Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

....steak? Really? You REALLY think I want to buy that....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....steak? Really? You REALLY think I want to buy that....

out of the back of your non-freezer truck. When you smell like an ashtray that hasn't been emptied in years. And your apron looks like it has seen better days.

And you just walked off the street, claiming to have sold it to a woman named 'Judy'. I know no one by that name. No one by that name works here. Or in the store next door. Or in the two empty stores beyond that one. And the landlord owns the store next door, so I know it's not her. And we're the only stores for about a block around here.

Huh.

At which point you tell the gent to bugger off.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

yeah.. I see that every once in a while. Guy drives up with a "FANNNNNTASSSSTIC DEAL!!" and proceeds to open a COOLER in his TRUNK!! uh.. yeah.. If I wanted to have adventures in Ptomaine I'd eat at the local soup kitchen!

And.. GAS STATION?!?!? I have bad memories of CANNED GOODS ruining my health from you people.. you think puttin up a plastic sign makes me all warm and happy about buying FOOD from you?!?!?

Comment

When I was in high school, a kid my age was going around the neighborhood trying to sell steak. He didn't even have a cooler or a car. He just draped it over his shoulder and walked door to door. I of course told him to piss off. A few days later, I saw this kid roaming the halls of my school! I think he was a grade level below me, which is why I didn't recognize him the first time around.

Olive juice you too.

Comment

OMG!!! This happened to me today!

My doorbell rang and I answer it. Some guy points to the shirt he was on that says *SOMETHING* Distributing and opens with "Do you like steaks?"

Immediately I'm like So I say "Maybe...Why?"

Him: I just got done with a delivery and I wanted to get rid of them. Just $3 each!!! *twitch*
          Me: Umm..thats okay. I think I'll pass.
          Him: What?! You dont eat steak? What about chicken seafood, pork, shrimp...?*twitch*
          Me: No thats okay. Really. But thanks.
          Him: Why would you want to go to the store and pay all this money? (Maybe b/c then I know you werent rubbing ur ass or something worse on my meat?) Theyre in my truck for just $3!
          Me: Its ok. *I close my door*

Seriously...he was twitching, scratching and jumping the entire time..umm...not sure here, but it may be he wanted money for a fix..! Duh..

Comment

Had a dude come by the other week with a cooler on the back of a Ford Ranger claiming to be from a meat company, and he'd sell me Omaha steaks for $3 a piece (you can't even get a hot dog for that he said).

Comment

No hotdogs for 3$ Where the heck does he shop? Hot dogs are 88 cents a package and the buns are $1.05. And that gives me 8!
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

That happened to my mom the other day! She looked at the driver and said "You're not the Schwann's man, and I don't know where your meat's been. Go away." Or somethng to that effect.

That's just creepy. But hey, in high school in El Paso, we always had people carrying coolers of burritos and tamales, trying to sell them to us during lunch, since we had an open campus, and could leave. They'd wait on the corner, by the Dairy Queen and ambush people who just wanted a hunger buster...

Comment

A little googling found me this somewhat interesting blog entry. Seems these companies have a tendency to rip off their salesfolk as well as their customers.

Though I keep hearing about these meat-from-a-trunk sales, I've never personally run into it. Instead I've gotten attempted sales of paintings-from-a-pickup and entertainment-centers-from-an-SUV. The latter guy was hanging around the bank ATMs hoping people would be willing to withdraw a few extra hundred bucks to buy one of his suspicious systems. Gosh, how did I ever restrain myself from taking such a deal?

Comment

My boss and I buy from a truck. but its a well known and trustworthy group of mennonites who sell us veggies, chickens and pies, really yummy. boss has been dealing with them for years so I trust his judgement, and its like 5 bucks for a small chicken.

But joe schmoe pickup owner? gfto
                    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Never had anything like that happen with food, but one day I was in my front yard when a guy in a pickup truck pulled up and offered to sell me some stereo speakers. Yeah, I'm sure they weren't stolen.

After he pulled away, I realized I should have told him the guy in the white house on the corner might be interested. What I wouldn't have told him was that that particular house belongs to the chief of police.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Oh man, that would have been a great YouTube vid.

I wanna live next to cops.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                          (Maybe b/c then I know you werent rubbing ur ass or something worse on my meat?)
                          I can't believe that EQ (or anybody really) didn't jump all over this.

SC
                          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                            Never had anything like that happen with food, but one day I was in my front yard when a guy in a pickup truck pulled up and offered to sell me some stereo speakers. Yeah, I'm sure they weren't stolen.

After he pulled away, I realized I should have told him the guy in the white house on the corner might be interested. What I wouldn't have told him was that that particular house belongs to the chief of police.
                            I had a similar situation, back when I was young and naive-ish and hadn't gotten ripped off on several occasions...only I actually bought a set of speakers from a guy selling them in a parking lot outside my bank/workplace (yes, my personal dictionary now lists "stupid" as "me at any given point in the past"). They sat in my closet for three years until my family got a new TV and could actually USE said speakers...though it did entail buying an amp for nearly the same price I bought the speakers ($180). good times

Can't say I've had anyone offer food like the OP, though...
                            Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                            --Unknown

Comment

The meat sales thing is a long-time scam. The meat is an inferrior cut, and often old stuff that has been thrown out by someone else. Usually dyed or even spray painted to look like it's still good.

Here's a relevant warning. Plus, if you type "door to door meat sales scam" into Google, you get pages of scam alerts and news stories.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X