Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why take a job you're just not cut out for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
    Well, the question isn't "why do you take a job you're not suited for?" It's "Why do you stick around once you realize the problem?"
    I think that's probably a better way to put it, thanks.

And I suppose to some extent I knew money and circumstances would be the top two reasons, but it still always makes me wonder. As I said - I put forth my all in everything I do, workwise, and even if I hate my job/boss/whatever, I try not to let it show...which is why it confuses me when people basically allow themselves to become those employees we whine about on here in the "Cursing Out Coworkers" and "Sightings" forums.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
      Well, the question isn't "why do you take a job you're not suited for?" It's "Why do you stick around once you realize the problem?"
      True. Many's the time I didn't realize I wasn't suited for a job until after I got it. What looks good on paper doesn't always, or even often, translate to real life. You may get the job, be eager to start, then discover that the boss is psycho, your coworkers are lazy backstabbers, the system is beyond obsolete, the place is a health hazard and OSHA nightmare, etc.

I don't seek out jobs I'm not suited for. When I read the job listings, I immediately dump ones that require a skill or degree I don't have, or knowledge of a tool or system I've never used or heard of.

Sometimes I've had to leave a job when I didn't have another lined up. If it's a choice between my health/sanity or having money, I'll take my health and sanity any day. Yes, it sucks being unemployed and stone broke, but life is too short to have to put up with abuse, bullying, or hazardous work conditions.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Dealing with sucky customers and stupid metrics is less stressful than being evicted and falling into debt.

Comment

Working...
        X