This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May need to hug one of our drivers

B went out on one of Welsh delivery runs today. He's been driving for years - very experienced guy in a heavy goods vehicle, and generally a very nice bloke.

I should point out for those who don't know, Wales has some very narrow roads in the country areas. B was driving along one such, and coming the other way he saw a digger. These things - I think it was along the lines of a JCB - are notoriously slow, but they're designed to dig rather than break any speed records. Both could pass, though it was a narrow fit, so they both edged over a little to make sure as they approached.

That was when a motobike appeared coming from behind the digger. He hadn't seen our (fairly large) truck until it was far too late. He tried to brake, as apparently evidenced by the skid marks on the tarmac, but in the split seconds he had the only choice he had was to try and fit between the digger and our truck.

He sort of made it, then collided with the under-runner bars that go along the side of our trucks, and then went under the digger. His condition was described by doctors as "touch and go" and he was undergoing brain scans this afternoon. B is devastated.

I feel for the guy. I really do.

Rapscallion

From the sounds of that it wasn't his fault at all. Shows that you really need to look where you're leaping, especially on a bike.

Your driver must be absolutely gutted.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      These things - I think it was along the lines of a JCB - are notoriously slow, but they're designed to dig rather than break any speed records.
      Their most common model actually can be engineered to hit 60MPH with minimal effort, but I'm assuming it's a stock model.

And well wishes to the driver. There's nothing he could have done in this situation.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Man. This is what I hate most about hotshot drivers/riders.

I don't care if they get themselves dead. That's their own fault.

It's the people they hurt and those they leave behind, both friends and family, and other drivers that really makes me mad.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Enough about the motorcyclist; how's B doing? Is he okay?
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

No idea - will find out later. I'm hoping personnel give him some compassionate leave.

Rapscallion

Comment

Give B a squish from me. And you can tell him it's from a random girl in South Africa.
              As for the biker, he really should have been more careful
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Wow, that's some bad stuff there. I've known someone who was involved in a silmiler accident, where he had no way of avoiding the other driver. Just be there for him, and keep pounding the fact that it wasn't his fault into him if he seems to be thinking he could have done something. Try to get him into councilling if it is available. That kind of thing can leave a bad case of survivor's remorse.

Best wishes to B from some random geek in the states.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Give B a hug for me. I know what it's like to have bikers/other drivers try to thread the needle; once we were almost involved in a massive wreck because some idiot in the far left lane noticed his (right hand) exit only when he was passing it.

It seems to me that the bike was following way too close to the digger.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Lots of *hugs* to B.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Huggles from the "pretty little gay thing" in NC, too!
                      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

The driver went out for a test with another experienced driver on Saturday to get his confidence back. He's devastated, but coming around slowly.

The biker is apparently on the mend, but it's slow going.

Rapscallion

Comment

Thanks for the update, Raps.

To your driver, hang in there.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Come on, driver-man, you can do it! Hang in there, mate!
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Hugs and back-pats to B from the little redhead in Kansas.

And hugs and back-pats to you, Raps, for being the caring sort.

Comment

Working...
                              X