This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst work day ever!

So about a month ago I was the evening FES. Came in about 3. The CSM tells me that everything is running smoothly. No call ins, no NCNS, etc. Rejects were pretty much done (for once). Breaks were caught up. All was good with the world right? Boy was I wrong... So my CSM goes up to the office to do some paperwork leaving me alone to manage the front in. No big deal at the time, It happens almost everyday.

So there I am bored outta my mind talking to the CSR at the booth, when all the sudden she notices her register freezing up. It kept saying "SYSTEM BUSY". No big deal switch to the other on right. Nope That one did the same thing. Ok odd. The my express lane checker says hers is doing it to. (Oh God no! Pleas God no!) Then U-Scan says his scanners stopped working.

Someone kill me now!

All registers have stopped working. ALL OF THEM! Including Fuel, Starbucks, RX, and Deli. All of them....I of course switch to panic mode. I page my CSM. She doesn't call back. Come on this is reeeeeaaaaalllly important right now. So I call her desk directly hoping she's there. She answers. Finally. *tells her* So she runs down the stairs and tells me to start rebooting all the registers while she tries to get a hold of our SM.

Keep in mind all this time all orders have stopped. Meaning the line isn't getting any shorter and people keep getting in line. There's quite a crowd building up. So we call up every clerk we possibly could to pull the lines to other registers and get ready for the registers to start working again...If they do...So there I am standing at another express lane ready to check out with a lot of somewhat patient customers. At least at first. The SM is on the phone with IBM, we make an announcement, but people keep coming in the store. So since my U-Scan person is so bored and all I told him and and the people at Starbucks to warn anyone coming in that it might be a while before we check anyone out.

Soon people start leaving the store, leaving there groceries behind. So I send all my Sackers to start putting up the cold rejects but to come up the second I call them. Fun huh? So after the first 15 minutes of standing there I decide to just sit on the bag corral and wait. All this time the registers are stuck in the middle of the reboot. It just won't hurry! Then I start praying silently for it to never start working and we get to close the store. Right we totally should right? Well I want to! But we can't.

Finally IBM tells our SM to try turning off the Master (Which apparently is what crashed) and see what happens. Guess what the registers suddenly switch to the Secondary and they finish the reboot! Yay!!! Everything starts working again. We start checking out and the line is gone in about 10 minutes give or take. However we have a whole lot of Rejects now. The crash happend at 4:00 they started working again at 4:45...Yeah it was that bad.

But that's not even the icing of the cake. See the IBM guy came in and worked on the Master for several hours. I of course was getting tills in the safe for the night. It's almost 9. We're getting ready for the pickup. The IBM leaves saying everything is fine and should work now. My SM goes off to do his stuff, and I finish up the tills. I'm in the middle of getting one of the express lanes when MY U-Scan person all of the sudden says that it happened again. I say what? He says "it"! Oh S***. That's right not even 5 minutes after the IBM guys leaves the Master crashes AGAIN!

We shut it down switch to back up. The line dies back down, but this mean we can't use the master at all the rest of the night. And guess what it's the computer we use in the cash office, meaning after we count the money during the pickup we have to go upstairs and type it into the secondary. Fun...Which means the morning accountant was gonna have a lot of fun. So yeah I'm sure y'all can imagine some of the SCs my Cashiers had to deal with. To this day I will always remember that day as the worst day at work ever!

Don't jinx yourself. It'll get worse. It always does.

I thought it was bad when I had my first Worst Day Ever, which turned into Hellish Weekend as my worst day ever.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      Don't jinx yourself. It'll get worse. It always does.

I thought it was bad when I had my first Worst Day Ever, which turned into Hellish Weekend as my worst day ever.
      Pah! I see your weekend and raise it to a state of emergency running for three weeks!
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        Pah! I see your weekend and raise it to a state of emergency running for three weeks!
        No no! Shh! Don't say things like that. Especially on the eve of our full time overnighters 3 week vacation! Now you're gonna jinx it!

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
          No no! Shh! Don't say things like that. Especially on the eve of our full time overnighters 3 week vacation! Now you're gonna jinx it!
          Apologies, I wasn't clear, that was my 'worst day' last summer...

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
            Wow, I don't remember this story!

I think I'll call with having to boot a bunch of people out of the cabin at my NC hotel because two guys got into a pissing contest and tried to kill each other. I'd never seen so many cops that wasn't on TV!
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Wow, I don't remember this story!
              Well.

We had had a a lot of rain leading up to last summer, the ground was absolutely saturated and the run off drains were all full.

Then on the 20th of July 2 months rain fell in just under 24 hours.

This lead to a lot of surface water run off and associated flooding.

In addition the hills and welsh mountains had also received unprecedented amounts of rain.

This took 24-48 hours to reach this location and the flooding was worse.

The local water treatment plant became flooded and the water supply was cut off to prevent dirty water contaminating the pipes etc.

We then received news that the local (major) substation was at risk, in 12 hours a bund was erected around it to protect it the water came within an inch of breaching the defences. If it had the entire county and a fair part of Wales and the rest of England would have had to have been evacuated. (No water/electricity = bad things)

It took a week to get back into the water plant to asses the damage.

It took two further weeks to get the water back on line.

In those three weeks the county survived on bottled water handed out at distribution points around the county and water in bowsers, towards the end we had well over 1500 bowsers, but all that water in the bowsers had to be boiled before use.

It was an interesting time.

Comment

Does the area still look like it was flooded? Back when I lived in TN, it would flood the valley off the Cumberland Platue every year for months on end. It would never fully dry out. Mom says that if it ever did dry out, it would just get flooded again.

And people bitched every year after the valley flooded too. Gee, that's what you get for building your house in the flood plains! Ever notice why you were unable to get flood insurance?

Comment

ok Crazylegs...you win. only think i have that comes close to that is win the entire Greater Houston area evacuated when Hurricane Rita hit. Now those were interesting times...

Comment

Does the area still look like it was flooded?
                    Nah, it was a 1 in a 100 year event (apparently) so pretty much most things are back to normal, some people aren't yet back in their houses but that's due to a shortage of builders and the huge amount of work that had to be done.

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
                      ok Crazylegs...you win. only think i have that comes close to that is win the entire Greater Houston area evacuated when Hurricane Rita hit. Now those were interesting times...
                      My EX evacuated to Livingston. Right in the way of the hurricane. Under my orders. I still wish he'd drowned or something. (He was an ass)

Comment

Well it sounds like you did a good job handling a very stressful situation
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                        X