This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it ends....(long)

Last night the inventory crew came in and thoroughly trashed counted all the items on the salesfloor. They were there until about 1 in the morning, which is pretty fast. There have been times in the past when they were still in the store at 4 in the morning.

Today came the part of inventory that is about as much fun as sandpapering your body, rolling around in salt, and soothing your wounds soaking in a tub of raw sewage: Reconciliation!

Reconciliation is when you are given sheets listing all the items where the inventory count, as taken by the stock people and the inventory crew, was significantly different from what our computer system says we have on hand. You then have to go to all the locations each item is located in, recount them, and either confirm the count as taken, or write down what you actually counted in each location to get a new count. If the salesfloor people didn't straighten the floor worth a shit, or the inventory crew turned out to be an even bigger collection of fucktrumpets than normal, or any one of 921,674,782 other things went wrong, you can end up with a dictionary-sized tome of pages of items needing to be double-checked, and you can spend all day doing reconciliation in addition to your normal customer service duties. It's fun. Really it is.

So today I was assigned to do reconciliation, in two of the worst areas of the store possible. First I had to do school supplies. This meant counting all the rolled-up posters we have in 1,639 different spots in school supplies, electronics, apparel and elsewhere because they are considered impulse buys. Took me about 45 minutes to track them all down and re-count them, and I still ended up about 75 short of what the computer said we should have. Oh well.

Then it was out to lawn and garden. The lawn and garden people got a late start on their reconciliation because a truck came in. Apparently, when we told all our vendors we wouldn't be accepting deliveries yesterday or today, that didn't apply to the nursery, because they sent a truck away and the driver had been waiting at the store since 5 in the morning for somebody to come out and unload his trailer.

So anyhow, counting out in lawn and garden turned out to be a super King Kamehameha bi-atch because of the following:
    • We had to recount all the pallets of soil, landscaping rock, cow shit, etc. To do this accurately we'd have to take every single bag off the pallets, count them individually, and then return them to the pallets. We just said "aw fuck it", assumed that the pallets were stacked in layers of 4 or 5 or whatever, and counted them that way.
    • The inventory crew counted about 3,400 4-packs of flowers. The computer said we should about 1,000 more. We have racks and racks full of them.
    • Because the lawn and garden people were busy with the truck, we ended up having to yank people off the salesfloor to help count out there. None of these people knew where anything was, or how to even do reconciliation, so it was pretty much the blind leading the blind out there.

And to top it all off, none of us knew anything about plants and we had people asking us questions about plants. I ended up having a lady flip out on me because I didn't know where the peonies were.

Oh well, at least it's all done. Doing the truck tomorrow will seem like a relief.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I'm so glad I don't work in retail.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

holy fucktrumpet, that sounds shitty as hell

I don't even know WHAT peonies are(other than that they're flowers), let alone where you'd find them. luckily at my store we don't have flowers when inventory is taken. we find out how many are gone when we run out and see how many the computer says we should have

Comment

And the thing of it is, this was a pretty smooth inventory. There have been times when it's taken much longer, as I described above, mainly because we had so much more inventory in the store at the time inventory was taken.

I guess in the past few years I've been more involved in the process than I had been before.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Kamehameha
          Once more, please wait one moment while I hyperventilate.

Okay, I'm done.

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          I'm so glad I don't work in retail.
          I demand that you work Retail for a month. Seriously. When we get out to NM, I demand you get a part-timer for a month at a Retail store. We both know that's what I'll wind up doing.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy View Post
            I don't even know WHAT peonies are(other than that they're flowers)
            Same here.

Bella might know, though. She's smart like that.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Peonies are flowers.

OK, now that we have that out of the way...they look like MANY petaled roses/carnations, smell OK and attract ants like you wouldn't believe.
              Attached Files
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

oh man I remember doing that at where I work. It went pretty smooth in my own opinion. But the recount was a pain. they messed up the count on the leshes. At least the mangers made sure no truck came in.

Comment

Oh, one more fuck-stration I forgot!

Corporate recently purchased new handheld scanners for all the stores, an investment of several million dollars. They look pretty neat and when they do work they work much faster than our old ones.

Key phrase-->>WHEN they work. Because for some reason the scanners would stall and lose their connections to the server when they were being used in certain parts of the backroom.

Result: one day we spent more time booting and rebooting and waiting for our scanners to work than actually counting. And then we had to check and double-check to make sure the counts we had entered were still in the system and didn't get erased out with each reboot.

We made several calls to the help(less) desk; all they suggested for us to do was keep rebooting, which didn't work worth a shit. They also said in some stores, the scanners would not work if there was more than one person in a certain area of the backroom.

Funny thing is, a couple days before we started counting, techs came in to do some re-wiring in the store that was supposed to increase access points and make the scanners work faster. Guess it didn't work and we ended up basically being the torture-testers for the new scanners.
                  Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 05-26-2008, 10:43 PM. Reason: million>hundred

Comment

Working...
                  X