This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in the blue hell am I here?

There are some days where I honestly think that my work ethic will lead to my death...and today is definitely one. Thurs/Fri were my days off, and I spent the entire time running to the restroom to throw up every 15 minutes...I didn't sleep at all for 2 days. Saturday morning, I'm about to call in sick...when I suddenly realize, oh shit, I'm working a mid today, not a grave! I was 10 minutes late, made it in an hour late (luckily it was slow and my boss was cool, since even he thought I was on graves that night), but I was so damned sick and tired that I got sent home early anyway. I'd slept 2 hours on Saturday before I'd been woken up by my roommate, since I passed out on the couch.

Last night, I got 2-3 hours, as I'm still sick, but I wouldn't let myself call in since there were only 2 people on this morning until 3...and we're kinda busy right now. So here I sit, so dizzy, hungry, tired, and sick that I can barely stand, and I'm contemplating just jumping off the roof.

5 hours (tops) of sleep out of the last 85 or so, Khiras is a very unhappy camper. At least tomorrow I can call in if I need to and finally go see a doctor...someone, please, for the love of god, end my frigging life and put me out of my misery...

This sucks.

Edit: Btw, I should note that yes, I am considerate enough to not only stay the fark away from my staff, but also to spray disinfectant over everything I touch. I may be working myself to death, but I'm doing what I can to keep my staff healthy...
    Last edited by KhirasHY; 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Are you keeping yourself hydrated? That's the most important thing when sick.

Flat gingerale will probably stay down better than anything else, and eat a spoon of honey. The electrolytes will help balance your system and hopefully reduce the nausea.

*pets and offers gingersnaps*

Comment

Drinking tons of water and the occasional gatorade to help my blood sugar, but it's probably lack of sleep more than anything else...problem is, I can't get to sleep!

Once I pass out, I'll probably be asleep until 2009, with any luck.

2 hours until I bug out of here

Comment

Try taking something with a decongestant in it. If it affects you like it does most people I know, you'll be out in no time.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
          Try taking something with a decongestant in it. If it affects you like it does most people I know, you'll be out in no time.
          Eh, it's worth a try...though I've been downing NyQuil like it's going out of style, and even that can't break through it. The problem isn't that I'm not tired...more that I keep having to get up to get sick.

Oh well, I'm home now, so even if I can't sleep, I have the magic of video games and DVDs to keep me occupied...

Comment

I don't understand how when a lot of people are "throwing-up-sick" that they come in anyway & are barely able to their job. & when you tell them they would have been better off calling in sick then they try to play it off like it's no big deal. YES IT IS! By coming in sick then you run the risk of spreading around whatever it is that's making you sick.
            I rarely call off sick but when I do then you know I'm at home tossing my cookies...lol.

Comment

I wasn't really playing it off today! But they would've gotten crushed by the amount of things happening today if I hadn't gone in...gotta love that dilemma

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                Decongestants usually tend to wake you up, while antihistamines make you sleepy.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The last bout of vertigo I had, I slept for a little bit in the bathroom, then when the sweats started, I moved into the room that was previously my bedroom, which had a futon right next to the air vent (thankfully, the AC was on). I spent most of the night there, until I got sick of using a stuffed animal as a pillow, and moved back into my bed.

Of course, as any movement caused nausea, each movement took a trip to the toliet, and much effort to keep my head still.
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Khiras, if you still can't sleep, I offer my special tonic:

Make a large cup of lemon herbal tea (I say herbal tea because black tea tastes kind of weird in this concoction).
                    Add honey to taste.
                    Put a large shot of vodka in while it's still hot. Rum is an acceptable substitute if you prefer that to vodka.
                    Drink it down.

If you can stay awake after that, well, you're probably not human.
                    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

something that helps me sleep is taking a super hot shower and using a chamomile body wash, and then drinking a large cup of sleepytime tea. doesnt hurt to spike it with 3 fingers of bourbon though.
                      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Another suggestion along the "hot soporific drinks" line is Glögi or Glögg - a Scandinavian drink traditional at Christmas but perfectly acceptable at any time of the year. It can be made in both alcoholic and "soft" versions, as you prefer.

Comment

It is going to take you longer to get well if you keep working and you'll probably end up missing work anyway. Stay home. It ain't worth the health issues.

Comment

A later-on update...

Called off 2 days in a row, then was finally issued a nice, strong sedetive by my doctor on Day 6 of little-to-no-sleep. Was going to call off tonight, but one of my people did something stupid and is most likely going to get canned for it, but I'm going to see what I can do...that, and my fellow ADOS had to work for me last night, and if she had done so again tonight, she would've pulled a 2-week period with no breaks...couldn't do that to her.

So basically, I'm coughing, my stomach still hates me, and my head is pounding despite all the liquids I'm drinking. They tell me I'm not contagious though, figure out how that one works.

I'd rather be sleeping ><

Comment

Booze helps.

I'd take over the shift for ya if I could. But Denver is a little far from Houston and I don't think your hotel would pay me enough to cover the costs.
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X