This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay New Job - Tips?

I started a new job today, working in the back room of a second-hand store, sorting donations and pricing them before they hit the floor. It's good work for good money and I don't have to sit at a computer all day to do it. But the trade off is that I'm on my feet all day, every day. I'm definitely not used to this, so I'm wondering, does anyone have tips on how to minimize pain and stiffness from this constant standing?

Spend good money on a nice pair of supportive shoes. It will make all the difference. I learned the hard way that if you cheap out on the shoes, you will pay. Dearly. And often.

Congrats on the new job, hopefully no (or at least few) SCs to deal with.
    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Gotta second Megg's advice. Go to a specialty store if possible - a place that handles nurse/waitron wear. Also, if you are in one specific area all day, a rubber mat.

Comment

Get a shoe that you can change the insoles on. I go through insoles every couple months.

Also look for good socks so that you don't get blisters.

Comment

Also consider stretching before and during your shift. Especially muscles in the legs, back and shoulders. People underestimate how much these muscles are used but you will start to feel pain over the long term. Stretching can help keep your muscles fresh.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

All that ^^ and do not lock your knees.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If you have one near you, Red Wing Shoes make good boots/shoes for people who stand on concrete for a living. They are kinda pricy, but they were good shoes when I was working at the factory. You may want to see what they recommend for inserts too, so you don't wear them out as fast.

Also, if you can, try to move around rather than stand in one place. Even a couple of steps seems to be better than just standing still. Some of it is just building up endurance, so things should get better over time.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I *don't* have a job where I'm on my feet all day, but I wear light hiking boots at all times of the year anyway. They last for literally years, are comfortable, protect your ankles, and you don't look silly if you wear thick comfortable socks with them (which I also recommend).

Comment

Keep moving, there is a reason why the guards outside the palaces move up and down every now and again, your calves will love you for it.

Seconded on good shoes, shoes or boots is your preference. I go for boots but I've got odd shaped feet so...

Seconded (thirded?) for good socks, just as important as the outer footwear, no point spending $70-$80 is you're going to wear 99c thin cotton socks with them (I really like bridgedale, they are however pricey, £14.99 a pair for the ones I have).
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I use RedWing shoes, they are the ones that have removeable insoles and they fit the shoes to you not the other way around. I had to do mens shoes because they fit better for me. They also can put a waterproofing over the shoes and buff mine out whenever I go in. Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X