This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap, I could be a cop?

I'm a security guard working graveyards at a golf resort. The other night a cop drove up to me and we just chatted for a while(their nights get boring in these parts). Out of nowhere he asks me: "You want to be a cop?" I stare dumbly at him for a second before my mind fully registers what he has asked me(we seriously were talking about the weather or something, this was out of nowhere). So I say: "I would love to be a cop, but I don't think I'd make it through the academy."

He goes on to say that the academy is actually really easy, and that even a big ol' fat guy like myself could pass it if I worked hard. He gives me a card with the recruiting sergeant's name and number on it and tells me to give him a call.

Today was the earliest I could call(day off) and unfortunately the sergeant I need to speak to was at the shooting range today and won't be taking calls. I was told to call back Monday. So I will, and I look forward to speaking with him.

I'm really excited about this. I've wanted to be a cop since I was a little kid. It's part of the reason I became a security guard. But I never thought I'd make it through the academy, on account of me being a fat, lazy bastard. I said that to the cop when he asked me if I wanted to be a cop, and he laughed out loud. He said there are cops bigger than me on the force and they have no problems; you just have to work hard. And dammit, if this works out for me I will work hard.

Just think, in a few months(how long is academy training? Six weeks? Nine?) I could be a police officer. Just imagine the SC tales I could tell then.

Wish me luck!

Awesome! Good luck getting in/ passing Academy!
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Good luck!

I adore cops. <3
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Here we have a Police Foundations college course, that you can take at pretty much any college.
        My friend's exboyfriend was taking it, an I thought it was a requirement for joining the force even before you go into the academy.
        But maybe that's just here.
        Or maybe the college course isn't required and schools have foun a way to suck a few thousand extra bucks out of people.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: what I don't know about most things could fill a warehouse.

Comment

Just stay away from the doughnuts...lol.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
            Here we have a Police Foundations college course, that you can take at pretty much any college.
            My friend's exboyfriend was taking it, an I thought it was a requirement for joining the force even before you go into the academy.
            Post-secondary education is a requirement for every police force I know of in Canada. So its not a bad start, but there's a lot of competition for those positions.

I know a lot of people who went through school for Police Foundations (college diploma), and they're all security guards. The two actual cops I know have university degrees in Criminology.

I have no idea what the deal is in the US. I just thought I'd share what little personal experience I have on the topic.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth TheRedHawk View Post

Just think, in a few months(how long is academy training? Six weeks? Nine?) I could be a police officer.
              Only nine weeks training? Its 22 (twenty two) in the UK, followed by a futher 18 months probation period. Damn.

Good luck though, anyone who wants to be a Police Officer that much can get through the training programme.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Police training is 2.5yrs in finland, 10 weeks sounds short.

Comment

Quoth TheRedHawk View Post

I'm really excited about this. I've wanted to be a cop since I was a little kid. It's part of the reason I became a security guard. But I never thought I'd make it through the academy, on account of me being a fat, lazy bastard. I said that to the cop when he asked me if I wanted to be a cop, and he laughed out loud. He said there are cops bigger than me on the force and they have no problems; you just have to work hard. And dammit, if this works out for me I will work hard.

Just think, in a few months(how long is academy training? Six weeks? Nine?) I could be a police officer. Just imagine the SC tales I could tell then.

Wish me luck!
                  In [My City], Mississippi, I think you need to have some post-secondary education. They also like you having some experience as either an LPO, or a Security guard.

You have to pass a physical fitness test (i.e. x number of push-ups in 2 minutes, y number of sit-ups in 2 minutes, etc.) for the station (I believe different stations have different requirements, but most of them seem to follow the guidelines the FBI uses for its agents). There's a firing proficiency test as well.

Potential hires are paired with experienced officers to see how they work out.

Hopeful officers attend the Police Academy for about 8 weeks (which in this state seems to be taught by former Marines). If they pass academy, they continue with their probationary period for about 6 months before being hired full time.

How do I know this? Both of my martial arts instructors and one of the other students are police officers for [My City].

I wish you good luck in your endeavors, Sir!

Comment

my store's AP manager says the local PD wouldn't hire her because she has a degree, and all their cops only have GEDs. I'm really glad we didn't have AP when I was hired, because I would have laughed at her orientation speach

Comment

One of my coworkers was taking classes in the hopes of becoming a police officer in the forensics department. Unfortunately for her, she has a blood condition that makes her inelligible for joining.

But some of the classes were required for even applying.

She's now just waiting on the results of the background check before she goes into the juvie court system.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My best friend went through and it was 3 months. It was a very stressful time for both of us. It's no walk in the park, but it's worth it. Make sure you can fulfill the physical requirements. There were plenty of big guys in his group. So long as you can do all the physical stuff it's not a problem. And be ready to possibly take a psych test. That thing is crazy. One of our officers (who of course passed) said she sat in her car for like 5 minutes trying to remember how to drive afterwards. My friend said it wasn't that bad, but it was tedious. They kept asking the same questions and picking all of you apart. Weird questions too. Not all departments require this, but just something to keep in mind so you're somewhat prepared.

Best of luck.
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                        X