This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwinding after work

How do you switch off "work brain" when you get home?

On Tuesdays I have a class right after work, and I find it easy to switch from "work brain" to "study brain" (being in a classroom helps). On other days I come home and spend at least 15 minutes sitting around with a drink (sometimes alcoholic, sometimes not... tonight it's red wine, yesterday it was green tea cordial in soda water). Years ago when I was in a much more stressful workplace I'd rush home to drink 3 or 4 beers, then I discovered CS as it was back then.

Games; the bloodier the better.

DooM 3, Hellgate London, Bloodrayne, FEAR, STALKER, and Guild Wars all top my list of 'Relaxation units' when I'm stressed or angry.

Comment

Back rubs and alcohol work pretty well for me. I'm a sucker for a weak kamikaze (with about half the vodka in it, please).
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Eating supper, talking to Bella, checking my email and two message boards and going to bed.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I get home and go straight to bed.. but that's about 7am after a night shift....

Otherwise - Tuesdays I usually stay up a bit longer...
          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

As soon as I get home I change into my pajamas, regardless of what time I get in.
            Once the pajamas are on the work day is over.

Comment

Usually, I will get online and check email and come to Cs.com. Or I will go any audio or visual from an investigation. Well if we recently went on one. Or I will play my Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008 game. Also have a couple of beers & dinner
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I might not be a good example, but squeezing 39 hours into a 3 day work week kinda alleviates this problem.

On saturdays and sundays, I work 8am to 10pm. So I get up, shower, go to work, come home, TRY to wind down enough to sleep and repeat the same thing the next day.

On Mondays I work 12noon to midnight. Then I'm off Tuesday through Friday.

One problem I have is after working a 14 hour shift, I'm exhausted mentally, but I am all wound up when I first get home. It takes me at least 2 hours to relax and settle down. Then I have to be up at 630a the following morning.

Thank god I'm one of those people that can function on 5-6 hours of sleep. A 14 hour shift is not for the faint-of-heart.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I get home, eat some kind of breakfast while I watch one of the three CSI's on dvd, read the online edition of the paper and scroll through my usual selection of message boards, brush my teeth, and go to bed.
                  Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

In the middle of my usual work week, I go out and play cards with friends (Magic: The Gathering), which usually resets me enough to make it through the rest of the week. At the end of a week I play an RPG game with friends (not a computer game, but a bunch of friends sitting around a table with a couple of books, a jar full of dice and a case of beer).

Nerd? Moi?

I'm also a big wrestling fan. After a particularly harsh day I may go home and watch a DVD/video of some Japanese deathmatches (the bloodier the better).
                    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

I lay down and read or play around on the internet for a bit.

Comment

hang with my fiancé, surf the web,watch TV
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                          As soon as I get home I change into my pajamas, regardless of what time I get in.
                          Once the pajamas are on the work day is over.
                          I do that too. I get really screwed up when I work a morning shift, though.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

A half a quart of sour mash whiskey and anticonvulsants.

Comment

1. Tasty beverage--usually Coke or Pepsi or Propel, but sometimes of the mind-numbing intoxicant variety.

2. Get the hell out of my work clothes.

3. CS.com
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X