This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blame Canada

So, if any of you live in Canada, don't read this. It's probably going to offend you somehow, and yet, I will always refrain from slurs...in fact I don't know any slurs for people from Toronto....so, if you know any, let me know for future reference.

Unbeknownst to any of us here at store #****** at my company, apparently, our internet store will not accept certain brands of Canadian credit cards. How dare we. Actually, as I will come to be instructed by a customer from Toronto, how dare I! For I, as a sales associate in a small town in Florida, am the "Keeper of the Policy." My "fellowship of the ka-ching" and I defend it with our very lives, warding off customers with sales and Service Plans, to keep them from invading it with returns....This is the story of one of our little traveler's adventures, one morning right as the store opened, at 8:00 am EST...

So, I'm eating my Egg McMuffin, and usually the mornings are a little slower, seeing as most people are heading to, or are already at, work. Well, apparently Canadians don't work the same hours (here we go with the stereotypes. They're all jokes, please keep in mind, I'm Irish-German, so I have my share.) and they also like to prey on helpless little Fellowship of the Ka-Ching members.

I have been hired as the newest "Keeper of the Policy", and that entails making money for, and representing, our higher interests. Well, our Gandalf, the manager, requests that I take all calls until 1. So I take my post....

Mr. Toronto calls in, sounding frankly, quite american. Anyways, he wants me to do something about our corporation's policy on his brand of credit card. I tell him we can't do anything. He complain's that we can. I continue to just tell him we cant do anything, phone transactions are just not allowed with our policy.

Something I've always wondered was if customers, and employees, speak different dialects? The reason I ask, is because I'm pretty sure everyone else around me understand what "No phone Trans.'s" means. Even the non-english speakers can figure it out. Do we lose something in translation over the US-Canada border maybe? Does the lithosphere or stratosphere, or whatever-sphere, interfere and make translate "No" into "Of course sir, we'll change an entire history of company policy just for one disgruntled customer.."????? I digress.

I refer him promptly to our customer service number, because I am neither trained or paid enough to deal with that. Also, I have customers waiting who actually want to not be buttmonkies, and make my life not such a hell. Holy padiddlesticks.

An hour later, this cheesenut calls back and speaks to my coworker, and asks her the EXACT SAME QUESTION. She of course, gives him the EXACT SAME, ahh hell, you get it. He then promptly says "I'm taking my business elsewhere, you just a sale."

We get 5% commission for the record. I wasn't gonna bust my cajones for 5% of such a small buy. In fact, my manager gave me his blessing to give the customer this prompt response to his previous statement: "Sir, we respectfully ask that you f*** off, as you have just wasted over a 100$ worth of business time in which we could be helping customers. Take your business somewhere else, where'll you get reciprocated for your attitude, and not get excellent customer service for being a complete f***nut."

Ane yet, if the situation was reversed, and the American cards wouldn't work on a Canadian site, I am sure there would be major hell to pay to someone, as we all know the US dollar reigns supreme.

I can completely sympathize with the guy's frustration.

Credit cards are supposed to take the place of cash and make business transactions easier.

I think he was just trying to get someone at your end to at the very least, make a call to corporate and have someone look into it.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
      I think he was just trying to get someone at your end to at the very least, make a call to corporate and have someone look into it.
      I can sympathize with the customer, too. But I think he would have gotten a better response had he, as the customer, called corporate, than an employee calling. Frankly, more companies listen to their customers' complaints (however ludicrous) than listen to their employees' suggestions.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I'm a touch baffled about how it would be cheaper to buy from a place in Florida - near the southern end of the US - than from somewhere more local.

I can sympathise with the guy's frustration, but he was taking it out on the wrong person. It's rare that someone on a cash desk would be able to change the prices or policies of a company.

Rapscallion

Comment

As a side note, people are SCs, not nations. Let's keep this to the customers involved, please?

Rapscallion

Comment

Did he happen to mention what kind of credit card it was?

Comment

Wait!! You're telling me there are other credit cards than Visa & Mastercard?!?!?!

/Sarcasm

Luckily I did not have trouble with either when I was in London & Edinburgh. They actually gave me a way better exchage rate than the banks did.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                As a side note, people are SCs, not nations. Let's keep this to the customers involved, please?

Rapscallion
                SCs can be found the world over! They know NO borders! Somewhere in the Pacific Rim, there is a man attempting to use an expired coupon for coconuts! There is a woman in Siberia trying to make a return without a receipt! There are unattended children knocking over displays in Brazil!
                And I suspect that somewhere in the Andromeda galaxy, as I write this, there is some entity demanding to speak to a supervisor...

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  Ane yet, if the situation was reversed, and the American cards wouldn't work on a Canadian site, I am sure there would be major hell to pay to someone, as we all know the US dollar reigns supreme. :.
                  Discover doesn't work north of the border, or at least it didn't the last time I tried to use one up there (a few years ago; I didn't even try during my last trip).

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  I'm a touch baffled about how it would be cheaper to buy from a place in Florida - near the southern end of the US - than from somewhere more local.
                  A lot of places here have flat shipping fees; it make it easier to tell customers what the final prices are.

However, a border crossing usually bumps up the price, so yeah, it is a bit puzzling. Unless it was only availible south of the 49th.

Comment

I THINK there are some places up here that take Discover. When I last traveled to the US, my credit card worked fine when I used it, but I kept cash on me as well as a failsafe. Even in these days of plastic, I always carry a bit of cash on me.

Comment

For the record you guys, the blame canada was a joke, meant more directed at blame your credit card, not me, for it's lack of portability there. it was not directed at actual canadian-descent members or anything for that matters.

Comment

This reminds me of when we crossed the falls to head into Americaland back in feb on the CS ski trip. I fancied a burger. I really fancied a burger. All I had were US dollar traveller's cheques.

The guy - who looked as if he had come from American Chopper - ran both my Visa and Maestro card, declined them both (the visa worked first time in the book store around the corner), and despite me having a passport and UK driving licence, refused the sale. I ended up whining to GK and she paid for me.

Out of interest, Darth, what sort of value of goods were these? I wouldn't expect you to tell us exactly what they are, in case you are worried about being found out, but I'm very curious as to why they were able to buy them as cheaply from the other side of the US as opposed to in the same country.

Wish I could do that - the exchange rate is awesome, but shipping eats that up...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                          SCs can be found the world over! They know NO borders! Somewhere in the Pacific Rim, there is a man attempting to use an expired coupon for coconuts! There is a woman in Siberia trying to make a return without a receipt! There are unattended children knocking over displays in Brazil!
                          And I suspect that somewhere in the Andromeda galaxy, as I write this, there is some entity demanding to speak to a supervisor...
                          Wonderful. Just wonderful!
                          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

no slurs for Torontonians? Those of us from much further west usually refer to Toronto (as sarcastically as possible) as 'The Center Of The Universe', but we don't have a specific rude name to call the denizens of said center.

And if you think the customers in the Andromeda galaxy are bad, you should hear the whiners, complainers and moaners from Betelgeuse!
                            Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Quoth DarthRetard View Post

Mr. Toronto calls in, sounding frankly, quite american.....
                              If anything, I think you may have insulted the american members on this board, not the canadians (kinda implies that canucks are normally nice customers and americans aren't)

May I ask which canadian credit card is not good in the USA? I have a visa and M/C and both have behaved themselves quite well when I travel below the ol' 49. I honestly thought the problem would be reversed, as most places here do not accept Discover or Diner's.
                              -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                              -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Working...
                              X