This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you calling?

Every so often I'll be answering our phones, and sometimes we get some strange calls. Not from customers, but from telemarketers.

Me: (speil)
    TM: Yes I calling for (insert company) to tell you about blah blah blah!
    Me: <click>

or a computer will call

I usually hang up before they finish they're sentence. I mean come on they're calling a grocery store. You'd think our number would be on the no call list or something. Especially since we don't take calls from solicitors. We have better things to do any way than listen to a telemarketer for god knows how long.

Of course I hang up on them at home too. Not even a no thanks.

I get that at work too. It's always one of two; "We're calling to give you your FINAL NOTICE that your warrantee on your vehicle is about to expire!"

I'm waiting for that one to stop.

The other is "My name is <Blah> with the Church of Boppity Bloop looking for a donation of some sort! We know you want to give it to us so call me back at Some Number WAY on the other side of the country! You can HELP ME!"

Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      I get that at work too. It's always one of two; "We're calling to give you your FINAL NOTICE that your warrantee on your vehicle is about to expire!"

Haha I get those on my cell phone all the time. And yet my warranty has yet to expire.

Comment

my favorite is the "we've looked at your records and we can cut your credit card payment in half"... it's like really, I pay off my card in full every month... I can cut it in half too, but I don't want to, unless you have some way of just making the credit card company not want half their money, but I know that's not possible so bugger off.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Having been on both ends of those calls, it would probably cut down the number if you explained that it is a business they've reached. That usually ends the whole thing right there.

And at home, you usually get fewer calls if you tell them to take your name off the list than by just hanging up. A hang up guarantees you get tossed back into the queue.

Of course, some telemarketers can't listen to reason at all. Yes, Time Warner Cable telemarketers, I'm talking about YOU!

Comment

5 or so years ago, when I was working tech support, I had Direct TV call me, and started to try to sell me Satellite TV.

"umm..Maam' do you realize you are calling a Cable TV company?"

Click

Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

The other day I answered the phone and heard a fog horn followed by:

"This is Captain Moron, and if you stay on the line you can board our cruise line..."

I think that's what he said anyway, my ear was still recovering from the shock.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                ... unless you have some way of just making the credit card company not want half their money...
                Okay, rule broken!

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  my favorite is the "we've looked at your records and we can cut your credit card payment in half"

This is actually a huge scam, they've tried to get my 60 year old mom with that one, however, she has no credit cards, the attorney general in my state has the numbers their calling from and is trying to find them(they're using cell phones)
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

We got that "fog horn" call in the church office once - most of the junk calls we get though, are all about the coper toner scam, or are from local cleaning/storage companies.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

I keep getting these automated messages. I found that by listening to them, they offer to let you talk to a live representative, or pressing 2 to be taken off the call list. Pressing 2 ends the call, but they seem to have slowed down so far. I'm hoping they go away...

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
                        I usually hang up before they finish they're sentence. I mean come on they're calling a grocery store. You'd think our number would be on the no call list or something. Especially since we don't take calls from solicitors.
                        Don't know where you're from, but in some places (England springs to mind) refusing to take calls from solicitors can get you in BIG trouble.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Don't know where you're from, but in some places (England springs to mind) refusing to take calls from solicitors can get you in BIG trouble.
                          Wrong kind of solicitors, Wolfie.

You're thinking the legal professionals that are the counterpoint to Barristers. In the US, where (IIRC) Eric is, the two roles are both held under the single title of Attorney.

The term Solicitor, in the relevant context, means "one who solicits"... a salesman.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                          X