This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Hapsburg

In my line of work, inheritable mutations are worth their weight in rare and valuable things.

There are a few different ways of inducing these mutations; exposure to radiation, exposure to chemical mutagens, injections with flourescing protiens, or by inbreeding.

While my boss is busy trying to make the mutations with flourescing proteins, I started with inbreeding.

Now, being myself my first inclination was to name it Project:Bubba. Then I started thinking:

-I'm in the South
    -Protestors are not unheard of in this type of work
    -The local police would be the ones showing up to deal with the protestors
    -The local police are Bubbas (and 'Bubbas' come in all shapes and colors)
    -Perhaps I should not insult those who will be protecting my research and myself.

So I needed some other name that denoted catastrophic levels of inbreeding.

And then I thought European royalty! The poster children for inherited diseases!

Thus was Project: Hapsburg born. There are currently four colonies: Portuguses, Spanish, Austrian, and Illegitemate.

I love my job.

Ok, you crack me up.

Oh, and for those who don't actually get to play with real life bugs for breeding, you could always check out A Tale in the Desert.

The game itself is really, really involved. But one of the many things you can do in the game is to cross breed scarab beetles to make pretty patterns.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Hey! I've got an inherited mutation - I object!

Yep, wonky pinky fingers run in my family.
      Last edited by cinema guy; 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

When you're tired of the Hapsburgs, you can always go in for the descendants of Queen Victoria with their inherited haemophilia.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Don't forget the Ptolemies.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Ok, you crack me up.
            ^-.-^
            w00t! I'm amusing!

Quoth cinema guy View Post
            Hey! I've got an inherited mutation - I object!

Yep, wonky pinky fingers run in my family.
            A friendly word of advice: If you find yourself in the company of geneticists, you might want to keep quiet about that. Trust me, they don't love you, they only want you for your DNA.

Quoth Seshat View Post
            When you're tired of the Hapsburgs, you can always go in for the descendants of Queen Victoria with their inherited haemophilia.
            The Windsors? Truthfully I'm better at some of the older dynasties. Ya know, the ones that aren't completely terrified of anything to do with genetic modification.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            Don't forget the Ptolemies.
            Oooh! Good point! Or any of the old Egyptian Dynasties. Or the Julians!

So many ideas! Bwaha haaa

Comment

I like you. You remind me of part of the reason I can't wait to get my new rabbit barn built so I can start breeding my Rex rabbits again.

(The other part is lecturing kids on breeding brothers and sisters consistently, and that's why every single rabbit had malclusion, crossed eyes, and wry tail).
              ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                A friendly word of advice: If you find yourself in the company of geneticists, you might want to keep quiet about that. Trust me, they don't love you, they only want you for your DNA.

sadly there are several that want my DNA-let's see what wonky genes does Katt carry?

1-I carry the autisum gene
                2-I have 6 count 'em 6 canine teeth
                3-I have an inherited auto immune disorder
                4-I'm slightly colorblind(rare in females)
                5-my body only responds to plant based treatments
                6-I'm allergic to 90% of antibiotics
                7-I'm a carrier of a mutated form of strep
                8-I've had mono 3 times
                9-I've had scarlet fever twice
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                  I saw one about my hearing, but she was very interested in my bent fingers.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                    I like you. You remind me of part of the reason I can't wait to get my new rabbit barn built so I can start breeding my Rex rabbits again.

(The other part is lecturing kids on breeding brothers and sisters consistently, and that's why every single rabbit had malclusion, crossed eyes, and wry tail).

Thanks!

Do you breed your rabbits for the fur, the skins, or the meat?

Comment

I am Emperor, and I want dumplings!
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        I am Emperor, and I want dumplings!
                        *cocked eyebrow*

The Emperor would not like the food I feed the Hapsburgs...

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
                          Thus was Project: Hapsburg born. There are currently four colonies: Portuguses, Spanish, Austrian, and Illegitemate.
                          Ha! When I read the title of the thread, I thought of a Project: Runway-style show, trying to design a new royal crown or something.

Quoth Igorina View Post
                          Depending on how they "isolate" your DNA, that doesn't sound like a half-bad preposition...
                          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            8-I've had mono 3 times
                            I know this is going totally , but I had chicken pox 3 times.

Light case, heavy case, then another heavy case while I had the stomach flu. Talk about suxor.
                            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                            X