X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

Hey all,
    Last Friday, we had an African-American lady come in at a time when our Loss Prevention officer for the district was in. When this woman moved into fragrance, the LP person (who was in the back office) saw her on camera, notified the police, and then went out into the store to monitor the customer. As this woman was shopping in fragrance, one of the managers followed the lady around with a basket and placed each fragrance the customer chose into the basket. Keep in mind, this lady never once touched any of the fragrances.

The basket was then taken to the registers and put on the back counter until the woman got to the register. Then, each fragrance was taken out of the basket and handed to another manager (who was ringing her up). If was just the most blatantly accusatory situation. It was so bad that the customer noticed it. Her total was something like $600 of fragrance (good fragrance, too).

The reason why she was buying so much? The lady and her husband run a charity which gives jobs to ex-felons at her husband's construction company. She bought all of those fragrances with her own money so these men could have a little luxury that would make them feel good about themselves as they were getting back on their feet. After she left, the LP officer proudly said "Well, at least we have her credit card info"

That same day, a white girl (about 20) opened a fragrance and made a move to put it in her bag. She was caught, but the LP officer didn't call the cops and in fact, let her buy the item and was nice as pie when the girl was leaving.

The very next day, (I wasn't there, so I can't really fully attest to the situation) a white woman went to fragrance and stole $1000 worth of merchandise and nobody noticed until she ran out the door.

This whole incident makes me sick. I'm out of the company in less than 5 weeks and really want to call HR or somebody to let them know that while the LP was racially profiling, we got hit once majorly and almost got hit again.

What should I do?

uh, that's racial profiling. Contact Coporate office and the labor board.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

uh, that's racial profiling. Contact Coporate office and the labor board.
      Seconded. Your LP's actions could get your company is serious legal hot water, something most companies prefer to avoid. You must let them know what's going on.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Contact HR and the local labour board.
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quick Update

Ok, after your suggestions, I have left a message on the HR voicemail and have tried to call Corporate. The phone at Corp. just keeps ringing and HR is always so unreliable, so we'll see how this goes.

Comment

The Labor Board will get a responce. I guarantee it.

Comment

Why the Labor Board? This isn't a labor issue.

Most jurisdictions do have agencies who investigate complaints about illegal discrimination, though. Here in Massachusetts it's called the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimation.

I'm sure most other states, provinces or countries have a similar agency and that is who it should be reported to, should the OP decide to do so.

If they fire the OP for blowing the whistle, only then would it be a labor violation.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I also imagine corporate'll be a wee bit upset when they learn that LP is missing a lot of shoplifters because they don't fit a particular profile.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

What the heck was your manager thinking?!

I'm with the others. Dial whoever you need to, even contact your local union if you're part of one and if they can do anything for you.

ETA: If you haven't already handed in your notice (since you're intending on leaving), do so and then PERSIST. Keep calling them until you get through and then tell them everything.
                  Last edited by fireheart; 04-20-2009, 04:43 AM.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Holy biscuit!!!

Wow...just...wow.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Update #2

I've left 6 (!!!) messages with both HR and Corporate and neither have bothered to get back to me; I'm thinking about sending in a letter if I can't reach anyone when I call tomorrow for time number 7. Every number provided to me just goes to voicemails.

My dad suggested I talk to the DM when she comes in tomorrow, but she'd fire me on principle. (I've seen her do it before). Since I live in Indiana, there's really not a thing I can do about getting canned. However, I'm putting in my two weeks in 2 weeks so I'm not too concerned about retaliation.

I've written everything down in a letter and described everything that I remember. I will definitely be sending it to corporate, but I wonder if I should give it to my store manager on Sat. when I see her. She was there and I hope she will help me do the right thing.

I still feel so angry and sick about this, so I'm not letting it go until I get some response. I'm hoping it won't involve me getting fired. I've worked there for a few years and would rather not lose it as an example of a stable work history.
                      Last edited by Amandarthegreat; 04-22-2009, 05:53 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

If you can't get any response from corporate, and you don't have some type pf legal authority in your area you can report it to, go the the news media. Or, tell HR you will.

I guarantee that'll get a response.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                        X