This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid computers (rant)

ok, you have no idea how much I want to add myself to that video of people in check it out that need anger management. Our internal website just went down... want to know what is on that website? Everything, LNR contracts, group contracts, hotel policies, hotel contact information, local information, hotel information, special event dates, everything. Oh and it gets better, sense that website is down, I can't force any group or LNR reservations through the system, if it isn't available in the central reservation system, I can't set it up on the backup system. Oh yeah, hotels if they learn of this can get away with murder, because until the site is back up I can't even send a barrier to service form.

ugh, today was NOT fun. (thank God it is now over)
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Wow and I thought it was bad when OUR computer system would crash (and, thusly, not be able to check guests in. Somehow it always happened on MY shift! WTF??) but damn. You win. Hands down.

Good thing the day is over. Any idea why the system went down?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Our computer at work freezes up somedays. It is always when it is really busy, when it does that. So we have to shut it off and restart it. Takes time that we do not have. And to top it off, the owners will not allow us to upgrade. Oh we put RAM in it, but it is not good enough.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Ugh, that has happened to me while working reg desk at a convention. Every single pre-registration order GONE. Be it problems with the hotel's internet or our own coding errors, it happens at least once a convention. The last time it happened, my friend A(whom I've worked reg with for at least 4 years) and I just looked at each other and started crying. My deepest sympathy and awe that you can handle it.
        "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
        "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
        X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          Wow and I thought it was bad when OUR computer system would crash (and, thusly, not be able to check guests in. Somehow it always happened on MY shift! WTF??) but damn. You win. Hands down.

Good thing the day is over. Any idea why the system went down?
          yeah, I feel your pain, times the 100 hotels in my market, and about 300 I can take overflows for...

the good news, I checked the website this morning and everything is up and running except the barrier to service forms. And no, no idea why everything crashed.

Comment

Why in $deity's name is a mission critical application (the website) not on triple redundancy?

My workplace is held together with second-hand tie-wraps, and we still have a mirror in case the main system goes out.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Y'all know how the whole computer system at fast-foods work. The tills send orders to screens in the kitchen. Yeah.

One Sunday we were working as usual when suddenly the power went out. For two or three minutes. Then it went back, the tills rebooted... but the kitchen monitors weren't working. Fun. Few minutes after, the monitors start working. Joy. Then all the tills froze at the same instant, rebooted and promptly froze at some point during booting. More fun. Then the power went out again. After it was back the same scenario repeated two more times.
              Music: Last.fm
              Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Why in $deity's name is a mission critical application (the website) not on triple redundancy?

My workplace is held together with second-hand tie-wraps, and we still have a mirror in case the main system goes out.

^-.-^
                oh you see, but there is redunancy... we can still use holidex.... yeah, I know, I proved the point there.... because if holidex did everything we needed we wouldn't also need the website.

oh and latest update, using the london system we have nearly full recovery... all the LNRs, group contracts, policies, hotel and local info have been restored... however sending barrier to service forms and being sent to london (some poor british hotel is probably wondering why they are pissing off so many people in Salt Lake based on how many barrier forms they recieve before reading the notes on it saying which hotel it's really for) and forcing rates we hope is being sent to salt lake (at least the internal email system is going to the right place so we hope the form we fill out to manually force rates is going to the right place).

Comment

update:
                  yay, it's all working again

oh, and what the supposed reason for all these problems... wait for it... they released a new version of the software without testing it (we think, they made a note on the website mentioning they had returned to the last working release of the software while they were testing the new software).

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    update:

oh, and what the supposed reason for all these problems... wait for it... they released a new version of the software without testing it (we think, they made a note on the website mentioning they had returned to the last working release of the software while they were testing the new software).

*brain asplodes*
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      update:

Oh, they probably tested it. However, did they stress test it?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

What happens in the pharmacy when the computers go down?

Nothing.

When our computers crash we can't enter precriptions, our incoming faxes don't show up, we can't bill insurances, we can't verify prescriptions, so we can fill anything, and the registers won't properly log anything, so we have to keep manual check of anything we sell.

We kinda look like a bad comedy attempt at doing nothing.
                        http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

Working...
                        X