This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freebies!

Yesterday one of the assistant department managers asked the guy delivering some of our 5 gallon water bottles (we also sell small 16 ounce bottles for them) if he had any "spares" for us. He said he did and produced a few bottles, one of which was handed to me. Thanks? I just keep refilling the same paper cup all day with water normally, then at the end of my shift I toss it in the recycle bin.

Today the delivery guy for one of our beer/wine distributors noticed a cart full of overripe bananas sitting next to the composter (we recycle pretty much everything, even the plastic that wraps pallets) and asked me if he could snag a few of them. I didn't see the harm in it, and I knew they'd already been written off, so I just told him "I didn't see anything man". Actually I'm pretty surprised they were being tossed, usually stuff like that winds up in prepared foods, usually for either the smoothie bar or they get peeled/frozen and used for something else later.

It just seems like every time I'm near the docks (we have 2 sets of docks, btw), I'll hear someone ask for a handout of some kind. If it's something that's going to be thrown away anyway, I could care less - as it is, a lot of damaged or slightly out of date stuff (as long as it's not raw) winds up in the break room anyway. Chips that expired 3 or 4 months ago still taste surprisingly good! But one of the managers flat out asking the driver for free water bottles really caught me off guard.

We do get a lot of free stuff from distributors, but normally stuff like hats and t-shirts. We're actually allowed to wear clothing with brand names on them at work, as long as it's stuff we actually sell. A LOT of people have Clif Bar hats/shirts, for example. I generally wear Whole Foods shirts to work (we have a very liberal dress code though, I can basically wear whatever I want as long as it's not offensive), simply because I have so damn many of them now

Okay, I read as far as "beer delivery guy" and got all excited. I think it's pretty cool to let the "freebies" go since, as you said, they were written off as loss anyhow. Surely it must be better to see it used in some fashion rather than just chucked into the dumpster.

And if you want to see some Olympic-level freebie-soliciting, work for a construction company. Honestly, I never saw so many grown men fall all over themselves for a t-shirt. Of course, it was for the steel company that happened to be called "The Erection Company," so perhaps there was something else going on...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post

And if you want to see some Olympic-level freebie-soliciting, work for a construction company. Honestly, I never saw so many grown men fall all over themselves for a t-shirt. Of course, it was for the steel company that happened to be called "The Erection Company," so perhaps there was something else going on...
      You mean those shirts aren't made by Pfizer?
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        You mean those shirts aren't made by Pfizer?
        Ooh, nice one!

The shirts had a, shall we say, phallic interpretation of the ironworker's crane and a catchy slogan that now escapes me.
        Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
          Of course, it was for the steel company that happened to be called "The Erection Company," ..
          Heh, I've got shirts and jackets that say "J Erectors" and have a crane on them. My friends think they are hilarious. (I have immature friends).

Freebies was one of my favorite things about working around food stuff. Like if the sausage had to be thrown out, I had a sausage sub that night, etc. But I never had a position like what Bean described.

Comment

Working...
          X