This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THAT'S a scam!

This is a story from when I worked at a games store back in 2006.

A thief managed to walk out of one of our stores with nearly $1500 in games without pulling a weapon or threatening anyone and he managed to do it so convincingly that the company wasn't actually alerted to the theft until the next day.

It also wasn't an inside job, although an employee was terminated due to the incident.

What happened was a well dressed man with a suit and briefcase came in one day claiming he was employed by one of the companies we buy games from (Think Activision, EA, Blizzard, etc) and had been sent for an important reason.

According to him, they had discovered that a rather large portion of games they had recently manufactured were defective and he'd been sent to collect the defectives. He assured the employee (who had only been on the job a couple of months) that replacements would be sent out promptly and that he was being sent to pick up the games to expedite the turnaround and get functioning product back in the store ASAP. He had an ID badge with his photo and the name of the company, a list of games including our internal SKUs (not hard to forge if you put some effort into it) and an official looking work order with a forged signature from our DM. The thief had done his homework so well that he'd properly spelled the DM's name on the sheet.

So you can probably guess what happened. The new CW let this guy walk off with a whole bunch of games because they were apparently defective. He was not told by the store manager or assistant manager that this would be happening and assumed it was legit because of DM's signature.

The scammer also left a very official looking business card with a name, a contact number and an e-mail and told the employee that he could have the store manager call him if there were any concerns about what was happening (as you might have guessed the phone number was disconnected and the e-mail address was phony).

He didn't bother to call anyone after it happened either. The theft was found out the next day when the employee who let it happen told the manager what had gone down.

The DM was absolutely furious about it, not just because of the dollar losses but because of the employee who let it happen and the store manager who, in DM's opinion, didn't train the employee well enough to be able to spot a con like this. So the employee got fired and the manager got a written reprimand.

This info was related to me by my manager at the time. After this incident, all stores in our region were alerted to be on the lookout for these kinds of schemes and be aware that that unless something is leaving the store in a customers hands or on a UPS truck, it should NOT be leaving the store.

I know the incident was reported to the police and the guy was caught on the security cameras, but I never heard of the scam being tried again in our area and I don't think they ever got the guy who did it.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Wow. I have to applaud the effort, though he got caught. I will have to look for that where I work.

Though, we did have some guys going to all the salons buying their hair products at %40 (hundreds of dollars of shampoo, conditioner, etc.) off to re-sell in their own shop, as they were not licensed and could not buy the products (legally) themselves. Once the hair salons passed around the information on the guys though, they refused (as they can) to sell products to them, so the guys only got 2-salons.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I hope I wouldn't be caught by this scam. Usually recalled lists come from corporate (100% of the time I've seen it) and sent to salvage. Then the people back there fuck around and send the product back to the floor marked down. Then repeat the procedure 8 times till I tell the acting store director and he gets pissed.

Comment

Wowie. Props for a scam well done but it's a scam. Yes, I'm highly impressed but that was just wrong.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I know that corp. needed *someone* to take the fall for something like that, but I think it's wrong that they fired the employee for that, unless they already had a spotty record. If they didn't give any training on how to spot a scam, a new employee may be too scared to make waves by holding up someone seemingly important.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm impressed by that scam.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

As a previous poster mentioned, any product recalls go through corporate and if the employee was aware of this, he would have known not to let the guy leave with the games.

Manager and I felt this guy (or an accomplice) might have been casing the store somehow and figured out who the inexperienced worker in the bunch was, then made a point to show up when that particular person was working, but I saw an image from the security video and this guy definitely looked the part: Nicely pressed suit, polished shoes, expensive looking sunglasses, PDA and bluetooth earpiece.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Damn, that thief really pulled the wool over your CW's eyes.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  Manager and I felt this guy (or an accomplice) might have been casing the store somehow and figured out who the inexperienced worker in the bunch was, then made a point to show up when that particular person was working, but I saw an image from the security video and this guy definitely looked the part: Nicely pressed suit, polished shoes, expensive looking sunglasses, PDA and bluetooth earpiece.
                  A very well done social engineering stunt, but that would have failed where I used to work at. Why?

1. The only people permitted to deal with recall notices were management and senior trusted associates (which I was one)

2. My personal training lessons for new staff has in it's basics how our recall notices are dealth with (ie: unless federally mandated for health/safety, we don't start pulling them until we get notice from corporate.)

3. I knew all our reps, and to be honest, if I saw a rep coming in dressed that sharply, I'd be suspicious. I have NEVER seen a rep in a suit and tie before.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    3. I knew all our reps, and to be honest, if I saw a rep coming in dressed that sharply, I'd be suspicious. I have NEVER seen a rep in a suit and tie before.
                    Come to think of it, neither have I. All the reps I know go business casual.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      Yeah neither have I. I even have a bread vendor who wears complete casual clothes. First time I met him I was wondering what he was doing in the back room.

I've never even seen a corporate big wigs wear suits. In fact our CEO usually just wears jeans and a polo. No Tie or anything. Interesting.

Comment

GameStore owner habitually dressed/dresses worse than I do (perpetuating the unfortunate gamer stereotype I guess).
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                        X