This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn you, IT Department!!

When I started working at the library, we had certain login names for the instructor's station in the computer lab. These logins have undergone many revisions and changes in my 2.5 years there, and we're steadily getting fewer and fewer permissions. For instance, the current logins don't allow the right-click outside of Office programs (and that was a fight to get back, lemme tell ya), nor do they allow multiple tabs. But they did have Windows Messenger.

Well, when the IT guys sent out the new logins, the old ones were still active, and--yippee!!--allowed the right-click and tabs. No Messenger, though. I've only given newbies the current logins. I figure one of the perks of being there longer is being able to use the old stuff and have the frakin right-click.

Unfortunately, as I went to login today, I discovered the old login I was using has finally been disabled. As have all the other old ones I can remember. So now I have no right-click and no tabs and have to drop everything I'm doing when some dumb dumb needs a MapQuest.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

I am Mordak, Denyer of Technology! MWAhaha!

Seriously, no right click? What is the reasoning behind that?
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      Because so many end users are so stupid one wonders how they remember to inhale after exhaling?

I know there are smart end users. I treasure the 1/2 dozen or so that we have. The rest should have their PC rights revoked and be supplied with a dull stick and a clay tablet.

I would give them sharp sticks, but that would be too dangerous.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
        Because so many end users are so stupid one wonders how they remember to inhale after exhaling?
        That's just my point. I don't know how many people I've had to explain right-clicking to while doing phone support. It's like the concept has never been there, despite the mouse having 2-3 buttons.

BTW: It's the smart users you have to watch out for. They're the ones that know enough to get into real trouble.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

the smart users you have to watch out for. They're the ones that know enough to get into real trouble.
          That's why. The right-click apparently gives access to menus IT doesn't want the patrons having access to. Apparently we Lab Assistants are just as untrustworthy as the patrons are. A few of them, I could see it.

Or some crap like that. I think someone in IT has power issues, because we've petitioned to get the right-click back many times and so far, no dice.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

BTW: It's the smart users you have to watch out for. They're the ones that know enough to get into real trouble.
            Correction: it's the bored ones you have to watch out for. These are the ones with the time to totally screw something up without the knowledge to know what they did.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
            X