This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Girl Injured

About an hour before closing, a four-year-old girl managed to climb over the edge of our escalator and fall somewhere around 25 +/- feet to the very hard ground beneath. She was conscious when the medics took her out, but that's all I know.

Responsible adult was ???.

Her mother came downstairs a few minutes after it happened. There was another woman with her who I assume came downstairs with the girl's sister immediately after it happened.

First person on scene was an overnight associate who was just coming in the building.

No one on nights knows how to work the floor cleaner, so her blood will stay in the carpet at least 3 more hours until housekeeping comes in at 6.

I'm home now. I've worked for five hours seeing that bloodstain peeking from beneath the "Wet Floor" sign I placed on top of it. There's vodka in the root beer, but it's not helping.

Update: (07/02) Girl is at Doernbecher Children's Hospital. She is in serious to critical condition and suffered a skull fracture, facial injuries, and a broken left hand. She is awake and talking, however.

One of our associates tried to catch her, but did not make it in time. Send this girl your good thoughts.
    Last edited by PossJB; 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM. Reason: Update
    Expect great things, but you'll get what you get.

PossJB

Okay, 1) I wouldn't recommend getting drunk, but if you insist then ditch the rootbeer and just knock back about 3 fingers of straight vodka... That should do the trick... and 2) What the fuck kind of parent would let their kid get in that kind of mess?
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Dumb parent

My little ones are the most precious things i have....im always looking hwere they are and what they are doing, sure the oldest runs off and trys to escape to get into things alot but i always catch him

That parent is something else entirely, unless the other adult who was with the sister was responsible at the time as they were so close

Still it must be hard on you and i can only imagine what you are going through

Orange juice goes well with vodka i found
      We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

It's not much, but... :comforting pats: there, there™
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh how horrible! That poor little girl.

I don't understand why parents don't keep up with their little ones. You see a different tragedy on the news every day or hear of a different freak doing something wrong to another kid and still these parents just turn them loose like there isn't a care in the world.

Steve B.

Comment

I don't get it either. I'm a mum, and I won't let my son out of my sight. I know too darn well what mischief he can get into, and that he runs at top speed, willy-nilly of direction or obstacles. To say nothing of Stranger Danger (while I know most folks wouldn't harm a child, you never know who would).

If that makes me a "helicopter parent" well, I'd rather that than a trip to the emergency room. Or the morgue.

I'm sorry you had to see that happen, Poss.
            Last edited by XCashier; 07-02-2008, 06:27 AM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's posts like this that make me shudder whenever I see a parent (note, I get about 2-3 a week) that tells their kids to play on the escalator while they visit the bathroom.

Are you people out of your fucking mind!?
              "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
              "What IS fun to fight through?"
              "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I hope whoever was supposed to be the responsible adult has nightmares so bad that they develop a fear of sleeping.

Comment

There damn well better be a citation for negligent parenting in that woman's near future.

I'm so jaded that I wouldn't be surprised if the 'lady' tries to sue the store.
                  Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

It happens in South Africa too it seems
                    http://www.spur.co.za/Site_News.aspx?nid=61

Except here a waiter saved the kid.

Honestly, I think that the parents of the child should be questioned as to their whereabouts when the child fell. Because honestly, if you're close to your kid and they're clambering over a barricade of some sort, you're able to grab em before something happens.

PossJB, I reccomend some chamomile tea to soothe the nerves somewhat...
                    *hugs*
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Sometimes, kids get away. A second is all it takes.

I'm not saying that the mother shouldn't be questioned, but sometimes... The inevitable happens.

Comment

Granted it's a bad thing and you wonder how an associate got there first....

But all it takes is looking at a price on something for a child to disappear from view. Many parents would notice it though when they looked back though.

Sad thing though no matter what.

Comment

25 feet? Tough kid, and a very lucky one.

25 feet is significantly more than the distance between our mezzanine gate in the backroom and the cement floor beneath, and I get the heebie jeebies about falling through that sometimes.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was in Target recently when I saw a little boy, maybe 5 or 6, running through the main front aisle near the registers, crying, sobbing, calling for his mother. Apparently, they got separated. Now part of me wants to believe she was up front asking for help to find her son. The realist believes that she got tired of waiting for him, told him to come, then walked away and left him, thinking that scaring the crap out of the kid would teach him to behave better next time.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              25 feet? Tough kid, and a very lucky one.

25 feet is significantly more than the distance between our mezzanine gate in the backroom and the cement floor beneath, and I get the heebie jeebies about falling through that sometimes.
                              When I was a kid my best friend fell 45 feet onto the asphalt below right in front of my eyes. Back of his head just exploded with blood, but somehow he was conscious and lived. Needless to say, I still can't get on a ferris wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X