This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land of the soused sun

I've got to say, the one thing I love about this country (Japan) is the cheap and fast availability of beer and sake. (Though stay away from the stuff you get at 7-Eleven, it burns like acid)

Though I've heard of (but not experienced, in my 10 month tenure at this company) students coming in to their lessons after a bit of in' . This is one-on-one, so of course there's no way to ignore said drunk students (not that they'd likely remember anyway)

Many a teacher has told me about these people. Very difficult to teach to. Probably since they can't for the life of them recall what we taught them during the last lesson.
    Last edited by Cedophile; 11-06-2006, 08:55 AM. Reason: More informative
    No good news is good bad news

One of my coworkers told me he always brings a beer to his college classes. He puts it in his travel mug and takes it to class. Either the teachers don't know he's in class, or they don't care.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Not quite the same thing, perhaps, but when I was at college, there was one tutor who regularly took his afternoon tutorial students to the pub. Apparently he'd start getting bored with his rooms at about 3 o'clock, and the 4pm students would get about halfway through the tute before Dr S would say "B*gger this for a game of soldiers - let's go to the pub", and off they'd go. He always bought the drinks of course !

Of course, sherry at every college event including many tutorials is practically a part of life at many Oxford colleges, and mine was no exception. We could also order tankards of beer at dinner in hall.
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
        He always bought the drinks of course !
        I'd want him to be my tutor even if I wasn't taking the right class!

Whoopy! I actually got that drunk student tonight. He wanted to have a free conversation as opposed to the book (WOOHOO), and I spend the next 40 minutes listening to him b**ch about his job, how his boss makes 7 figures (9 in yen), how the "overtime thief" makes $500 just in overtime, etc, etc, etc.

He had some good things to say, though, but this seemed more like a drunken attempt to get stuff off his chest.

Usually during free convo we correct them as they go. Two problems arise with this guy: 1) He's soused, so his speech is slurred and he was twice a bit loud; 2) He had a slight hearing disability which slurred his speech even more; Both of those together made him near impossible to understand.

So I tossed in the token phrase once in a while, shook my head yes, laughed where prompted to, and so on.

They don't pay me enough for this.
        Last edited by Cedophile; 11-06-2006, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          One of my coworkers told me he always brings a beer to his college classes. He puts it in his travel mug and takes it to class. Either the teachers don't know he's in class, or they don't care.
          I scared my physics teacher once. I had a Blue Sky Root Beer can that I was drinking in class, and she thought it was an actual beer. Then she regaled us with her experiences in her youth, when students would bring flasks into class and drink up.

Comment

Quoth Cedophile View Post
            I scared my physics teacher once. I had a Blue Sky Root Beer can that I was drinking in class, and she thought it was an actual beer. Then she regaled us with her experiences in her youth, when students would bring flasks into class and drink up.
            I think I'd have to start drinking again if I was taking Physics!
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

My mum had a lot of students come in after a night of partying, but I think she only ever had one or two come in sloshed. Of course, she had fun with them, asking them all the questions and whatnot.
              God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Working...
              X