This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Dancing Penguins

Today I came into work and heard a new song on our ten-song Christmas playlist. It was a horrible song, done by some guy who sounds like he's out of breath. It included a reference to penguins and polar bears square dancing. Normally, I would find that funny, but this song is so horrible! It's like:

Ho ho ho ho ho
    It's time for snow-o-o-o-o
    Let's go-o-o-o-o

And so on. It ends with:

Season's greetings from Land's End!

Land's End is owned by my store. This song is played three or four times *every hour.* It is so annoying that I want to scream! As if the ten-song playlist wasn't enough, now I have to listen to the Land's End Dancing Penguins song! Gaaaah!

Quoth Cosmic Cat View Post
    Today I came into work and heard a new song on our ten-song Christmas playlist. It was a horrible song, done by some guy who sounds like he's out of breath. It included a reference to penguins and polar bears square dancing. Normally, I would find that funny, but this song is so horrible!
    In house muzak... one of my pettest peves. My job requires me to have ability to discern different, freqently not-very-loud sounds, since video game diagnostics sometimes require it. So I have reasonably good hearing that's been trained to listen to small things constantly. Then I end up in movie theaters with play tracks that repeat every four minutes.

I feel your pain. If anyone from corporate HQ stops by your store, turn up the volume just for them.

Comment

i work in a movie theater
      not only do the commercials in the lobby repeat constantly which i have to listen to in concessions or while standing door or in between cleaning and almost all the commercials get very annoying fast but also in the movie theaters while cleaning some yahoo got the bright idea to have a radio system that only the employees ever listen to due to when its on! and its almost always crappy songs plus you hear them so often when its a good song it becomes annoying and when it becomes a hit and you hear it at home its torture reminding you of work

Comment

Here at the good ole radioshack, I have the benefit of listening to the SIRIUS satellite radio and watching HDTV, so the only thing I get tired of is the christmas channel on SIRIUS. I counted, and I had listened to Elvis sing "Here Comes Santa Claus" 17 times.

Comment

Sounds like we work for the same company, Cosmic Cat. I swear they have the worst holiday song list I have ever heard in a department store. I really don't need to hear 74 different renditions of Frosty the Snowman or Jingle Bells. I agree completely about the Lands End song. The guy can't sing all that well and the lyrics are just plain irritating.
          Oh, and just for the record, you are a meanie. I now have that song stuck in my head.
          Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I really should keep my mouth shut, but....I won't! Luckily, where I work, we can pull any of the Christmas CDs that we have and play them. Which explains what I had in tonight: Blackmore's Night, Irish Tenors, Now That's What I Call Christmas, Rachel Ray (no, she doesn't sing, just songs she likes), and Twisted Sister (yes, they have a Christmas CD). Usually, I put in the Celtic ones and Brian Setzer.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

At my store, I would kill to listen to christmas songs, or any songs for that matter. But I have to listen to video games and anime, the whole damn time, and the owners argue, over the stupidest and smallest things.
              Last edited by powerboy; 12-12-2006, 07:54 AM.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

the main songs i hear at work are on the t.v. displays so its the same thing
                I Have Nothing But The Thoughts Of Uselessness

Comment

At the garden centre, the choice of Christmas music there was 10 Christmas hymns looped and... PANPIPED. Truly the music of Satan. *shudders* I've hated panpipes ever since.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Ugh. One of my coworkers insists on playing those damn Christmas carols every day. I don't mind the carols...however, I draw the line at listening to 52 versions of the same song
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

They finally started playing Christmas music at work on Saturday. The first Christmas-y station they found on XM...well, it was weird, it was unusual, and it was PROFANE!!!!!!!!! Too bad they changed it to another one.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Well, it's not at MY work, but on my way to work. The Boston Macy's window display this year is Christmas Trees. They have like 12 windows with differently decorated trees. I'll give you all 3 guesses what song they have piped out onto the sidewalk. The first two don't count.

Oh Christmas tree!! Every single day since black Friday I have heard that song for the entire time it takes me to walk the block, morning and afternoon. I really feel bad for the poor street vendors who have to sit out there all day and listen to it non-stop.
                        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I'm in an office, so no Muzak, but my coordinator (who's really great) only listens to oldies rock. I'm on the old side, but I know the music world has progressed and I want to hear at least some of the new stuff.

However, she's now changed her usual station over to an all-Christmas, all-oldies station. I spend my day just trying to tune it out.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

On third shift, we've taken to hitting the page button on one of the phones, and then putting the receiver next to a radio playing a classic rock station.

Sure beats having to listen to that Christmas crap all the time. Problem is, you can't page anybody unless you use the specific phone that is being used to play the radio.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

No mortal man was meant to survive holliday music at a higher dose than 3 or 4 songs a day...... I feel for ya.
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X