This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a Question.

Okay so let's say that, 'hypothetically', you picked up your schedule for next week one day... Some point later, god knows when, the boss man makes a revision. Unbeknownst to you, you now work a day you thought you had off. But there's no way to know. As far as you can tell, you have the right schedule, and nobody tells you otherwise.

Question, are you responsible for that shift?

This question comes from a comment made by a co-worker when this situation happened to me. She stated that even though I didn't know about it, it was my responsibility to work the shift. This person being someone I previously did not get along with and only just recently came to, if not good, civil terms with...So I didn't push the subject.

But what do you think? I know we employees are asked to do pretty impossible things, like keeping credits or refunds down while still being expected to defuse situations with costumers without having them walk out upset... Like working all day till close, and have your boss ask you to come in early to open the next day... Like being told to keep shoplifting to a minimum, but having so many restrictions as to what you can and cannot due when someone is suspected of stealing...

But isn't this just pushing it too far? How can I be responsible for a shift I never knew I had? How can you justify a Manager changing the schedule without telling anyone? And within the same week of the actual change? I'm not sure on this, but I have heard that most companies have a policy of a schedule being required to be put up a week before it takes place...

So now I'm supposed to appease customers, negate my need for sleep, be helpfully helpless against theft, -AND be psychic?
    "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
    ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Whoever changed the schedule, it's their responcibility to inform you about the change. If they don't, you're not responcible for working a shift that you had off previously.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

As far as I am concerned, a published schedule is an implied contract that will be honored by the publisher, such that only the hours listed on the schedule will be required of the employees.

If the person publishing the schedule makes a later rervision of the schedule after publishing it, then they will be personally responsible for ensuring that all persons affected by those revisions are either informed of and accept any changes to their schedule, or for ensuring that any additional hours are covered by another employee in the event that the affected employee is either unavailable to be informed or refuses the additional hours.

Short version: Your boss changed the schedule after-the-fact. Any fuckups that result are BOSSMAN's fault, not yours.

Comment

At my hellhole store, the union contract states that the schedule is to be posted no later than Friday at 2PM (it wasn't today...didn't get posted til after 6PM). The union contract also states that there will be no revisions to the schedule after Saturday at 2PM yet our manager has been known to make changes as late as Sunday evening. If you don't happen to be working when she puts the revised schedule out, you're SOL.

We are always responsible for our shifts, whether the schedule was revised before or after the designated time it's to be posted. If we miss a shift because the schedule was changed we are listed as NCNS.

Most of us in my dept work every weekend so we're able to check for revisions but if you happen to not be there, you'd better have ESP because they do not call and let you know. I check the schedule several times every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
        Retail Haiku:
        Depression sets in.
        The hellhole is calling me ~
        I don't want to go.

Comment

at my employer(and any other decent employer) schedules are posted 2 weeks ahead of time and any changes must be initialed by a salaried manager AND the associate, so there are no time restrictions on it.

Comment

There were similar problems at the grocery store for quite a while. The dept. managers would post their schedules then one of assistants would 'adjust' it to cater to one of the favored empoyees. But they wouldn't notify the person who's day off just ruined. Then they would NCNS that person.

Eventually, what they did is require that everyone date and initial the schedule when they took their hours down. And management was required to keep the old schedule if they posted a new version. If they changed your hours and you hadn't signed for it, you weren't responsible for the new hours unless they had documented proof that they notified you of the change.

And one Assistant Manager got fired for making notes about 'notifying' people without actually calling them. Several employees presented lists of incoming calls from the phone company proving that they were never called about the changes.

It sucks that management level employees need to be overseen like an unruly group of high school drama queens, but they seem not to have matured past that piont.

Comment

Our schedule runs for 28 days at a time. Our hospital policy is that if a copy of the schedule is made by an employee, it is for their reference only. Meaning you can make a copy, but you better check the original at regular intervals during those 28days. We are responsible for any shift we are marked down for.
              I will say that it is rare that a Dept. head makes a change without the employees approval though. So the odds of missing a shift like you describe Will is slim.
              Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.---Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Quoth Mr Yuck View Post
                Our schedule runs for 28 days at a time. Our hospital policy is that if a copy of the schedule is made by an employee, it is for their reference only. Meaning you can make a copy, but you better check the original at regular intervals during those 28days. We are responsible for any shift we are marked down for.
                I will say that it is rare that a Dept. head makes a change without the employees approval though. So the odds of missing a shift like you describe Will is slim.
                This, my company also runs on a "Check the schedule every time you come in" policy, meaning if they change it, it's your job to note the change.

The only exception is if it changed while you were off for several days in a row, and nobody called you to inform you of said change. Otherwise, it's your responsibilty to keep up to date on it, since it comes out in 30 day chunks, and with life being the unpredictible thing it is, you can expect SOMETHING to go wrong during those 30 days.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Thank Goodness Gracious that at the Gaming Store we have set hours that never ever deviate.

Comment

Working...
                  X