Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A girl I taught when she was in K-3rd grade just graduated from HS.

And friended me on Facebook.

Comment

• My wife teaches school... at the start of the school year they have a meeting and all the new teachers get introduced. There were TWO new teachers that my wife taught in the 7th grade!! Now they are co-workers!! She thought that was CRAZY!!

Comment

• The other day when I was playing WoW, someone left for the night and everyone said "Goodbye". Me, being a smart ass, said "Good night, John Boy". Cue people typing: "Huh?", "Who's that?".

An the one guy that got it said nothing. Just whispered me and said, "Feel old now, don't ya?"
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

• Quoth simplyanother View Post
          We also have the disk that has Ocarina of Time and the Master Quest. It doesn't WORK, because my kid did something to it. Are there any real things that repair scratches on disks?
          Printed or non-printed side? If it's the printed side, you're screwed (thin layer of lacquer and ink over the reflective coating that holds the data). If it's the non-printed side, I've had a bit of luck (audio CDs from the library where one track wouldn't play due to scratches) with Novus 2 plastic polish applied using a non-woven manufactured rag (brand I use is Scott Rags - looks like an extra-heavy paper towel, but it's a nonwoven fabric). Takes a bit of time and elbow grease (be sure the label side is supported by something inflexible, then a thin non-scratch pad, or you could accidentally destroy the disc), but it works.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

• Quoth Nurian View Post
            The other day when I was playing WoW, someone left for the night and everyone said "Goodbye". Me, being a smart ass, said "Good night, John Boy". Cue people typing: "Huh?", "Who's that?".

An the one guy that got it said nothing. Just whispered me and said, "Feel old now, don't ya?"
            I would have typed Good Night, Mary Ellen
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

• Quoth jiarby View Post
              My wife teaches school... at the start of the school year they have a meeting and all the new teachers get introduced. There were TWO new teachers that my wife taught in the 7th grade!! Now they are co-workers!! She thought that was CRAZY!!
              I made some of my teachers feel that way, also. One taught me trig in 10th grade, and the others taught me calculus and differential equations in college. It was really strange for me to suddenly be a colleague instead of a student!
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

• Quoth Nurian View Post
                The other day when I was playing WoW, someone left for the night and everyone said "Goodbye". Me, being a smart ass, said "Good night, John Boy". Cue people typing: "Huh?", "Who's that?".

I still on occasion do that with my parents when we go on trips. My mom gets a kick out of it.

Does anyone remember playing dungeons and dragons? The electronic one?
                I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

• Quoth jiarby View Post
                  My wife teaches school... at the start of the school year they have a meeting and all the new teachers get introduced. There were TWO new teachers that my wife taught in the 7th grade!! Now they are co-workers!! She thought that was CRAZY!!
                  By the time mrDrone's father retired from teaching at Bloomington High [not sure which building] he was teaching the grandchildren of his a couple of his original class of students. 50 years as a teacher
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

• Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Printed or non-printed side? If it's the printed side, you're screwed (thin layer of lacquer and ink over the reflective coating that holds the data).
                    Wolfie is right. An old trick from the gamestore we used to determine whether a scratched game was acceptable for use: Hold it up to a bright(ish) light, label side facing you. If you can see the scratch thru the label, then your disc is useful as a decoration and nothing else, as the data is stoired just under the label. Anything short of that still has at least a *chance* of working again.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth marlovino View Post
                      Does anyone remember playing dungeons and dragons? The electronic one?
                      Which one? Intellivision had a fun one, for the time, then there were the gold box games on PC, and the arcade stand up games. There was also the ill-fated D&D with video that they put out as a newbie lure. There may have been a board game version that had something like Dark Tower going, but I may be mistaken.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

• this one

A friend had it. We would play this and Dark tower all the time.

Pic of Dark Tower

Last edited by marlovino; 08-10-2009, 06:50 PM.
                        I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

• Interesting. I'd never seen the top one before, but then I was lucky to afford the Basic D&D manuals when I was a kid. A dealer at Origins this year had a beat-up copy of Dark Tower, and it was going for $250! I got to touch it, at least. I'll stick to the derivitive-but-still-fun Dork Tower game, thanks. Not electronic, but it does the job with some extra dice rolls.

I do remember playing the electronic version of Scotland Yard, though. A friend had a copy.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                            I once got buddies (from what is now a looooooong-dead bbs) to click on a Man-Faye link (complete with "I like ta move it move it"; before he had a separate site, iirc) with a similar "warning". I literally told them "No matter what you do, do NOT click on this link. Trust me on this one. If you value your sanity, NO CLICKY" -- words to that effect. Naturally, nobody listened.

Responses ranged from "shock" emoticons to "I will never click one of your links again, Eric" to "You !" to my personal favorite response, one which has been in my sig file ever since:

"No...That is just...No. For all that is heavenly and sacred, No."
                            Reminds me of the days when I did sprite-comics on Bob & George. One of the "storylines" I did in my comic In Search of Ritalin centered around the rest of the cast taking turns torturing our resident beating stick, Joe the Beating Stick. One of the characters slapped a pair of VR goggles on a tied-up Joe, went on the Internet and googled... a rather disturbing image. Joe, of course, freaked out.

That particular strip was even titled, "NOTE: Do NOT look at that image." And the responses I got from people were all ones of disgust and horror and talking about how I'd scarred their brains forever.

(Spoilered in white text to spare anyone who truly doesn't want to know: The phrase googled was "harlequin fetus." Just don't say I didn't warn you.)
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth marlovino View Post
                              up up down down left right left right a b
                              Hmm... you enjoy playing with only 3 lives then?

Try Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A instead. Might do what you want it to.

But, I'm just a gaming geek in general. I started with an old Atari 2600 (bought used), and still have several of the cartridges, including a copy of E.T., then later added Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong to the list (yep... Nintendo game son a non-Nintendo system... who'd believe THAT?).

Comment

• Quoth Tiberious View Post
                                , then later added Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong to the list (yep... Nintendo game son a non-Nintendo system... who'd believe THAT?).
                                Trivia time -- without looking it up, can you answer --

- What was the name of the character you played as in Donkey Kong? No, it wasn't Mario, his name got changed to that somewhere in between DK and Mario Bros.

- Why is he called "Donkey" Kong anyway?

First one to get both gets a cookie!
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X