This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I just being paranoid? Or.....

.....Is it OK to post personal links like maybe a photo gallery of your recent vacation?

You maybe be asking, "why even ask?"

The reason I ask is this: If there is a mole from my place of work lurking here, he/she could easily report back to the bosslady that I am posting here and have me sacked.

I mean really, unless you're dumb enough to tell the boss "Hey I post on CS!" did anyone ever get in trouble by posting here?

Before anyone thinks "that would be pretty pathetic if they actually told someone to hang out on an message board looking for signs that an employee posts here," remember these are the same people that has an auditor that flunked audits because they didn't like my accent.

Hopefully, you guys can put my mind at rest.

*Disclaimer--I'm not trying to start an argument with my response*

Quoth sld72382 View Post
    I mean really, unless you're dumb enough to tell the boss "Hey I post on CS!"
    I don't think that's fair, really.

I don't think I'm dumb, yet I have told my dept. manager, many coworkers and maybe a store manager or two that I post here. Hell, I tell them that I have the most posts.

Either they don't care or they don't believe me (about the name of the site).
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If you are concerned about it, then don't post. If you want to, find out the policy of internet representation. It should usually be something like "If you don't think it's appropriate to say in public, then don't say it online" or not to post sensitive info. Find that section and photocopy it twice. Keep one safe, and the other with you. Then if they try to fire you for posting her and you're not in an at-will state, you can demand proof you are violating the policy. Either they'll back down or give you proof for a lawsuit.

Heck, I kept trying to get my bosses to post their own stuff here, as some of it was solid gold!
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I didn't mean that part to be offensive, if you thought it was I'm sorry.

That reason why it would be dumb on my end to tell any people higher then me I post here is because when I was in my first training orientation, they said the center has "non-discloser agreements" when the various companies they represent.

I don't know if that extends to everything (including telling stories about sucky customers) or just internal company secrets, which I wouldn't post anyway.

That really the whole reason for the concern.

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        If you are concerned about it, then don't post. If you want to, find out the policy of internet representation. It should usually be something like "If you don't think it's appropriate to say in public, then don't say it online" or not to post sensitive info. Find that section and photocopy it twice. Keep one safe, and the other with you. Then if they try to fire you for posting her and you're not in an at-will state, you can demand proof you are violating the policy. Either they'll back down or give you proof for a lawsuit.

Heck, I kept trying to get my bosses to post their own stuff here, as some of it was solid gold!
        Yes, I am in an at-will state.

Would love to hear some of those stories, BTW.
        Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM. Reason: merged

Comment

My bosslady has had me post stuff on her behalf.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Our professional standards Dept does look for bloggers etc which is why I never give out too much info nor access the site from work terminals (that in itself is a disciplinary offence) so be as careful as you deem appropriate.
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I would say that as long as where you work and who you are aren't general public knowledge, meaning that you say who you work for, it wouldn't be a problem. I mean, who's to say the story you're telling isn't from another employer you worked for?

Oh and as for the 'mole,' they should find better things to do with their time than to be concerned with what you do during your free time.
              Some people are like slinkies,
              They don't really serve a purpose,
              But they still bring a smile to your face
              When you push them down the stairs.

Comment

Quoth sld72382
                Would love to hear some of those stories, BTW.
                sadly, I only got bits and pieces and all I can remember out of them was that they were amusing, but I can't remember why.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

It can depend on your workplace - some have corporate mentalities, and others are laid back. It all depends on what you're saying.

Try logging out and look at the forums listing - not all are available when not logged in, and I'm fairly certain that they're safe from search engines. However, I am always mindful that there is always the chance that someone will come looking, and some corporate headquarters are so protective of their brand that they will look for mentions of their company on search engines.

It's a fairly low chance of being caught, all done and said - Alexa has us getting 0.00922408435% of all Internet traffic, but introduce a search engine and that ups the chance of detection massively.

If you want to share it, use the Check it Out forum - it's relatively quiet when compared to the rest of the site. Eventually, it becomes at your own risk, but if you start getting into trouble then hit the report button and we can move it to a holding area where we store such material.

Rapscallion

Comment

All my coworkers know about this place. I do a good job of advertising it to them but they don't bother to come here; so sad but true. I'll bet they could tell loads of stories...
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      It can depend on your workplace - some have corporate mentalities, and others are laid back. It all depends on what you're saying.

Try logging out and look at the forums listing - not all are available when not logged in, and I'm fairly certain that they're safe from search engines. However, I am always mindful that there is always the chance that someone will come looking, and some corporate headquarters are so protective of their brand that they will look for mentions of their company on search engines.

It's a fairly low chance of being caught, all done and said - Alexa has us getting 0.00922408435% of all Internet traffic, but introduce a search engine and that ups the chance of detection massively.

If you want to share it, use the Check it Out forum - it's relatively quiet when compared to the rest of the site. Eventually, it becomes at your own risk, but if you start getting into trouble then hit the report button and we can move it to a holding area where we store such material.

Rapscallion
                      That's why I don't say where I work or what store we have to brand.

Thank for the info everyone, BTW.

Comment

Working...
                      X