X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion in the Workplace

/sigh

I'm just one of those people who aren't comfortable in overly religious situations. It's not that I'm an Atheist or think that people don't have the right to worship as they please, I just don't like being around it. I was raised Catholic, but I'm not really into any sort of organized religion.

But, I have to deal with it at work. I work for social services agency, a non faith based orginization, administered by HUD. It's a very small agency in the south that has a very Christian (mostly Baptist) overtones in it's daily operations. I have to attend events (no getting out of them) that involve sermons, gosple music, and other aspects that I don't think belong at work. Today I had to attend an event for older people that had NOTHING to do with what we do as an agency, but the director was all about us being there and "mingling" or more like being treated like shit by angry seniors who just wanted free food.

I've had to attend at least 4 events in the last 6 months and I really don't feel comfortable with it. Personally, I would just like to be doing something else. Next Tuesday I have to work what I call "manditory volunteer work", basically I have to work a community event without pay, when I much rather be at home. It will be a very failth based event and again, I don't want to be there. I'm not some general labor or an office-go-getter, I'm a freaking case worker working full time with no benifits (they didn't write benifits into my grant). I'm cool with helping our residents, but I'm not down with working events for other organizations as a waitress!

Sure I can say something, but it won't work out for my career. There is no HR and going higher would not look good for the agency. I don't think people should stop, but I don't like being apart of these things.

Unfortunately this is normal around here in the deep south. People just don't understand that there are others out there who do not share their beliefs. I find that this kind of behavior is in poor taste and I'm disgusted by it.

For whatever reason, I really miss retail. I can really see myself going back at this point.

I agree. Its not the time or the place for such things, and you should be able to say no to going to those events (without the pressure otherwise).

Do you live in the "Bible Belt" of America, perhaps?

Comment

well, it can't be as bad as my mother's religion in the workplace horror story... she at one point in time worked for a native american tribe... she was told under no uncertain circumstances that if she didn't participate in the tribes ceremonies she would be fired. Now, at first she didn't mind because she had planned on participating if possible anyway sense she was interested in the culture... but then after a while it got to the point where they told her that she needed to participate in peace pipe ceromony which she couldn't do (she was allergic to something they used in the tabacco blend... don't remember what though) and they said "thanks for your service, good bye"
      Yes, it was illegal beyond belief, but she didn't bother reporting it because she didn't want to go back and they didn't deny her unemployment.

My worst stories involve customers rather than coworkers... when I tell people that I don't go to bars guests get sucky about how I must be one of those "dirty Mormons" and will try to convert me (umm... yeah, not going there)
      Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM. Reason: mistype
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Hmm odd topic, and weird timing: someone from my job was fired for wearing a pentagram, yet, crosses are still allowed.. I smell a lawsuit!
        Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
        pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

I once belonged to a chamber of commerce that had the "secretary" that for some reason was in charge of the meeting (the president just sat to her side and would only utter "yes, absolutely" when she was pointed at). Anyway.... She started every meeting with a prayer (guests that came to speak every so often were generally very visibly uncomfortable about this!). And it was always a Christian prayer (which seemed really.... slanted and "off" somehow, can't explain it).

Anyway, if a business was doing something for the community (free dinner, etc) -- she didn't want others to know. But if her church was doing a fundraiser (for just her church -- it wasn't to help, it was to make money), she recruited people and took up a good percentage of the meeting about it. If you didn't volunteer, she'd "forget" your business existed if someone asked.

I left after a year (yearly dues, it was up). Others wanted it changed too, but they knew what she said went, or you did. Sometimes, sadly, when religion is involved in places (businesses/organizations) where it's not meant to be - you've got to just leave to avoid the stuff.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            My worst stories involve customers rather than guests... when I tell people that I don't go to bars guests get sucky about how I must be one of those "dirty Mormons" and will try to convert me (umm... yeah, not going there)
            In your shoes, I'd politely remind them that other religions, including Moslems and (I'm assuming that the people trying to convert you are from some branch of Christianity) Southern Baptists, frown upon the consumption of alcohol, so just because someone in Utah doesn't go to bars doesn't mean they're a Mormon.

As an aside, even though I'm a graduate of a program whose members have a reputation for drinking, I'm a non-drinker - dates back to when the "dialy theme burger, fries, and soda" special at the campus pub was the same price as the "daily special beer brand". I figured I could be loud and obnoxious without chemical help, and I come by my thrifty ways honestly (mother and father are each from separate groups stereotyped as cheapskates).
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Being a member of a definitely minority belief system, I really find that kind of religiosity offensive and unacceptable. That said, I also understand the OP's position. The OP doesn't want to attend these functions, especially unpaid, but wants to keep his/her job and also doesn't want to cause problems for the agency. The only way I can see anything changing is to report the agency, anonymously, to HUD. The winds are changing in Washington, and other organizations with overtly religious behavior have lost funding or been restricted in their behavior since the 2006 election.

Reporting the agency now will protect future employees from this kind of behavior. The mainstream Baptist organizations do frown on this kind of behavior; it tends to be promoted by the fundamental, evangelical minority.

Where I live, and is most Northern areas, one of the first things you're asked is, "What do you do?" or, "Where do you work?" In the South it's, "Where do you attend services?" or, "What church does your family belong to?" It's just the way it works there. It will take a very long time for that to change.
              Last edited by wagegoth; 11-24-2008, 12:01 AM.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

As a Southerner who grew up in the middle of all of that, it doesn't bother me so much, but I can see where it can cause discomfort. Even among people of faith, that can be the case as some churches are very low-key and sedate in their charitable work. For the long term, I'd start looking for employment elsewhere and have an exit letter of resignation handy for the day you do leave the agency, one that explains exactly why (politely, of course).
                "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                X