Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's like Christmas morning and a scavenger hunt all in one!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=lordlundar;541776]
    Quoth dalesys View Post
    12"? Are you sure you're not using ye olde floppy dick bragging ruler?[\QUOTE]

No, they did exist at some point in time. What was the max capacity on those? 128k?
    Per wikipedia (& other sources): 8" floppy invented by IBM ca 1971 as a read-only media for microcode for IBM main-frames.

Original formatted capacity: single-sided, 77 tracks, (26) 128 byte "single-density" sectors per track. 256,256 bytes capacity. I remember using them in Radio Shack Model II's & Model 12's.

Edit:
    I'm not saying there never were 12" floppies, just that I don't remember them in my techyspan (1968-present {hopefully, some future}) and I couldn't find any mentions in a cursory search.
    Last edited by dalesys; 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You didnt happen to find any TRS-80 Model III's hidden in a closet?? I got one of those for my birthday in 1981 (think that was the year) and I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.

We had our Trash-80 until sometime around 1994... I think we still had the 14k baud modem. (I remember the 300 baud modem...sucked to play Galactic Empire on that thing)

Comment

Gah! I can't find anything on the web to show they existed either, yet I have one. Maybe I need to stop rooting through pocket dimensions? Now I need to figure out where this thing came from*, or it will drive me nuts. Thanks guys.

*Edit to add: I found it in a storage room full of broken bits and dust. There was a lable at one time, but it has been removed--of course! That might make it too easy to figure out.

Quoth Erin View Post
        You didnt happen to find any TRS-80 Model III's hidden in a closet?? I got one of those for my birthday in 1981 (think that was the year) and I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.
        Actually, I did have a TRS-80 64k CoCo (Which was the CoCo I, if the wiki picture is right), complete with tape drive, in my closet. I traded it to one of the editors over at gamespot.com for some PS1 games a several years ago, though. He needed one for his collection, and I needed closet space. It still worked when I shipped it, too.
        Last edited by Geek King; 04-20-2009, 03:38 PM.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

spools might be worth keeping tho.
          hell where i worked we'd take any cat 5 we could get our hands on sometimes.

Comment

Maybe someone made up a special 12" floppy as a prank?

I would never ever do that

Kind of like Kin Arad depositing a mountain range in her initials. (Terry Pratchett - Strata)
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Maybe someone made up a special 12" floppy as a prank?
              Hmm. Maybe not a prank, but I could see one made up as a promo item or novelty. It would explain why I can't find any reference to the existence of floppies that size. That's kinda dissappointing. I thought I had something cool.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Hmm. Maybe not a prank, but I could see one made up as a promo item or novelty. It would explain why I can't find any reference to the existence of floppies that size. That's kinda dissappointing. I thought I had something cool.
                GK,
                IBM Mainframe computers used 12 inch floppy disks in the 1970's.
                Link: http://www.floppydiskjournals.com/vintage_computers.htm

David

Comment

Working...
                X