This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can shove this job up your

The majority of people on here have quit a job at one point or another.

What are your worst (Or most entertaining) "I Quit" stories?

Mine:

My very first job, I held for only 2 months. The place was constantly chaotic, as management wasn't very good. One manager would tell you to do one thing, and another manager would yell at you for it. They constantly threatened write-ups, over small things to scare the staff .

I went in one evening, and the manager started to berate me and yell at me in front of staff and customers, alike. When she paused for a breath. I just said "Okay. I quit." She actually asked my why. I just told her that I didn't want to work for her anymore, and walked out the door. I was offered my job back when I went to pick up my final pay, but declined.

After I quit there, I found the job I have now. I've been here 3 years. Ande ven though I worked hard where I am, and am the ASM, I still keep in mind that I can find a job elsewhere.

Moral of the story: Don't let people walk all over you. You deserve respect.
    Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

I quit one job by leaving at lunch, going home, and e-mailing a resignation to HR.

This was an inbound sales call center (people were calling in response to ads), and I suck at sales, as I discovered on this job. I was probably about a week from being fired for poor sales (my supervisor told me he thought I was "too nice" to be good at sales), breaking down crying at least once per shift, and I'd missed several days because I'd had rounds of crying and shaking while getting ready, and I had to drive 50 miles each way for this job, so didn't think I should be driving in the emotional state the prospect of going to work put me in. So, one day, I decided, "[beep] this. It's not worth it to keep doing this to myself", left at lunch, and never went back. Yeah, they've got me as "ineligible for rehire". I don't care, since I'd never want to work there again anyway.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I have never really quit in an entertaining fashion, I've never wanted to not have to list a place on a resume/application. Been tempted to a few times, but I've never had that bad of a job. BK was put out that I quit after 2 months, but that's about it.

But when I was at BK we had a guy who left during his 1/2 hour break, came back drunk and said "I can't do this anymore" and left. That sucked though because we were left short handed.

At my current place we had a guy who said "F**k you I quit" and started to storm out. Bossman and myself started laughing at him. He stopped pondered what he was doing for a minute and sat back down.

He ended up firing himself a few months later (which I'll share if anyone wants to hear it)

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
        He ended up firing himself a few months later (which I'll share if anyone wants to hear it)
        [making popcorn] Please?
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          [making popcorn] Please?
          Well since you asked.

In November of 2001 we were crazy busy. Jobs that were supposed to start in May started in August, others started on time, and then 9/11/2001 happened, which set us all back. (And despite being in Baltimore we build buildings in NYC).

It had come to the point that we had to start working Saturdays. Which no one wanted to do, and was the cause of many arguments.

The owners/plant managers decided that those of us in the drafting office needed to work Saturdays too.

I was still in High School but on work release. I arrived at work at 10 AM and noticed that S's car wasn't there. I wondered what was going on, but went inside. Nobody said anything about his absense. There was a note on my desk; Matt, we are working Saturday's until further notice. Okie dokie.

Then boss man came in and explained S's absense to me.

Bossman told S that we were going to be working Saturdays for a while.

S: "No"
          B: "Yes, we all are"
          S: "No, I'm not working Saturdays"
          B: "Well then you can put in a few hours on Sundays then"
          S: "No, you're not taking my weekends away, you'll have to fire me"
          B: "Fine you're fired"

So he fired himself. Which is what was explained to Unemployment when he tried to file for it. They gave it to him anyway since he's Jewish and Saturdays are the Sabbath day. (Then why not Sundays)

His job was offered back to him, which he refused. And later he admitted to me that he knew he more quit than got fired, but he was content.

So was I because I took over running the drafting office (at age 17) and have been doing so ever since.
          Last edited by draftermatt; 11-17-2006, 12:51 PM.

Comment

How I wound up in the job I have is a interesting story...
            At the end of June I was fired (2 days before my Grandmothers funeral) for "making mistakes". It took me all of 3 days to get hired on as a ASM of a flooring store.
            Three days into this job both my manager *who brought me onboard with him on the same day* and myself knew things were SERIOUSLY wrong with this company. We both began searches for new jobs. He got one and I was being recrueted by a large applance company to be a rep. My manager turned in his resignaton while I was still talking to the appliance people so I took over the manager spot,all the while knowing that I'd be there doing that 6 weeks max. But I digured I might as well make more money while I'm doing it.
            There were many things wrong with this flooring chain and not the least of which was that my store location alone was $41,000 behind in rent. On my last day there was apadlock from the lanlord on the door. I was just there to open the store and turn in my keys to whoever showed up. The good thing was that I had a set of broken bolt cutters in the dumpster that I used to cut the chain and open up as usual. I told the manager from a sister stire when he came in and he went into a paniced tailspin. But ti was not my problem anymore....
            Now the karma part of this is that my former employer who fired me for "mistakes" is one of the people I have to call upon as a appliance rep. He is very unhappy about that since I could be in a position to make his bussiness go into some very turbulent waters. I just smile and remain non-commital and make him wonder. From what I have ben told,he's worrying himself into real health problems over what I may or may not do to him or for him. ....

Comment

I have one. When I was working at Walmart. I had been hired on at another company making way more money, then I was at walmart. So when I found out I had that job, I waited a couple of weeks, then I just walked out at my last break. The managers came and wanted to know why I clocked out. I told them I quit, that I can not handle their shit anymore. I got put down as a un-rehireable. I do not give a hoot, it is not like I am going to go and work there again. I have been happy since then, and that was going to be 7 years ago.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Strange Magic View Post
                Now the karma part of this is that my former employer who fired me for "mistakes" is one of the people I have to call upon as a appliance rep. He is very unhappy about that since I could be in a position to make his bussiness go into some very turbulent waters. I just smile and remain non-commital and make him wonder. From what I have ben told,he's worrying himself into real health problems over what I may or may not do to him or for him. ....

That has to be so worth it, to watch him squirm.

I don't really have an 'I quit' story, but from my first job, I 'involuntarily quit' would be the best description. In all reality, they were pretty cool about it.. at least some of them.

I was working as a PC tech for a bank. In the beginning, all was well. My co-workers were pretty cool, but I should have known there would be trouble when the department VP was hired on the exact same day I was. The rest of the department had been there between 20-30 years plus. Young VP, old incumbents. Oh, yeah. Let the sparks fly.

The sparks began on day one, when he started making wild changes to how things were done. His philosophy was, forget the way it used to be, now it's going to be done my way. I got caught more than once between advice from the old heads and the VP’s New Deal, keeping in mind I was fresh out of college with no work experience. I was /grateful/ for advice, but the VP would have none of it.

Two months into the job, they hired a new 'tech'. At least that's how they billed it. He followed me on some calls, learning the ropes. Then, he gets placed into a 'dispatcher' role, where all calls had to go through him first, then he's eventually made manager of the department, under the new VP. Complete 180 degree change in attitude. He went from a witty, intelligent, nice guy to an in-your-face, insult everything about you but the kitchen sink manager.

He had it out for me from day one. Found fault with everything I did, insulted pretty much everything from my maturity to my intelligence (and made the mistake of sending it in e-mail... I kept every one.) The VP then started making me send in daily reports of how I spent my time, with no explanation. I got a nastygram from the manager about why I didn't send it in /the day I got the request/. Dude, I hadn't even started tracking yet! He talked to me in that kind of tone that says, "I am going to make your life a living hell if you step out of line by so much as an inch."

Then, they implemented a help desk system. It assigned priority to calls, and would escalate them over time. They would assign calls to you in emergency status right out of the gate. It was often more than one, and you had to fix all of them in an hour. They would assign more tickets than you could handle in one day, so naturally they would escalate to emergency status, triggering nastygrams from the other manager about why you were not doing your job.

Fast forward to a year later. I’d been fighting through all these hardships, trying to grit my teeth and keep at it, all the while looking for work. Another incident with the department manager was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I printed out the entire stack of e-mails that he’d been sending, and went to the HR Director. When she started reading through the e-mails, her jaw about hit the floor. “No one treats our employees like this.” were her exact words.

I hear that the Senior VP took the VP and both managers into his office for a chat. One of the questions they were asked is why I was being asked to tally my time when no one else in the department was. “Well, I wanted to teach him to manage his time effectively.” was the answer. “Then why didn’t you tell him that!?” was the response. This guy was not happy. Shortly after, a meeting was held with the VP, the one manager, and the HR Director in which he apologized to me. I thought all was well, things were going to improve.

Silly me. Like that was going to happen. Perhaps a couple weeks after this, I get called to the VP’s office for another meeting.

When I get there, he basically tells me that he’d been receiving complaints that I was rude (a story in itself), one department manager requested I never be sent to his department again (also a story in itself), and that I was to find a new job within 90 days. During the next 60 days, however, they worked the daylights out of me, effectively keeping me from searching. So, the Senior VP, being the cool guy that he is, gave me the last 30 days off with full pay to search, and I found the job I currently have.

So in essence, I wasn’t fired, but I didn’t voluntarily quit, thus ‘involuntarily quit’. I think it was done that way because the Senior VP didn’t want to screw with my life, but he realized that there was a mis-match between me and the culture at the bank, and that was very true. Because in reality, I hadn’t done anything wrong. I was polite to everyone, I tried my best, and he recognized that. So I’m thankful for that.

I figured here I’d tell a couple of the side stories. First, how I was ‘rude’. People would call the help desk screaming about trouble, I’m down, get over here and fix it. Now now now now! (insert mental image of kid stamping their foot.) So, I pack up my tools, rush over there as fast as possible, and what do I find? They’re on the phone chatting away. I get the 1 finger ‘Wait a minute’ gesture. So, I wait. I stand patiently outside their office, so I don’t eavesdrop, and wait for them to be finished. This, however, was considered ‘rude’. Don’t ask me why. If it wasn’t that important, then why call for help in a panic, dumbass?

Oh, I also got the ‘reading important papers’ complaint, but at least the VP realized the folly of that one. Dude, if they’re that important, why are they laying on top of your desk, in front of the computer, where I am going to inevitably see them when I work on it? Put them in a desk drawer, genius!

Then the guy who requested I not be sent back to his department. Note that this was back in the days when Windows NT was not really friendly to plug and play hardware. The guy has a Windows 95 laptop, and wanted Windows NT on it. Why, we had no clue. We later found it was because of a new app they bought that ran on an NT server. News flash, that’s just the server side, you don’t need NT on the client side to connect to it! He insists.

So I spend no less than three weeks trying to force feed NT onto his laptop. No go, the network card wouldn’t respond as NT wouldn’t properly recognize it. I tried several ways of setting the card’s resources manually, nothing. Finally, I am told, /by my manager/ to ask why he needs NT, and I explain to him the technical limitations I am facing. He explains why he needs it. I then tell him, the server only has room for 5 client licenses. Adding another NT machine to connect through the domain is going to exceed it, as the 5 licenses are already used, per my manager. (A note that the primary network was Novell.) He /explodes/, about how they have 200 licenses (for the app, NOT the server), that’s a done deal. He is getting NT, that is a done deal, and that I was going to do it. I was furious. I maintained my composure, told him I would check into it, and left. For this, he demands I never be sent back to his department. Ever. For all eternity. I found out who it was later by accident, when I was sent back and the secretary secretly called over to the dispatcher and said ‘why is he here!?!?’ The guy was all friendly when he saw me, but all he got from me was the Glare of Death. I think he knew that I knew. Didn’t bother me in the slightest.

And that is my ‘involuntarily quit’ story.
                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

There isn't really anything special about how I quit. I did everything the way I was supposed to -- went to the manager, and politely gave my notice. What was funny was what happened afterwards. I ran into one of my coworkers as I was coming back out of the office, and he said, "Mike, from the look on your face, you just gave your two weeks' notice, didn't you?"

I had no idea I was that obvious, but I guess I had some shitty grin on my face. For the record, it wasn't a bad job, as far as retail jobs went, but I was really starting to hate customers at this point, and my coworkers all knew it.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Geez... Well, I can't beat Grunt's story, but here is how I got fired and quit on the same day.

I had just finished college and was looking for a Graphic Design job. I was currently doing data entry three days a week.

I found a job on Craigslist that looked really cool - custom book printing. I love books! I'll probably be able to read these while I work. Cool! So I interview and get the job. We agree that I'll work there two days a week for the first week until I can get my other job to switch my hours and I give notice.

The first day I notice there's no time clock. The boss's wife who is in charge of the office is too lazy to keep track of hours so we're all salary. I was told hourly and overtime in the interview. Fine, I'll just say I can't work overtime.

I learn from the other two graphics people that there's been very high turnover. In fact, the girl (H) I'm learning from has only been there a couple of months and this was her two weeks. The other guy (C) is 'riding the train.'

The end of the week I decide to give notice at my other job. I come in on Monday and H is there. What? I thought she was quitting. She explains that they offered her more money. I'm thinking she might not be real bright - if you're unhappy where you're working, more money isn't really going to help, at least to me.

So after a few days I get my own office with new furniture and a new Mac. Cool. Work is boring, but that's alright. On Friday H, C, L (the office girl, not the boss's wife) and I go to lunch together. We get back and the door is locked. What the... hell? The boss finally comes to the door "Sorry guys, we're just not doing it anymore. You can pick up your checks and stuff on Monday."

That's right, we can't even go in and get our stuff. We're all fired. We're all pissed.

I get a call later that night, oh, he didn't mean to fire me. Oh tell him I'll see him on Monday - when I pick up my check. He begs and I just repeat myself. There's no way in hell I'm going back.

I go in on Monday (after having had a fun time at RenFaire) and C has gone back. That's right, of the four people he fired, half he didn't mean to fire.

So basically, if you ever want a book printed, don't use UBuildABook aka MediaLabs, because they're crazy, stupid, and completely disorganized.
                    Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

Usually I'm normal. Put in my notice, that sort of thing. But when I quit Claire's, that was different.

Husband and I, before we were married, lived with my dad. Shortly after we moved in, we needed jobs. My old job at the grocery store was held for me, but Keith, my boss, didn't have much in the way of hours for me yet. So I took the job at Claire's. One of the other employees at the grocery store then had to leave for surgery, so I started working two jobs. I had made an arrangement with Keith and with Psycho Manager at Claire's: She put out the new schedule on Thursday mornings. I phoned Keith after getting it, as he did his scheduling Thursday afternoons. Psycho Manager promised that she wouldn't touch the Claire's schedule without asking me first since once Keith does his schedule, it is set in stone, he is literally not allowed to change it per upper management.

For a few weeks, all is well. Then one day I come in, and Psycho Manager has changed one of my shifts from opening to closing. This was not good. It was the ONE day I had told her I needed evenings off, as there was no one else to close at the grocery store and had promised Keith I'd cover it. I reminded her of that. Her response?

"Oh yeah I forgot. Sorry. Just get someone to cover it."

Uh, NO. There was ONE other employee, and she was already working that day at the Icing's downstairs. I told Psycho that, and told her that since she changed it, she needs to cover it herself. I also reminded her that she did not ask me first as per her promise.

"Well, my daughter doesn't have school that day and wanted to go to the zoo. I promised her, and I knew if I asked you, you'd say no."

We argued back and forth, and I basically ended the conversation with something like "Look, YOU promised to do my schedule a certain way, and that job pays twice what this one does. I've also had that job for 3 years, and this one I've had 3 months. So this job is not my priority. I will not be here that night, so you'll have to figure something out."

She was like "Whatever, call me tonight at home." I said I wouldn't, since I had no reason to.

Anyways, fast forward to that night. It's midnight, on a Saturday. My dad's friend had a birthday, so we had him and a few other friends over. We all had plenty to drink, toasting this fellow. I was quite sloshed. Phone rings, it's for me. It's Psycho Manager.

At midnight. On a Saturday. Myra is drunk. Uh oh.

I don't remember exact words now, but it was not pretty. The next day, I sent my resignation letter in with Husband-then-Boyfriend the next day. (He worked in the same mall as my Claire's.)

Luckily, Keith was able to pull me in full-time and keep me, as summer was coming. But yeah. Not proud of it, but glad I stood my ground. Psycho Manager was fired a few months later for her lack of managerial skills. Her employee turnover was higher than any Claire's in the area, I heard. I wasn't surprised.
                      I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

Well, when I quit my first job (inserting ads into the Sunday edition of a bi-weekly newspaper), I did it over the phone because I got my current job and they wanted me to start that weekend right away. So a two-week notice was out of the question.

This summer, I noticed an employee decided to quit by signing out on the sign-in sheet at work, which you use if you don't have your punch card, and wrote "I QUIT!!" next to her name.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I went to quit and....

I was at a temp to perm job.

I got convinced I was never going to be hired because I wasn't a favorite of one of the managers. Despite my production and accuracy being top 3 every week and top 1 80 percent of the time I wasn't.

So I started looking for something permanent. It wasn't that I wasn't happy there I needed insurance and security of a perm job. In fact I loved the job itself. I was in an area where I rarely dealt with the manager that didn't like me but she made hiring decisions.

I was offered a permanent position elsewhere So the next day I stopped by the big boss's office and said "I just wanted to let you know I'm sorry it didn't work out. I really wanted to be hired but it wasn't happening so I have accepted a permanent position elsewhere."

He almost had a fit on the spot. It turned out he had wanted me hired almost the 2nd week I was there but was told I was not interested in a permanent position because I was going to school. That is true but this schooling I'm starting in January takes 2 1/2 years. Classes are all in mornings. This is a second shift job.

And the manager that didn't like me knew this.

So the big boss asked for 24 hours. Walked in the next day called into his office and was hired permanently effective as soon as paperwork went through (took 10days they have to do a background check).

He went to bat with corporate because there was a hiring freeze but they made an exception when told what my numbers were.

3 weeks later the manager was fired for this incident and some other things.

I'll give you 3 guesses as to who is replacing that manager and the first 2 don't count!

Started out temp to perm making 12 an hour. Now perm a manager and making 55 thousand.

Comment

Old Navy has me on a do not hire list. No great loss. My manager was informed a month in advance that I would be out of state on a certain weekend to watch a friend graduate. Manager decided to schedule me to work that whole weekend after giving a verbal approval. This was a second job and would be no great loss. So I quit over the phone, walked in on payday and handed off my shirts to a lead and was done.

Comment

I actually pulled two different gigs at Kinkos..one about two years ago and one eight years before that.

The earlier one I quit. I went to lunch that day with no intention of leaving. I went to meet my husband who worked at a place that had a photo lab. WhenI got there, the lab guy turned out to be a guy I knew who was quitting in two weeks. He said, "So, you want my job?"

As it turned out, yes, I did want his job. They hired me right then. I went back to Kinkos and wanted to talk to my boss, who incidently had seriously been on my nerves (and other's nerves) because he was pulling some really chowderhead moves of late. I wanted to tell him that I had found a new job and I needed to work out something with him so I could give them time to replace me, while trying to schedule in some training time at the other place.

Well, he blew me off. He didn't want to talk to me, saying he was busy. So he sent his Asst. Manager to find out what I wanted (he always sent his AM in to do the stuff he didn't want to.) At that point, I was beyond fed up. So I told the AM pretty much screw it, I was leaving RIGHT THEN. I came back from lunch long enough to tell them I wasn't coming back from lunch at all.

Not my best moment maybe, but I have to admit it felt good sticking it to my boss. I felt a little bad leaving my co workers in the lurch, but they kept calling me up going "Oh, man, that was awesome. I wish I could do that." So I guess they weren't pissed.

Comment

Working...
                              X