This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At 16, Your Life is OVER

Today was an absolutely HORRIBLE day at work. I wanted to quit!

I was supposed to help unload the freight truck today, but since Miss "I Sign People Up for Cards Without Telling Them" got fired, and one girl who was supposed to be there when we opened was over an hour late, I had to be a cashier. When the girl, "Cathy," got there, she whined about being the one who had to work in tools? So guess who had to work there? Me. It was a MADHOUSE. We had a two day 50% off Craftsman sale. We ran out of the sale items in about two or three hours. So then we offered the customers the choice to buy a similar item, which we would give to them half off. That stuff ran out in another hour or so. The customers were mad, and yelling at me for the stuff being out, even though we were giving out rain checks. They didn't want it Saturday, they wanted it NOW.

Then Cathy went to lunch. Two hours later, she hadn't returned. Remember now, Cathy was supposed to give out breaks and lunches. One of the other cashiers saw Cathy walking out of the store...in handcuffs. She had stolen several hundred dollars from the store's registers, one or two hundred dollars at a time. She had been using money to buy shoes, purses, etc., that she HAD TO HAVE. And not cheap stuff either. How stupid is that? If she had a brain, she would know that when the register was counted, the missing $200 or so would be noted.

That same day, her loser boyfriend had been thrown out of the store. He bought a pot and pan set for $150. He wrote a check for it, and instead of making it out to our store, he wrote it to himself. Of course, the cashier noticed and called security.

So early in the afternoon, the morning shift people had not had lunches or breaks, and it was almost time for us to leave. One of the other cashiers, "Amanda," asked one of the managers what to do, and she said that she could fill in while Amanda went to lunch and I could go ahead and go since the tool department was slowing down. Amanda clocks out and goes down the stairs. That bitch of a manager that I've made a topic about before sees Amanda leaving and asks what she's doing, and Amanda tells her. The bitch says, "No, you're not going anywhere. Go back to your register. I don't care what that other manager said. She is no one. She has no authority to make decisions here. You just won't get a lunch." Amanda rolls her eyes and says that she's going to do what she was told and went to lunch anyway.

So that was my day.

Cathy has ruined her life, and she's only 16. No one is going to hire someone who stole hundreds of dollars from her own employer.

I'd be calling the b*tch manager's attention to applicable labor laws regarding breaks. In California, you HAVE to get a lunch break no later than five hours after your shift starts if you're scheduled for six or more hours. There are firm legal stipulations about breaks, too.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Wow, what an idiot. Both her, AND her boyfriend.

How does someone that brainless get a job to begin with?
      (Expensive shoes? Why bother, when you can get ones that look exactly the same, only without some fancy label for 10 bucks?)

I don't know what to say about the boyfriend besides haha.

Edit- and I dunno where you work, but there's laws about that by me in NY, too. If you work for longer than 4 hours, you need at LEAST a 10 minute break. If you work for 7 or more hours, you're required to have at LEAST a 30-minute break.
      Last edited by Delacroix; 12-14-2006, 12:00 AM. Reason: had something I wanted to add.

Comment

Quoth Delacroix View Post
        Wow, what an idiot. Both her, AND her boyfriend.

How does someone that brainless get a job to begin with?
        (Expensive shoes? Why bother, when you can get ones that look exactly the same, only without some fancy label for 10 bucks?)

I don't know what to say about the boyfriend besides haha.

Edit- and I dunno where you work, but there's laws about that by me in NY, too. If you work for longer than 4 hours, you need at LEAST a 10 minute break. If you work for 7 or more hours, you're required to have at LEAST a 30-minute break.
        In Texas, you must have a 30 minute lunch after working for five hours and fifteen minutes, and you get a fifteen minute break on the clock as well.

Comment

You're right. Cathy's life is over. She's going to be paying back that money plus interest, and with no job to speak of...
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

when she turns 18 i think her record gets sealed, which si a good thing for her, since otherwise she would pretty much be unemployably for a decade or two.

i sure as hell wouldn't hire a convicted thief
            DILLIGAF

Comment

Breaks? What are those? My department is so messed up right now. The past two weeks have had two people on schedule: one to open, one to close. No coverage in between. And I was the closer. So I had to call a MOD and tell them my lunch was fast approaching. One day an MOD told me that I probably wouldn't be able to take a lunch. "Wrong!" I said. "I haven't had a break. I've been here for 5 hours. I'm not working another 5 hours without lunch. I'm clocking out in 30 minutes. I guess I could put up a sign saying 'Back in an hour' if I have to."
              They found someone to cover me. But I really would have clocked out and left for lunch. I'm not sure in most states, but in Florida you definitely get on-the-clock breaks and a lunch if you work more than 6 hours. And as much as I hate working there, I'm taking all the breaks and lunches I can.

As for the girl, she's a juvenile. I don't think the arrest will be carried over. Sealed on her 18th birthday, when she's a legal adult.
              Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

One other thing worth mentioning. I don't WANT Cathy's life to be over at 16, because she was dumb enough to steal from the till. If the record wasn't sealed, and her theft record meant that she could effectively never get a decent job again, well, that's just created another loser, living off welfare, probably doing some petty crime on the side (or not so petty), costing you and me money.

With any luck, she'll dump the loser boyfriend and grow up a little bit.
                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                  One other thing worth mentioning. I don't WANT Cathy's life to be over at 16, because she was dumb enough to steal from the till. If the record wasn't sealed, and her theft record meant that she could effectively never get a decent job again, well, that's just created another loser, living off welfare, probably doing some petty crime on the side (or not so petty), costing you and me money.

With any luck, she'll dump the loser boyfriend and grow up a little bit.
                  Good point, I agree!
                  No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

That is really too bad. I worked with a girl who was about 22, and had just gotten out of jail. She had stuff on her record (stealing for drug money, etc.), but we really needed a daytime counter person so the owner of the pizza place decided to give her another chance. She really looked as though she wanted to start over.

Unfortunately, she was caught stealing out of the register two months later. I think it's really sad that she wanted a second chance, but she doesn't deserve one if she's just going to blow it like that. It ruins it for a lot of other people. I hope this one girl dumps the loser boyfriend and starts over, it's really not too late but she is going to have to make a serious effort!

Oh, and BTW, managers that don't give breaks SUCK. And also coworkers who don't show up when they are supposed to and ruin the balance of EVERYTHING!!!! Why do irresponsible people ruin it for everyone else?
                    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Well I'm glad Cathy isn't 21 and working at my job. Imagine if her till was 80,000 instead. Though there are so many cameras there that doing so would be stupid but from what I just read, she isn't the brightest crayon in the crayon box.

But yeah you can call the labor board and complain if you don't get your breaks. I believe its against the labor laws.

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                        Unfortunately, she was caught stealing out of the register two months later. I think it's really sad that she wanted a second chance, but she doesn't deserve one if she's just going to blow it like that.
                        I hate to say it, but I don't have any sympathy for thieves. They may complain about how their "life is ruined" but there's a simple solution to that... don't do the crime in the first place! One of the office people at Hechinger's found that out the hard way. She was into drugs and other illegal stuff...and had been dipping into the tills a bit. Eventually she got fired and jailed, since it wasn't her first offense...
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          I hate to say it, but I don't have any sympathy for thieves. They may complain about how their "life is ruined" but there's a simple solution to that... don't do the crime in the first place! One of the office people at Hechinger's found that out the hard way. She was into drugs and other illegal stuff...and had been dipping into the tills a bit. Eventually she got fired and jailed, since it wasn't her first offense...

what are these places that give you a second chance when busted stealing from the till? where i work the "second chance" is that they sometimes won't prosecute if it was a small amount and you GTFO without causing a scene.
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

The movie theatre I worked at gave someone a 2nd chance once. She had been fired from the big WM for theft approx 2 years previous to working for us. Guess what happened? Within 2 weeks she had been caught stealing from us and was fired, prosecuted and fined 10x what she had stolen. Now mind you this wasn't some kid to was too young and stupid to resist the temptation, and she was told on the day she was hired that she was being watched, and that there were 30 cameras in the building covering every register, the break room, and the hallways outside the bathrooms.

She did it anyway! Just goes to show that some people are too stupid to be criminals.
                            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                              Oh, and BTW, managers that don't give breaks SUCK.
                              Not only that, but making that demand of a worker is ILLEGAL. A buddy of mine was fired once for taking a break after they told him he couldn't have one that day. He fought them all the way on it and eventually won his job back, but then quit anyway because he didn't want to put up with that anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X