This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a job!

So a little over a month ago some of you may remember me getting the axe from IKEA (those fuckers).
    Well I immediately started looking, went on some heinous interviews that did little more than suck the motivation out of me and drain my bank account a little further by way of wasting bus fare, and basically spent the last 30-some-odd days trying to view this as an extended vacation with the added stress of abject poverty looming over me.
    Hey, gotta look at the bright-ish side, right?

Well after a sleepless night last night I knew there was no way I was going to be able to fulfill my volunteering duties and had made the choice to call in with the fib of getting a last minute interview somewhere.

Right as I was readying myself to call them and let them know I would not be coming in my phone rang.
    It was a woman from Second Cup.
    We chatted for a little bit and she asked if I was available for an interview today, stating she had one position but 25 applicants.

"Shit," I thought, "there's no way I'm going to beat out 25 other people," but I figured it could never hurt to try.
    I I made the call to the food bank and informed them of what was now the truth of me not being able to come in and was glad I had already showered earlier in the day.

2:00 rolls around and I meet with the owner for the interview. Immediately I felt comfortable with her, as she is a very pleasant and sweet woman.
    She remarked about my "hardware" (read: two lip piercings, spaced ears, nose ring, tongue ring etc.) and stated that while it was not the norm for her employees she could not see it being a problem.
    Sweet! I don't have to spend money on retainers!

Anyway, she kept stating that she really liked my resume and really liked that I had shown such commitment to IKEA, having been there for nearly three years, and also that I was doing volunteer work.
    When we got to talking about what I'm going to college for (social service worker) and where I would eventually like to be career-wise (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health here in Toronto) she told me how her husband, and part-owner of the franchise location, was one of the engineers who worked on the expansion of that facility.

She kept saying she wanted to "give me a try" and I wasn't too sure what she meant by that. She and the manager spoke and the manager also agreed that "giving me a try" was a good idea.

Well, before I knew it I was on the schedule and being told to bring in my SIN card and told what to wear for my first training shift, which is tomorrow morning.

The pay is less than what I was making at IKEA (here being minimum wage and IKEA being about $2 above that) but I really have no room to complain at this point.
    Te hours will be longer which won't be SO bad, but I'm not used to being at work for 7:30AM. It's something I guess I'm going to have to GET used to, though, as I have one 7:30AM shift this week. I think on Monday, but I can't remember exactly.

So anyway, there you have it, I found myself a new job. It's not as close as the Blockbuster that seems like they're going to hire me (but I would have to wait until August 20th for, and is a five minute walk from my house) but I need to take what comes to me as soon as it does, and not sit around waiting for what might be.

I am dead tired right now because as I said I did not get ANY sleep last night - why, who knows? - so I'm going to rest up so I can be up bright and early for my first training shift.

Folks, this starts my new phase from cashier to barista.

Now who wants some damn white hot chocolate!?

I think it's great and I do congratulate you on the new job..... *sigh* and here is the BUT..

why interview with the jewelry?

I do cover mine, I am lucky that I've found a corporate that accepts it.. but they are few and far between. You say the job hunt was bad, we do some times have to conform for our best interests...

Coming from a pierced person, and I joke that you might find the first ten above clothing"..

When interviewing, do you not think that was an issue?

And again..my face is pierced... BUT... I will take them out for interviews and go from there...

I do so believe that we spend way too much time conforming, BUT we do need to a bit to pay our bills
    Everything is great when you're a kid, then you grow up and suddenly you're afraid of the monkey bars...

Comment

Quoth lush View Post
      why interview with the jewelry?
      I guess I've been spoiled in the past with jobs that didn't give a damn what I looked like.
      When I was at IKEA I had all that plus pink hair, purple hair, fire engine red hair, etc.
      They basically had the standpoint that I could staple my ass to my face and as long as I showed up for my shifts and did my job no one could care less.

I know that the necessity to conform to a certain degree is there and I made it clear at each of my interviews that if my piercings were a problem I would have no issue with either wearing retainers or taking them out for my shifts, but I like to present myself as-is, you know?

I would never go to an interview at, say, a bank with them in, but the places I was applying to were mainly retail and in my experience piercings and tattoos aer typically not that big a deal, depending on the specific job.

I'm more than willing to cover my tattoo (and all future ones - ohh once I save enough cash, which I now know I'm pretty damn good at, I'll be getting the sexiest half sleeve you've ever seen! - which will be OK because I'm getting it from the shoulder to about two inches from my elbow and part of the uniform at Second Cup is the option of a 3/4 length shirt so hiding it will be no issue at all) and remove my piercings, but I guess I left them in during interviews because I knew right off the bat that I would address them and show that I'm willing to compromise if need be.

It's not like I walked into interviews with the opinion that if they didn't hire me WITH the piercings I was going to throw a fit and be all butt-hurt about it.
      I know that making changes is necessary and I have always been aware that sometimes I'm going to have to bend to the will of others.
      I may not like it but hey, that's life.

Oh, that and I'm always afraid my piercings will heal up. I've had them all for years and even the centre lip piercing I removed some years ago could probably be put back in if I tried, but I'm still a touch paranoid.
      I love my piercings and I'm not willing to part with them just yet, so I'm glad the woman who hired me was OK with them as well.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        I could staple my ass to my face and as long as I showed up for my shifts and did my job no one could care less.
        So that's how Numbnuts does it....except for the "does his job" part.

Anyhoo, congrats on finding a new job and I hope your customers don't turn out to be the outright snausages you dealt with at Ikea.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Congrats on the new job!
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Yea! I'm so happy for you.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Update: I suck at using the espresso machine (today was my first day on it) and actually made a latte without putting any espresso in it.
              Thankfully I was making it for a coworker so it was ok.
              I'll get the hang of it.

One thing did kinda make me go, "Oh crap!" A couple came in and ordered two small white hot chocolates (my FAV!) and I made them pretty damn good for my first drinks BUT forgot to stir them, meaning they had a whole bunch of syrup at the bottom of the cup and only milk at the top.
              I realised what I had done, or didn't do, rather, after they left so it was too late to fix it.

But I think for a first day on the machine I did pretty ok. Two missteps but nothing major.
              I did have to run and get my manager when a line formed and I didn't know how to make a cappucino to save my life.
              I kind of felt like a dolt but hey, first day making drinks here, people, give me a break!

Oh, and I dispense the UGLIEST looking whipped cream on the planet! If you ever come into this particular coffee shop and want whipped cream on a drink I'm making... skip it, trust me.

The frozen drinks I can do, though. I hope people just keep ordering those and only those.

I'll get better at it. My manager has confidence in me and I know with a little more practice I should have it down in no time.
              Last edited by rerant; 08-07-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Congratulations and
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                  A couple came in and ordered two small white hot chocolates (my FAV!)
                  If you mean hot chocolate made with white chocolate, that sounds groin-grabbingly good. I loves me some white chocolate.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    If you mean hot chocolate made with white chocolate, that sounds groin-grabbingly good. I loves me some white chocolate.
                    Ayup. Tasty stuff.

I still prefer a Chai-spice "Latte" though.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

You and me both! I could care less about how good whip cream looks on top of my drink, I'll still eat it! Grats on the new job, rerant!
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Oh it is the greatest thing in the world and quite literally the reason why I even considered applying there in the first place.
                        Just having constant free access to it warms my cold, dead heart.

Comment

Congratulations on the new job (and the opportunity to have white hot chocolate)!
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                          X