Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein I experience true fear for the first time...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I experience true fear for the first time...

Monster movies, people jumping out of closets and panick attacks aside, I dont think I REALLY ever felt 'terror' before today.

So I was pressing pants as usual, and while holding one leg down I took up my Delinter - a heavy duty one, not a cheap plastic one. This one hurts your foot when you drop it. So I delint the pants, and move to place the delinter on the base of the Pant Pressing machine.

And I put it down right on top of the CLOSE button.

Now I was not expecting this. My eyes were on the pants, so needless to say I was quite shriked when the lid started to close ON MY ARM AND HAND.

Instantly my mind remembered my boss' story about another girl who had her hand caught in a press that tried to steam said hand, and he said all the skin peeled off her hand when it was done (Our steam is about 1000 degrees he says. I'm sure he's exaggerating a LITTLE)

Letting out a squeal, I tried to pull my arm out, but the lid is curved downwards - like an upside down bowl, so its not that easy. So I look down and start to hit the OPEN button frantically.

And thank goodness, it opened...

Fortunately, the people who designed this machine made it SOMEWHAT idiot proof. That is, they made it so you had to hold down the CLOSE button and press the LOCK button simotaneously to get it to steam while the lid is down. The two buttons are also about 18-20 inches from each other, so there's very little chance of hitting both WHILE your hand is still on the press (As you need to push hard with one hand on each button)

They also made the OPEN button bright RED. Which is probably why I started beating it while thinking OhSHITohSHITohSHITohSHIT.

After I got my (slightly sore, but uncooked) limb out, I immediately felt myself welling up... hand over my mouth, arm folded over my stomach as I just started to cry and shake...

Yeah. I've never really been truly SHAKEN before. Fear of a customer glaring at me is not the same as this Fear.

So I told my boss after I calmed down, and he was concerned, but we inspected my arm and there's only two stiff fingers and a bit of a red spot on my arm where the lid pushed hardest (My fingers were curved so that the middle finger bones were vertical to the face of the press. That would've been bad if I hadnt' stopped it). It didnt burn me as contact was not long enough, and the press is padded so the heat isnt instant.

It was my fault, I admit. I should've been more careful when putting down the delinter. And I most definitely will be. I felt ill for a few hours afterwards and that moment just kept flashing through my head.
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Whoa....glad you're ok.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Horsetuna, that's a completely normal reaction to a near-death or near-maiming experience. Don't feel bad at all about it. I've been there before, and feeling of the adrenaline going away is about the worst emotional crash you can have without drugs.

Ditto with jedimaster91. Glad you came through it with no major injuries.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Now would be the time to suggest they install protective flip-covers over the 'close' button on each machine.

Comment

WEll, the machine is still cankerous, but I'm being much more careful about it. My arm has no lasting damage (I Didnt even bruise).

I haven't stopped abusing the machine though.

I found the experience quite interesting after the panic wore off, but I'm not looking to repeat it.

Thank you for your kind words though. Sadly, yesterday I ended up burning my OTHER arm on a hot press (Its like mine, only there's no cloth padding on the top -just VER YHOT METAL. instant blister burn). Sigh...

Comment

You made my eyes tear up, I was expecting your arm to melt off just like your boss's story! Don't scare me like that!
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

*gives Evil Queen a cookie* Sorry about that!

In all honesty I dont think I'd be typing much if that DID happen... well, I probably would cause I'm a net-junkie.

Btw, today I moved onto the Shirt MAchine for cross training... the good thing about this one is while the entire thing is the size of a small CAR, the only way to really touch any of the insta-burn parts is if you launch yourself headfirst into it at a full run.

Which is probably a good thing.

Comment

Working...
              X