Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me? Or is it hard to tolerate the smells of former workplaces?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me? Or is it hard to tolerate the smells of former workplaces?

O.k., so that didn't really make any sense ....

What I mean is, I've worked in three different pizza places for about five years or so and now, I can't really stand the smell of any pizza place. I know when you're starving, it's probably the best smell in the world ... but to me, it makes me slightly queasy ...

O.k., I'll admit, the last two pizza places I worked at, I had some pretty bad experiences ... but still ... is it just me?
    This area is left blank for a reason.

Not at all.

Scent is the biggest memory and emotion trigger you have, so it's not surprising that the scent of pizza would bring to mind the upset you associate from working in those places.

My ex once got sick (probably flu, possibly food poisoning) rather messily not too long after having had a seafood salad when he was a teen. It wasn't until more than a decade later that the scent of seafood no longer made him queasy.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I worked at Disneyland

I still can't stand the smell of popcorn.

Comment

I am 21 years out of Domino's. I STILL can't eat one of their pizzas.

Hell, about 5 years ago I was walking past one in a shopping plaza. It was a warm day and they had their door propped open. I nearly retched at the smell when I walked by.

So no, it's not just you.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I can't stand the smell of parking garages after working for national car rental out in the garage for 6 months (then again I couldn't stand the smell of parking garages before I worked there... that is why I applied for a job at the desk, not the garage... and only accepted the garage job beccause they promised a transfer to the desk as soon as there were any openings... I quit because they passed me up for that transfer 3 times).
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Hell, I still can't go into a Ponderosa Restaurant and I worked there in 1980.
            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Not work related but I once had to go to my old high school to pick up some paper work and when I was in there I started having a bit of a panic attack. I don't know why really, it would've made more sense had it been my old secondary school.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I worked at McD's in my Sr year of High School and I still cannot stand the smell of their food.

I'm 44 now...

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

sour milk

I know the feeling. As I posted in another thread, a former job of mine involved cleaning up quantities of rotted (not sour, not even lumpy, rotted black milk) at a dairy. Prior to that job, I had a reasonable tolerance for the smell of sour milk; It wasn't pleasant, but I could tolerate it long enough to deal with the problem. Now, I actually get a flashback whenever I encounter soured milk to the reason I quit that dairy job. As a result, I can't empty soured milk without holding my breath (or risking making a far worse mess).

Comment

I cannot stand the institutional smell that goes with schools. It's not a workplace, but my time at school was so hellish that that institutional smell automatically turns me into a panicked little girl.
                    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Trust me, it's not you. I worked for Huddle House (a 24 hour diner in the southeast, I've not found them out west yet) for a while and the smell of french fries still sets my tummy off.
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I worked in a steak house as a waitress many years ago. The smell of steak cooking still makes me want to hurl.
                        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Walking into my old workplace and taking a good, deep sniff still reminds me of the soul crushing depressing atmosphere and mind numbing work. After a full year.

So yer, its not odd at all.
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                            I worked in a steak house as a waitress many years ago. The smell of steak cooking still makes me want to hurl.
                            Gah, now that's just depressing.

Does this mean I can have your steak?
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

As much as I hate to admit it, I cannot stand the smell of fresh cheddar biscuits. Damn you Red Lobster. *shakes fist*
                              Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Working...
                              X