This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *headdesk*

My mounting frustration will be evident from this timeline...

3 months ago: get promoted. one of my new jobs is writing and editing the newsletter that goes out to playing members. Yay! Writing is cool. We only have 6 weeks to bust this thing out, but we can do it.

2 months ago: we get copy together, get what we think is a decent version, it goes around to bosses for approval.

3 weeks ago: Our artist suddenly comes storming over to my desk. "Did you hear? They're sending it out as an email!" UHHHHHH......Our members will have a fit. Plus they did not even tell our artist that it would be web format, not print! For 2 weeks they knew, and didn't tell her!!!

1 week ago: "Oh, artist, don't say those two weeks were wasted time, it wasn't wasted!" Working on the wrong format for two weeks, when she could've been doing it for web? Yeah, wasted.

Today: Boss: "Hey, is this getting emailed, or posted on our website? Has anyone told the website guys that this is going up? do we have text for the email letting the members know they can go download this? Will it be password-protected?"

The kicker? This stupid thing goes up on the 24th!!!! Yes, that's right, the day after tomorrow..and we don't even know if the web guys know it's coming.

"Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

this sounds almost like an abbot and Costello skit. i wanna ask who's on first, but i might get hit. you definitely have my sympathy. have a cookie on me, they go well with baileys
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
      this sounds almost like an abbot and Costello skit. i wanna ask who's on first, but i might get hit. you definitely have my sympathy. have a cookie on me, they go well with baileys
      Oh dude, trying to get things approved around here is SO like Who's On First. I should write that up, in fact....

Sigh. I need to go get more of my gummi brains. My real brain is beginning to feel like a gummi brain...

*gratefully takes cookie*
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Update!

Oh, and now, TWO DAYS before this is scheduled to hit the website, the CEO wants copy changes, image changes, cover changes, oh and just possibly a name change as well.

I think our poor artist is going to explode.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
          Oh, and now, TWO DAYS before this is scheduled to hit the website, the CEO wants copy changes, image changes, cover changes, oh and just possibly a name change as well.

I think our poor artist is going to explode.
          ok, now take the cookies and the baileys this time, dunk in the baileys and rest that weary brain. the stupid is strong at your work

Comment

the stupid is strong at your work
            Oh, it gets better.

So I was writing a piece about a group of our members who had a party dressed like pirates. Very cute story. I used the word "corsairs."

My manager doesn't know the word and wants to cut it. already I'm like because "corsair" is not a hard word, nor an obscure one.

So my email back to her maintains that it's a fairly common word, and that my coworkers knew what it meant. Well, naturally, that got read as being snippy (which ok, it might've been a little bit, my fault), and I got a lecture about using vocab that our members are familiar with, because they're under-educated, etc (which I'm not convinced of, anyway).

1. Weren't they just telling me that we're trying to phrase our stuff to give ourselves a more sophisticated image?

2. I think they really just want a typist, since I NEVER win any battles over words. And it's not like I use high-faluting words--my manager has a Masters in English, and I don't have a degree at all. (I read an insane amount, but no degree) Not a single battle.

3. then, when after a battle over a word choice, I tell them to pick something that they want to use because I simply don't care what word they use, I get told that I need to care because otherwise my writing will be boring.

4. Cor-freaking-sair??? NOT A HARD WORD!

Comment

FATAL NEURO ERROR, PHYSICAL MEMORY DUMP

Oh, it gets better.

So I was writing a piece about a group of our members who had a party dressed like pirates. Very cute story. I used the word "corsairs."

My manager doesn't know the word and wants to cut it. already I'm like because "corsair" is not a hard word, nor an obscure one.

So my email back to her maintains that it's a fairly common word, and that my coworkers knew what it meant. Well, naturally, that got read as being snippy (which ok, it might've been a little bit, my fault), and I got a lecture about using vocab that our members are familiar with, because they're under-educated, etc (which I'm not convinced of, anyway).

1. Weren't they just telling me that we're trying to phrase our stuff to give ourselves a more sophisticated image?

2. I think they really just want a typist, since I NEVER win any battles over words. And it's not like I use high-faluting words--my manager has a Masters in English, and I don't have a degree at all. (I read an insane amount, but no degree) Not a single battle.

3. then, when after a battle over a word choice, I tell them to pick something that they want to use because I simply don't care what word they use, I get told that I need to care because otherwise my writing will be boring.

4. Cor-freaking-sair??? NOT A HARD WORD!
              buh? i.... but.... thats... ooooowwww o.o x.x >.< o.o ok, brain reboot.

im sorry, i retract my last statement about strong stupid. not only is the stupid strong, so is the moron, the idjit, and the fucktard. the rere bus takes all of them to work doesnt it.

BAH!! cookies arent gonna cut it this time. lets have jester start pouring and we will drink till we can understand their thinking. have poison controll on hand as i think its gonna be a looooong night

Comment

You sound like you could use a brandy old-fashioned or 20. I make a mean one.

Hell, I'd just open up the liquor cabinet and start experimenting after going through all that.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

lets have jester start pouring and we will drink till we can understand their thinking.
                  Oh. Heck. YES. PLEASE.

*groan* And it doesn't help that the stress has made me an insomniac for the past 3 nights. I'm so tired today that I can barely keep my eyes open (that's after caffeine), I have to read sentenced 3 times before they make sense, my typing is shot to hell, and my idea of "creative writing" is something just short of utter drivel.

(Though last night I did discover that Ben & Jerry's + Gosling's is pretty awesome mood therapy)
                  Last edited by JoitheArtist; 07-23-2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Oh. Heck. YES. PLEASE.

*groan* And it doesn't help that the stress has made me an insomniac for the past 3 nights. I'm so tired today that I can barely keep my eyes open (that's after caffeine), I have to read sentenced 3 times before they make sense, my typing is shot to hell, and my idea of "creative writing" is something just short of utter drivel.

(Though last night I did discover that Ben & Jerry's + Gosling's is pretty awesome mood therapy)
                    sounds like its time to get you some serious help. i find that a nice hot soak in the tub accompanied by a tall glass of Elijah Craig and sprite make most of my troubles go away, and makes it easy to sleep. this screams for calgon to take you away. maybe after this is all over hit a day spa to decompress. although my method will only cost you $38 for the bourbon and $1.50 for the sprite. either way you need a break hon.

Comment

sounds like its time to get you some serious help. i find that a nice hot soak in the tub accompanied by a tall glass of Elijah Craig and sprite make most of my troubles go away, and makes it easy to sleep. this screams for calgon to take you away. maybe after this is all over hit a day spa to decompress. although my method will only cost you $38 for the bourbon and $1.50 for the sprite. either way you need a break hon.
                      Fortunately, the reason I'm only working a half-day Friday is because I'm going on a spiritual retreat starting that afternoon. a SILENT retreat. I.e., no-one talking to me for TWO DAYS. I don't have to talk to anyone for two days. 'Twill be heaven on earth, I think.

Never have tried bourbon; I'm a little resistant to buying things I've never tasted, but I might try it. Though I might just settle for my rum-soaked Black Russian cake.

Comment

Fortunately, the reason I'm only working a half-day Friday is because I'm going on a spiritual retreat starting that afternoon. a SILENT retreat. I.e., no-one talking to me for TWO DAYS. I don't have to talk to anyone for two days. 'Twill be heaven on earth, I think.

Never have tried bourbon; I'm a little resistant to buying things I've never tasted, but I might try it. Though I might just settle for my rum-soaked Black Russian cake.
                        a silent retreat sounds very nice, especially after a week in my call center. as for the bourbon its an aquired taste, but something you try the good stuff and not whatever a bar has. the best one i have had is elijah craig barrel reserve, but thats a tough one to get, you might try and see if your local seller has a mini of evan williams, or knob creek, if you can find wild turkey special reserve in a mini that would work too. but remember to respect the bourbon. too many people dont and then shoot it, especially on the first time, its a sipping whiskey for a reason. /threadjack

Im curious as to who is putting on your retreat and if they have a chapter/branch etc in OK, pm me if you feel comfortable letting that kind of info go ::
                        Last edited by SteeleDragon78; 07-23-2008, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Im curious as to who is putting on your retreat and if they have a chapter/branch etc in OK, pm me if you feel comfortable letting that kind of info go ::
                          Thanks for the bourbon tips. Will check around.

Actually, the retreat is just with my church--a group of us does this at least once a year. We just called an abbey that's about an hour away and set it up (we used to go to this GORGEOUS turn-of-the-century house in Santa Barbara, but that got too expensive)

You could probably just google "retreat center" and your state and find something.

Comment

cool, thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X