Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone remember the ORIGINAL Alvin and the Chipmunks (in black and white with hand puppets)

when Jonny Carson was in New York???

Dragnet in bkack and white and Joe Friday wore a hat????

the Courtship of Eddie's Father with Bill Bixby????

or the original My Favorite Martian with Bill Bixby and Ray Walston???

the original Family Affair with Brian Keith and Sabasitian Cabbet?????

or the Many loves of DOby Gillias??????

as for reading the punched Holerath codes by hand, couldn't you have dup'ed them through an 029 keypunch machine so that it showed the alphanumeric at the top of the card?????
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I own, (and still use) a gameboy that's older than many of my co-workers.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        anyone remember [all the tv stuff]..]
        Well, I remember Dragnet, Dobie Gillis and a bunch others--because...well, reruns, and Nick at Nite. Of course, not the original run, because, well, yeah. lol

(Also, somewhere, they ran Get Smart, I can't remember if it was N@N or what).
        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
          You know you're getting old when...

...you're listening to the radio and you hear one of your favorite songs from when you were in high school... and then you realize it's on the CLASSIC ROCK station!

It's bad enough for me, being in my mid-30s, but one of my buddies had this happen to him when he was in his early 20s.
          No, what is scary is hearing ACDC as muzac in an elevator at a mall ...
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            Leek Girl
            Yeah... but leek girl is is 井上 織姫 Inoue Orihime.

Otaku

Comment

or the original My Favorite Martian with Bill Bixby and Ray Walston???
              There's been a remake?

I always wondered why this series wasn't picked up more often in syndication - it was one of my favorites as a kid. Does anyone recall what car Bixby's character drove? I can almost picture it in the garage downstairs. Karmann ghia maybe?

as for reading the punched Holerath codes by hand,
              I had a friend who brought his collated cards home for a final manual check and numbering before submission. Dropped the box on his way to the car. Next available run slot? 2 MONTHS.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are.
                Hand one to the cashier, and state "Here, take a leek."

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post

I miss Beany & Cecil, and Rocky & Bullwinkle, and .......
                  I LOOOOOOOOVE Beany and Cecil and Rocky and Bullwinkle!!! I thought no-one knew about Beany and Cecil anymore!!!

"I'm-a comin', Beany-boy!"

I'm waaaaaay too young for that show, but my parents loved it. And I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle. Actually, Jay Ward's grave isn't too far from where I live, I visit it sometimes.
                  "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

anyone remember the ORIGINAL

or the Many loves of DOby Gillias??????
                    I loved that show! Maynard G. Crebbs was my hero.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

anyone remember the ORIGINAL
                      as for reading the punched Holerath codes by hand, couldn't you have dup'ed them through an 029 keypunch machine so that it showed the alphanumeric at the top of the card?????
                      The main company I worked for (not the engineering firm, they were a client) had hired me just because of that job - they worked almost exclusively in Cobal, I was a Cobol programmer, but no one, and I mean no one, top down, knew Fortran - so since I had taken a couple of courses in college (it was my second job out of college) I got hired (they knew the Fortran was short-term, and wanted someone who could do that job, then be put into another project with the firm). So I knew basically what I had learned in college about punch cards and Fortran (which wasn't all that much) and no one at the company knew even that much. I know there was no keypunch machine available to use, the engineering firm had tossed old equipment and just wanted it rewritten to run on hard drive or floppy, not cards, and a screen. To add to all that, I could never get any information on what the program actually did - I've got lines of code that are basically just formulas, and no one who can tell me what the variables used stand for, etc. - and I'm supposed to turn it into a usable new type program with prompts for the correct information If all I have is lines of formulas saying a=b/c etc. etc., how do I have a nice little insert line telling them to enter what b stands for, when I haven't a clue, and no one else seemed to either (I've always wondered, who actually had used these programs in the first place, then???). Oh, and there was the odd missing card as, well......

For two weeks, I went home and cried at night, thinking I was going to lose my job (I'd had to leave my first job after going back to college cause the company folded (I worked retail and clerical before that), and had just gone thru a divorce, and was a single parent - pressure upon pressure). Finally I got the sympathy of a higher up at my company who understood enough to know it just wasn't a feasible project, and he actually told the engineering firm it couldn't be done with the info they were supplying, so not long after, it was dropped, and I was put on major Cobol projects for the USNavy, and was ever so much happier (well, except for haing my main customers (or clients) be military brass who hadn't a clue.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                        I LOOOOOOOOVE Beany and Cecil and Rocky and Bullwinkle!!! I thought no-one knew about Beany and Cecil anymore!!!

"I'm-a comin', Beany-boy!"

I'm waaaaaay too young for that show, but my parents loved it. And I grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle. Actually, Jay Ward's grave isn't too far from where I live, I visit it sometimes.
                        I even had a stuffed Cecil the Seasick Sea Serphant, complete with cape so he could be Super Cecil.

Did you know they actually did do a DVD of Beany and Cecil, but not all that many, so my goal in life is to track one down (and probably take out a second mortgage for it, lol).

Comment

I started feeling old a few months ago when the oldies station started playing early 80s music, after all, i grew up on that, and i'm only 37
                          Seph
                          Taur10
                          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

You know you are getting old when you realize your kids have no idea what "chicken of the sea" is - they look at you completely crazy when you want to listen to & know all the words to "the wreck of the edmund fitzgerald" and you start telling them about how much you used to love the show "land of the lost"
                            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann
                            RIP Plaidman - you are loved & greatly missed.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                              Ummmm, not exactly. IPF's quote was from The Electric Company.

Binky's was:

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY KIDS!!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress [/HIJACK]
                              OMG! I used to love that show!!!

You know you're getting old when....

you can remember what it was like having a cellphone that didn't have color screens, had pull out antennas and the fanciest feature was that you can text message somebody.

all the rap you listened to in middle/high school is now under old school rap.

if you know what SPEEEEEEEWWWW and HELLLOOOOOOOOOO NURSE! was and where it came from
                              Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 07-11-2009, 09:29 PM.
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                                And who remembers Captain Kangaroo?
                                How about Romper Room?

in Seattle, we also had P.J. Patches

in Austin, was The Uncle Jay Show, and Who Knows the Answer?

nationally, was Bozo the Clown (my brother appeared on that one, but was bleeped for saying, "F*** off, clown!"
                                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X