This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    Though I did see a video of a guy try to pay for an expensive meal in pennies and they refused, so maybe that law applies to paper money only.
    Believe it or not, pennies are not legal tender. If he had tried the same thing with nickels, they would be required to take it, but not for pennies.

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
      Believe it or not, pennies are not legal tender. If he had tried the same thing with nickels, they would be required to take it, but not for pennies.
      Um, pennies are legal tender. The real deal there is that private business are allowed to accept payment as they desire, as long as the method of payment is not discriminatory. If a store wanted to require payment from all customers in bacon, and only bacon, they could*. Some places will only do payment by credit or debit--no cash at all.

* as long as the government gets their tax share, that is.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Wear gloves, and/or bring in hand sanitizer.

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        But then there's also the law about stores being legally required to accept all legal tender, so I wonder where the balance is.
        That's not how it works. I can't remember the precise way to phrase it, but a store can always refuse a sale. That part has something to do with debts, and I can't remember all of it, but someone on here once phrased it really well, I'll see if I can find it. Also, what Geek King said.

Quoth Geek King View Post
        as long as the method of payment is not discriminatory. If a store wanted to require payment from all customers in bacon, and only bacon, they could*.
        Wouldn't that be discriminatory against customers that kept Kosher or Hilal?
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
          Site your source, please. I'm utterly fascinated, but too lazy to look it up myself.
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I read a news article where a man robbed a bank, and the teller put in a dye pack before handing it over. After it went off the guy actually brought a $20 that was covered in bright red dye and had a hole burned in it to Starbucks, to see if they would accept it.

Comment

Quoth boringscreenname View Post
              I read a news article where a man robbed a bank, and the teller put in a dye pack before handing it over. After it went off the guy actually brought a $20 that was covered in bright red dye and had a hole burned in it to Starbucks, to see if they would accept it.
              There was a news "criminals is stoopid" story recently about a guy who robbed a bank, was slipped a dye pack, and then promptly shoved the money down his pants. The cops caught up to him pretty quickly, and then had to bring him to the hospital with some nasty burns...down there...

Arctic -- a store I used to work at had a notice posted which said "We reserve the right to refuse service" to ____ (I forgot the exact wording). Is that what you were looking for?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

To the OP:

Six words: Breast money is the best money.
                "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                My MySpace
                My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Arctic -- a store I used to work at had a notice posted which said "We reserve the right to refuse service" to ____ (I forgot the exact wording). Is that what you were looking for?
                  No, but in attempting to explain exactly what I mean, if finally found it on the treasury website
                  Quoth Treasury FAQ
                  The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

If I ever worked with money again, I'd wash my hands after every shift and before touching food. Paper money is some of the dirtiest, most germ-infested stuff you could come in contact with, and is often dirtier than the floors you walk on.

Actually, this thread brought to mind this little gem from Upright Citizens Brigade. (probably NSW, and definitely disturbing )

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                    X