Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bye Bye Birdy (work rant about machines)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye Birdy (work rant about machines)

And there goes what's left of my sanity. Out the window and into the engines of a passing 747.

I post this here because it happened to me at work (approximately half an hour ago). If it needs to be moved, do it yourself.

So my credit card machine went down today, about half an hour ago (give or take three minutes). Just in time for the large group of people coming in (10 rooms) and check in en masse.

They are a little more then slightly miffed that the cc machine is down but I'm on the phone with the support team trying to fix it. What happened?

-The cc machine is down and it's been acting funky since late last night.

-The usual attempts to turn it on and off repeatedly that did work no longer does.

-I have a large group in my lobby staring daggers at me complaining that they can't get into their rooms ZOMG! right this instant! (not that it matters, when I finished checking them all in, they went back out to their vehicles and, I assume, went to dinner anyways)

-I've had one can of soda today. Out of my usual FOUR.

-I haven't gotten around to eating dinner yet because ZOMG we have to get into our rooms NOW!

-I politely asked the service lady (guy? Kinda girlish, husky voice here) how they were doing first before telling her about my nightmare.

-Our cc machine is, supposedly, either dirty or something is wrong with the card.

-I'm not using the machine to scan the card in and the card worked earlier today, could it possibly be something else?

-Nope. It's the card so I had to charge the customer with another card they had on file.

I know I wished the service rep a good evening but I don't think they heard me after I said "thanks" since I started to get a busy tone. Thanks a lot. I understand if they had a bad day and I was being polite, but I was also staring into the maw of an irritated mob here.

I hate the machines at work. They're all outdated and in dire need of upgrades. Quickly.

I keep telling one of our competitors (Crown Plaza) that I should work for them since they're almost always sold out on a regular basis and have really high rates. The afternoon shift lady (V) always laughs and tells me I'd be welcome to go but for some reason I can't seem to leave this place -- granted I also already told the work accountant that I was moving to another state when my lease was up and I really don't want to start over at another hotel until then.

Again, I hate the machines at work.
    Last edited by Evil Queen; 04-26-2008, 02:35 AM.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

I remember that happening at least once or twice in retail situations, and it's not fun shouting out into the store (no P.A.): "ANYONE PAYING WITH CREDIT CARDS (a.k.a. 93% of customers at this store) WILL HAVE TO COME BACK LATER! SORRY!"
    Part of you wants to apologize for the inconvenience and the other wants to just stop working, leave, then come back when the equipment you need to do your job is repaired or replaced.

Comment

Working...
    X