This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The War on Christmas" Takes Aim At My Employer... Again

I wish these stupids would go away. I really do.

I'm a blue shirt for the Big Yellow Price Tag and, as some of you may know, our November Thanksgiving Day ad has stirred up some jingoistic braindead types demanding a boycott. Why? Two days after Thanksgiving was the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha and corporate thought it would be cool to acknowledge our Muslim customers. Some people out there, completely oblivious to the fact that the ad was for NOVEMBER, got their noses out of joint because Christmas wasn't mentioned in the ad. Never mind that Christmas takes place in DECEMBER!

Yes, yes in 2006 there was the whole "Happy Holidays" fiasco (God forbid we should use an all-inclusive holiday greeting), but in 2007 and 2008 our ads VERY CLEARLY said "Merry Christmas", as well as "Happy Hannukah" and "Happy Kwanzaa") and the December 2009 ads will mention them again.

AAAAARRRRGH!

Sorry, I just needed to vent.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Sorry... Maybe one day we'll all grow up about this?

I can wish...
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

If it's any consolation, the people boycotting are probably too dumb to use anything you sell anyway.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        If it's any consolation, the people boycotting are probably too dumb to use anything you sell anyway.
        They're smart enough to find their way onto the internet, sadly.
        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Because there's only one ad for the entire holiday season, I'm sure...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

More of a GWC thread. Moved it.

Rapscallion

Comment

No problem.

Comment

That's sad; you're getting it with both barrels it seems. Once for not recognizing Christmas and again for daring to recognize any other holiday. You just can't win in that situation; I hope your customers don't get any freebies for the 'insult.'!
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My guess is that even when the Christmas ads run, these guys will not even notice it and continue to rant.

Comment

As an update, here are the actual Christmas ads:

December 17 2009 Ad

December 20 2009 Ad Front

December 20 2009 Ad Back

Not that they haven't stopped griping, it's now being accused of being a sales pitch rather than a "real greeting".

Comment

and for that matter, what is wrong with sacrificing a goat?

"ah, you can really taste the goat."

Sorry, that was the only area I jumped on from the PFB thread on the same topic.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                        and for that matter, what is wrong with sacrificing a goat?

"ah, you can really taste the goat."

Sorry, that was the only area I jumped on from the PFB thread on the same topic.
                        I have to go check this out! *runs to thread*

Comment

We get emails at my employer blasting us for saying 'Happy Holidays' and not mentioning Christmas.. except we do. We have Merry Christmas gift cards and sell Christmas ornaments and tell people "Merry Christmas"

I wonder if they are the same people who send us emails thanking us for not decorating for Christmas until after Thanksgiving.. although I've never heard one complaint about that.

Comment

In the end there can be only one holiday!
                            Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Skeksin View Post
                              In the end there can be only one holiday!
                              Is that after the Hanukah bush loses its head?

Comment

Working...
                              X