This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager who did not go by guidelines & customer

The dept. I report to at the university where I work, Visitor Parking/Community Relations, made a set of guidelines for us to follow. I work as a parking attendant for the Visitor Parking garage, & I work inside a booth. One of the guidelines states that Visitor Parking is not free. There is a sign stating Visitor Parking is $5.00 per vehicle. One of my co-workers, who was covering for the second shift until someone else was found to work that shift, told me that the dept. manager told him to let everyone arriving to park know that they have to pay for their parking inside the school before exiting the garage & that he could not raise the exit gate for anyone wanting out for free.

Today a guest arrives to park for new student Orientation, & I explain to her & her daughter that it is $5.00 to exit the garage & where to pay for her parking inside the school. She enters the garage.

She drives up to the exit & presses the call box. The phone call is transfered to dispatch, who then transfer the call to me. She tells me she was only in the garage to drop off her daughter to Orientation & to please raise the gate. It was a good 10 minutes after she entered the garage that she drove up to the exit gate & pressed the call button to tell me this. I explained to her that I told her of the parking fee & that I was not authorized to raise the gate for anyone wanting out for free. She asks to be transferred to someone who can help her. I transfer her to the manger who I report to.

The manager calls me to tell me that the lady told her she was only here to drop off her daughter in the garage. I told her she was parked in the garage for a while. The manager told me the lady lied to her, but to raise the gate anyway. Why did she not enforce the guidelines? Why did the lady lie to her? Uhh... this is frustating.

Managers are (usually) given the discretion to bend the rules for areas under their care. Some do so for good reasons; some do so because they are spineless jellyfish; and some do so because some issues aren't worth fighting for. I guess it really depends on what the manager is like.

My personal take: Ten minutes doesn't seem that long for a mom to say goodbye to her kid. Yes, she should have dropped her off outside the parking area, but I would have let her skate too. Now if your manager makes a habit of kowtowing to to customers, you might have an issue.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'm with Geek King here. 10 minutes actually seems short for what she did. She went in, talked to her daughter for a few minutes, then came back.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

The higher ups does usually have the power to do things like that.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
        X