This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny the things you realize...

I just came back from the Ren Faire (SoCal, in Irwindale), and realized something. Until a year or so ago, I would watch some of the shows/entertainers, and enjoy it, but walk away without putting a donation or anything in their basket. Since the price for the Ren Faire is a little high, I always felt like it covered the shows/entertainers.

Then I started working in an entertainment industry. People are always calling me to complain that we're greedy, that they shouldn't have to pay us anything for an intangible benefit, etc.

So you know what? If the performers give me even one laugh now, I'll give them something. Goodness knows they work hard, and if I sat and enjoyed it, I should give them something. It's only fair. And now I feel REALLY bad about not giving anything before.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

I don't know if it's because I used to do community theatre, or because I've done Faires as part of a clan, but when I had the money, I always put some in there if I watched / listened.

As for not giving anything before, it's not necessarily a sucky thing. At least you didn't yell at them for sending round the hat, as it were.

Bottom line, as long as you honestly enjoyed it, don't let yourself regret too much. But if you have a chance and really want to, you can always catch them and give a little for past times.
    The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

They have those at Ren Faires? Oooo, I'll be sure to bring my pirate monies to give out (Suzan B.s and gold dollar coins) since there was no paper monies during the renaissance. (TX has a big one at the end of October my bf said he would take me!)
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

They have all sorts of stuff at faires. It all depends on the faire, really.

I understand the TX faire is a pretty good one.

I know that alt.fairs.renaissance used to be a fairly popular group. Not sure how active it is, now.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
        X