This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Umingmaq View Post
    ...what he wanted was Akiko which I think translates beautifully, but what he went forward with and actually had approved, was Akigo. This however translates as 'Autumn Brood of the Silkworm".

Scholars of the Japanese language may perhaps savage my memory of these names,
    but the story itself is quite true.
    depending on the kanji used, akiko would probably be "little autumn" or "autumn+diminutive." japanese uses the -ko suffix a lot for girls. boys aren't immune, though. again, depending on the kanji. those things give the words meaning. (for example, you could pass off akigo as "five autumns" without kanji. better than silkworm )
    Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

Quoth Umingmaq View Post

A friend who was a bit unusual on most things (he was/is an actual Transylvanian Count by ancestry) wanted to give his new daughter a Japanese name. IIRC what he wanted was Akiko which I think translates beautifully, but what he went forward with and actually had approved, was Akigo. This however translates as 'Autumn Brood of the Silkworm".
      In iceland there still is an approved name list, this is for good reason.

There are no surnames, your last name is <name>dottir (if a girl) (I can't remember the suffix for males) So if you have an outlandish name your children would suffer too.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        (I can't remember the suffix for males)
        According to Wiki, it's sson
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
          According to Wiki, it's sson

As in Magnus MAGNUSSON

Well I feel silly now...
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Speaking of names......my cousin "Robert" and his ex-wife made some rather confusing/odd choices when naming their kids. Their daughter was given the first name "Christy" because she was born around Christmas (even though we already had someone by that name in the family), and the middle name of "Robbiemarie" because "Robert" just HAD to have his kid have some form of his name.
            Then when their song came along, they named him "Jason Richard" (after my father) and his nickname was "JayJay".......which happens to be the exact same name and nickname as my brother has, so it makes for major confusion when everyone gets together.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
              and the middle name of "Robbiemarie" because "Robert" just HAD to have his kid have some form of his name.
              ...He couldn't have just used Roberta? That's not bad, as middle names go.
              God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Well, their last name ends with an "ee" sound, so I think they were trying to make everything rhyme.

Comment

If it's longer than one or two syllables people will nickname the kid.
                  Or even if it's just one... someone I vaguely know, her mother named her Kate to stop her being given a nickname. Kate eventually discovered Blackadder and ended up nicknamed "Bob".

My name is fairly unusual; it's strange in a way that there are two co-workers with the same name as me, when I never knew anyone with the same name as me growing up cept one girl who spelled it differently.

I would have been Andrew if I'd been a boy, and my mother also considered Harriet for me. I would have been happy being a Harriet.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                    Well, their last name ends with an "ee" sound, so I think they were trying to make everything rhyme.
                    I'm sorry, but that just kinda creeps me out.

Along with people naming their twins rhyming names. I'm so grateful Mommy didn't do that for me and Bella.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

• I've only met one other person in my life that had the same name as me but it was spelled differently. Then theres Hillary Clinton and Hilary Duff and you will not believe the grief I have gotten over the first. I was actually named after one of my mothers friends and waaayyyy before Mrs Clinton ever became known.

Everyone also constantly spells it wrong. The correct way to spell Hillary is with 2 L's but my mom only used one. Even my family gets it wrong half the time.

The names that we have (hypothetically and out of boredom) picked out for our future children are:

Marlee Kathleen
                      Preston James (for some reason I really dig the name Preston)
                      Paige Elizabeth
                      Maxim Valentine (I know I know but it was my great grandfathers name)

I don't think they're too bad.
                      www.myspace.com/queenofevrything

Comment

• Quoth Rubyred View Post
                        The names that we have (hypothetically and out of boredom) picked out for our future children are:

Marlee Kathleen
                        Preston James (for some reason I really dig the name Preston)
                        Paige Elizabeth
                        Maxim Valentine (I know I know but it was my great grandfathers name)

I don't think they're too bad.
                        I would probably disagree with "Maxim Valentine" (I assume for a boy?), except that it's a family name, which lets it slide a bit more in my book. Just...be prepared for teasing in that department. I must say, though, I love the name Max and will probably suggest it to Hubby if we ever have Boy #3 (we've got names for the first two girls and first two boys already picked out).

I had a friend in HS named Margaret Agnes who always went by "Meg" and made sure the teachers knew that, because she hated how old-fashioned her names sounded and would get teased for them all the time.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

• I have normal first and middle names, but a last name that sounds like a certain P brand dog food with one phonetic letter of difference. I only got picked on once for it. That's when Little Mr. Precious learned what a real smart ass mouth was, and I got told on for being mean
                          Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

• Yeah...I'm not completely happy with Maxim Valentine either but like I said it was my great grandfathers name and I adored him. I'm thinking more along the lines of Maxwell Valentine though.

We actually want 5 so there needs to be one more but it's still slightly earlier than I really want to be thinking about it. (I'm only 22 )
                            www.myspace.com/queenofevrything

Comment

• Honestly, in my opinion, Maxim Valentine sounds awesome. Then again, I am one for the outlandish.

As for me, my last name is Knight. Quite frankly, I find it to be the best last name ever. And so do most people when the subject of names is brought up.

My first name is the same as my father and his father, and so is my middle name, making me a Third. As a kid, I never liked it much. Today though, I have the utmost respect for it and those who carried it before me. The name itself supposedly means "Great leader." If I ever curse this world with offspring, the first born male will carry the name in full.

Since there were three of us with the same name, my mother determined a nickname for me at a young age. It supposedly means "Great ally." For those with nothing to do, it is shared by two states, an Indian tribe, and a female child actor (Did I ever get reemed for that when she came around.)

As far as Ethan is concerned, she may very well come to like it. When I say I never liked my name, I downright hated it. Again, no idea why, but I did. I've certainly grown into it now though.

Comment

• Quoth I8DaCookie View Post
                                I went to school with an Amanda Bang. Yeah...poor girl. And she was on a sports team so when she played well her name would be announced.
                                What if the principal's office needed to call her down there for something? What if her teachers needed to see her about something? What did they say?

"I need Amanda Bang please! I need Amanda Bang. Thank you!"
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X