This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, sorry, too bad...

...I feel kind of bad for this, but what am I to do.

We had a co-worker put in for a time-off request for a few days including Thanksgiving and a few surrounding days. She had every shift covered except the Friday night shift - no one could work it for her.

Well, let me give you the background...

Our department just recently switched hands and merged with another department. I was privy to this information before the switch happened. This co-worker had been talking about taking this time off for awhile now, and I advised her that she needed to put the request in while our other supervisor was still here. I stressed that this would be the best option to ensure that she'd get the time off because that supervisor always made your time-off requests work. I could not divulge the details to my co-worker as to why I was so adamant about her putting in the request while that sup was still there, I just stressed it would be best to do so...

She didn't. Under the new supervisors, who took over in the middle of our schedule for this month where we are already short staffed and stretched thin, said get them covered and there is no issue...she couldn't. SO, the old addage, "Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part" applies in this situation as well.

I had agreed to pick up her Saturday. Last week, she said, "Well, looks like I won't be getting my time off granted because no one can pick up my Friday!" I just shrugged and did the "I told you so" speech.

I spoke to her supervisor about her request. He said that no one else would help with Friday, so it looked as if she'd be working. Okay...so, I made plans for Saturday because I assumed I was not needed.

I get a message on my phone last night @ 9:30pm. (I have two phone numbers available - work and cell - only my cell was called) It was her, telling me to tell her supervisor that I'd be in for her on Saturday. It seems that since she can't get the entire time off granted, she'll still take Saturday...well...no she won't.

I feel bad, but she called me yesterday (wednesday) to confirm this for Saturday. When the last time I spoke with her, she said it appeared that she was not going to be getting her time off as she requested. She never mentioned breaking it up and taking only what she could get...she only said, "Well, guess I don't get it." or something to that effect.

Oh well. I guess she gets none of it now.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Hell I would've done the same thing. Don't assume I'll cover a shift for you without asking first. I'm usually pretty cool about doing that, but sometimes my plans just won't allow it.

She should've checked with you before telling the supervisor you'd be in for her.

Comment

You have to take care of yourself before others, you know? She didn't cover all her bases, it's her fault. Don't feel the least bit bad about not supporting her lack of forthought.
      No good news is good bad news

Comment

With me, don't ever assume, that I will cover for you. Just make sure that I have no plans what so ever, then take it from there
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Can we say presumptious and self centered?

She should consider this a lesson learned and get over it.

Comment

That's what I'm saying!

The thing is I told her I could cover it - but then she said no one else would cover any other part of it so she wouldn't be taking the time off...that's the last I had heard of the whole thing until a few days ago when she called and TOLD me to tell her supervisor that I AM working for her. That's where the bad feelings came up...I originally did say I'd work for her, however, she later told me she wasn't getting the time off. She never said that if she didn't get all of it covered, she'd still take that day that I said I'd cover. So, I made plans...

Another co-worker of mine (on this board as "dispatch") told me that she has made a threat regarding not getting her shift covered...her words were something like, "well I've got all the holidays off, Christmas and new years, I just hope everyone remembers what goes around comes around"

Oooo - that's professional. Let me call the waambulance.
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

An update:

Dispatch (co-worker & another CS poster) had sent out an email regarding possibly needing New Years Eve off. He sent this out on Thursday - over a month before the day he needs off - good planning....

Well, I worked with her last night and she asked me, "Please don't work for Dispatch on New Year's Eve!"

Okay, you don't get the holiday you wanted off that you only provided two weeks notice of wanting off for - so you want to make everyone suffer. She thinks that she's the only one that has both holidays off (Xmas and New Years Eve) and everyone will be begging her to pick up and she can happily decline as everyone did for her. How childish! News flash - I have them both off too...and I don't have a vendetta out for anyone...

Comment

Oh go ahead & have a little vendetta . You deserve it
                "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                  An update:

Dispatch (co-worker & another CS poster) had sent out an email regarding possibly needing New Years Eve off. He sent this out on Thursday - over a month before the day he needs off - good planning....

Well, I worked with her last night and she asked me, "Please don't work for Dispatch on New Year's Eve!"

Okay, you don't get the holiday you wanted off that you only provided two weeks notice of wanting off for - so you want to make everyone suffer. She thinks that she's the only one that has both holidays off (Xmas and New Years Eve) and everyone will be begging her to pick up and she can happily decline as everyone did for her. How childish! News flash - I have them both off too...and I don't have a vendetta out for anyone...
                  Dispatch sounds like me...I make my days off requests as far in advance as possible, with follow-up e-mails to remind my director of the requests when the time gets closer. Hell, this week I had 2 concerts to go to on the 20th and 22nd, and I had them requested back in September!

The fact of the matter is that she didn't plan properly, she didn't make the requests early, she didn't confirm with you that she still wanted some of the days off, she basically did not take any of the responsibility needed for the situation. She also forgot the single most important rule about requestion days off:

Just because you request something does not mean you get it. I want Christmas Day and New Years Eve off of work. Xmas I might pull, but New Years Eve...I work security at a hotel, odds are I'm working that night. Big whoop. She'll need to deal with it, as cruel as it sounds, and take the lesson learned for the next time she wants a day off.
                  "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                  "What IS fun to fight through?"
                  "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                    The fact of the matter is that she didn't plan properly, she didn't make the requests early, she didn't confirm with you that she still wanted some of the days off, she basically did not take any of the responsibility needed for the situation. She also forgot the single most important rule about requestion days off:

Just because you request something does not mean you get it. I want Christmas Day and New Years Eve off of work. Xmas I might pull, but New Years Eve...I work security at a hotel, odds are I'm working that night. Big whoop. She'll need to deal with it, as cruel as it sounds, and take the lesson learned for the next time she wants a day off.
                    EXACTLY!!!!! I stopped feeling bad and then down right didn't give a damn when she came last night (the night I said I would have worked for her if she had planned it right) with a chip on her shoulder and then got even more mad because I delegate her away from a task that we, in my department, don't want her doing - training new employees. (I have just enough authority to make small decisions like who trains who on what shifts)

Comment

I've not only got all of new year's day, but I'm leaving at 9 on new years eve!!!!

There's justice in the world after all!!!!!
                      "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Working...
                      X