This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's be like Gamestop

So I mentioned before in threads past about Blockbusters push in Video Games, I've also mentioned how I find this to be a bad move because they're gonna get stomped by the competition, mainly...Gamestop.

But it's not just in game focus that Blockbuster is attempting to be like that infected tumor of the retail market oh no... We apparently wanna take on their business practices as well...What am I talking about?

Reserves.

Yes reserves, I didn't even know Blockbuster did reserves until I started working there, but I thought it was kinda cool... I like reserves, I've reserved a few things myself in fact, so this is not a thread about the ethics of holding items before they're available... But that now we're PUSHING them...

But that's not the end of it, we're competing for hours now too. It's the slow season and hours are minimal as is, but now corporate has told the managers to start handing hours out based on sales. In theory it's a good business plan, put your best sellers forward, but it causes strife on the co-workers now. I'm only getting 13 hours this week (god I'm complaining about more time off, that's so wrong) and now I have to fight for even that.

I don't even understand the push, Blockbuster is stapled in a rental business, why are we pushing the retail items? We're not gonna be getting any LESS rentals if we sell reserves... This practice only means we risk not gaining our money back from rentals (each rental needs to be rented 4 times to make profit)...

Blockbuster is already in a business that's circling the drain as online rental companies and digital distribution becomes more and more accessible... I haven't seen any indication that we're swapping from rental to retail...so what gives?

I always liked the services I was told to sell at Blockbuster, the Rewards plan and Game/Movie Pass are actually pretty damn good depending on your rental habits, and I was never penalized for NOT selling them. Like I mentioned I like reserves, but not when they're forced on people. That's unnecessary. Most people likely to reserve something come into a store with intent to reserve.

For more info on why Gamestop is not a good place see Zero Originality (Probably already posted here, and no I'm not the dude who made it)
    "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
    ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Why do people think that copying some other business works? That works, what, maybe 1% of the time? "Oooh, that business over there offers this, so let's do the same thing!" Um...no. Come up with your own ideas people! It does no good to market something that's already out there. Come up with a competing idea. Argh.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Lets be like Gamestop
      Lets not.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
        Why do people think that copying some other business works? That works, what, maybe 1% of the time? "Oooh, that business over there offers this, so let's do the same thing!" Um...no. Come up with your own ideas people! It does no good to market something that's already out there. Come up with a competing idea. Argh.
        it depends on which ideas you steal, for instance Sam Walton created Wal Mart by taking several successful ideas from several retailers, and I'd say things worked out OK for Wal Mart

Comment

Now if they started carrying Mac software I'd be interested... but ... *sigh*

but the link is "broken" slightly Youtube says "This account is suspended."
          but a quick google search found it alive at gametrailers.com - i was going to post the link but the thing's really NSFW
          Last edited by PepperElf; 09-27-2008, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X