This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double scans

It irritates me that people think it is always the cashiers fault when an item scans twice. Our scanners are extremely sensitive and sometimes it will pick up an item twice. It's not because we're "stupid" or "not paying attention". It just happens. And there have been times when I swear the damn thing beeped once but rang it up twice and neither me or the customer will notice until they get their receipt. It's annoying as hell when the scanners pick up an item twice because it makes it look like we're new, sloppy, or just incompetant when in fact that is not the case at all.

That goes along with things that don't scan properly and a different beep noise is emitted and the customer yelling at me that i've scanned an item twice when it actually only went through once!
    Last edited by jjllbb; 04-25-2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Sadly, my wife was one of those people once, even though the cashier caught it and voided it off before it was totalled. As we were walking away, she looked at the receipt and said, "She charged me twice for something!"

I looked at it, and saw the item was in fact listed twice, but had a void for one of them immediately afterwards. I tried to explain it to her, but she just wasn't getting it. She kept going on and on about how it was on there twice. I guess she thought that it should have somehow vanished from the receipt.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

On the other side of the coin... I bought some groceries and one of those little flavoring packets that you can make gravies and such with. I bought ONE of those packets, one flavor, one packet, nothing at all that even remotely resembled said packet. Everything else was cans or fresh meat/fruit/veggies. The cashier picks it up and scans it once, scans something else, then scans the packet again. Then she scans the packet, again, and again. It was obvious it was intentional because she would pull her hand completely away from the screen before scanning it again. This was not a machine being too sensitive type of thing.
        I pointed out to her that I only got one of those packets. Even the bagger noticed and pointed this out to her. Both of us were looking at her looking a little confused. Then the cashier got super mad for pointing this out to her. I only remember seeing that lady once, so I dunno what to think.

Edit: I'm sorry people are such jerks about an error that you have no control over. *gives cookie*
        Last edited by NightWatch; 04-22-2009, 01:54 AM. Reason: eta
        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          Sadly, my wife was one of those people once, even though the cashier caught it and voided it off before it was totalled. As we were walking away, she looked at the receipt and said, "She charged me twice for something!"

I looked at it, and saw the item was in fact listed twice, but had a void for one of them immediately afterwards. I tried to explain it to her, but she just wasn't getting it. She kept going on and on about how it was on there twice. I guess she thought that it should have somehow vanished from the receipt.
          And if the systems were set up to totally remove them item SC would think we somehow added that item to another or something like that.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            This is why I always make a little bracket with a pen to connect the two amounts (the duplicate scan or entry and the void) and I point it out to the customer. Seems to keep them happy so far anyway.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              I guess she thought that it should have somehow vanished from the receipt.
              When I worked at <The Chemists> the new till systems that were put into place did exactly that. The receipts weren't printed until the very end of the transaction so if an item was voided it didn't show.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

The receipts at Walmart don't print until the end either, but they still print out all the scanned items as well as any voids.

I've had customers yell at me before thinking the voided items were additional charges. So an item would double-scan, I'd void it (resulting in three total entries on the receipt), and the customer would think I'd charged them three times.

The worst was when I had a customer who was only buying one thing, which scanned twice and was voided. It took a few mintues for me to convince her that the total she tendered was correct and that she wasn't overcharged. I'm sure there's at least one other cashier here who's had the same situation.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                  And if the systems were set up to totally remove them item SC would think we somehow added that item to another or something like that.
                  Ugh...that is why I hate self-scan.

IT'S NOT ON THERE TWICE. IT WAS REJECTED AND SENT BACK BECAUSE YOU THREW THE ITEM LIKE ROGER CLEMENS ROID RAGING.

...whew.

Comment

Thankfully our registers don't list voided items on the receipt... Still get people whining when it beeps twice though >.<

We got new scanners a little while ago too, and they are SO sensitive. I've had items double-scan in the same half second of holding them to the scanner at least once a shift since then... I just hate the dirty looks some people give you when they don't bother to pay enough attention to see that we immediately delete it!

Comment

Ah, yes, double scanning.

The registers I get to work with go from stubborn and won't scan once to a quick double scan within seconds.

Bonus points if it's something over $5 or it did it earlier in the transaction, and I'm up over $5 for my void total. Then I get to call someone from the service desk.

I hate my registers.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth MsFabulous View Post
                        Thankfully our registers don't list voided items on the receipt... Still get people whining when it beeps twice though
                        I kinda like the listing of voids. If I hear a double beep I can glance at what's being rung up then when I get my receipt I scan it and say - "oh, here's the double scan, and down here is where it got voided." Lets me know what went on.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                          I'm sure there's at least one other cashier here who's had the same situation.
                          More than one. The number of cashiers dealing with this...well, most of our SCs can't count that high.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                          X