like so many policies at my store. His absence forced other people to stock his area, which they did not mind doing since he's willing to help out with their stuff if they need other times, but the head manager objected and decided to write him up. It's not like he or his favorite person the bitch supervisor offered to help cover his area for the day. It's sad when you get written up for taking a day off because you don't feel well and trying to get yourself better, so you can perform your job to the best of your ability.

Comment

where i work you have to sign them too. granted you *can* refuse to sign, but then they write up paperwork stating that you refused to sign (which is a worse mark against you) and that one you really really have to sign.

however... on ours we also have the right to make a statement. and they're not allowed to force you into not making a statement. basically, it prevents bad supervisors from creating unfair writeups, because it creates a paper-trail, and if they're writing you up for something totally stupid, it can bite them in the butt.

like back when i was in VA i got written up by my shop's supervisor (M___) for two things at once 1) falling asleep at work, and 2) leaving the premisis while i was the on-call person. The first was true - hey it was boring and i was sleepy, but the second was false... one of our higher supervisors had taken the on-call duty for me so i could leave the building to get lunch. So, instead of having me write my statement, he re-wrote the paperwork with just the single offense.

Of course... this also prolly stemmed from the fact that he got in far worse trouble with the higher sup that day. M___ took off to do the daily pickup from 2 locations, a job that takes a normal person 30 minutes to an hour. He was gone 5 hours, and told them "None of your business" when they asked where he'd been. So, yes it soothed his pride to be able to write me up for a mistake, but if he'd included the part about me leaving the building while on-call, the higher sup's would have ripped him another one.

so... yeah, having the right to make a statement can be a very good thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X