This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, grocery workers

As some of you saw, I now work for Whole Foods Market.

I've worked retail before. I've worked fast food. I've worked behind the scenes and in front of the customer doing retail. And nothing could have prepared me for what awaited me.

I like, no wait, love the company I work for, and my job. I get great pay and benefits, the food is awesome, the customers for the most part are actually pretty nice (but this is a very, very, very upscale place), I'm just blown away by the sheer volume. Albertsons offered me $5.65 an hour for a deli position a couple of years ago - no benefits, maximum of 30 hours a week, and the store I would have worked at no longer exists anyway. Whole Foods gives me $10 an hour, pays for my medical insurance, and I have benefits out the ass along with a solid 40 hour a week schedule (and I work in WFM's version of a deli - which takes up about 1/4 of the store, "Prepared Foods").

Every time I'd shopped in the store before, it was usually fairly empty, but it was usually close to closing too. During the day? Every register is open with a line 3 to 5 people deep. Every department in the store has a line during the day, and believe me, we're very well staffed and from what I'm told we have pretty much the lowest employee turnover in the industry. We don't care about "items scanned per hour" or any of that bullshit, the company's the most customer service AND employee focused company I've ever seen.

So yeah, to all of you working in grocery, I have a hell of a lot of respect for what you're doing. More than I did before for sure. And uh... go apply at WFM if you have one in your area. The 20% employee discount (even on beer) is worth it

I hope that there is one where I live. I was jealous hearing about it the first time you wrote about it.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

It's definitely the place to work if you can handle high volume. The volume I've seen in there this weekend is about like what I see a couple of days before Thanksgiving in a "normal" grocery store. Of course, since you're so busy the day goes by really fast - I'd rather be moderately busy all day instead of being slow, then having 100 customers all at once, then slow again.

My biggest stumbling block, at least in pizza, is the fact that I actually have to pay attention to the pizzas in the oven. I've burnt a couple beyond recognition already I'm used to the timed conveyor ovens that the big pizza chains have. As long as I have someone working with me I'm usually fine, but if I'm alone and get hit with a bunch of people, well, I get to scrape a carbon pizza out of the oven. I've had to basically unlearn everything I knew about pizza from Papa John's (except for how to slap dough), since they do everything completely different.

So yeah, check their web site under store locations. They're expanding pretty damn fast too.

edit: I just saw your myspace - there's not one in your particular city, but I have no idea what cities are close to you or even what part of CA you're in.

Comment

I love Whole Foods Market. When I'm in Tempe, I try to stop there. They have an excellent salad bar, a great selection of unusual munchies (blue potato chips, yummy!) and they have so much cool alternative stuff. Congratulations on finding such a great job, bean!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          (blue potato chips, yummy!)
          If I saw blue potato chips, I'd return them for a full refund.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

They're only blue due to lack of oxygen.

Cutenoob

(i had to. dont spank me)
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

It's not just because they're a saaaaad potato chip?

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                Seriously, there are blue potatoes, I've eaten them, they're actually more of a purplish color. They taste sort of like the red-skinned potatoes, but the flavor is more intense. And they make yummy chips! (or crisps, as they're called in the UK)

http://www.terrachips.com/products/T...tato-Chips.php
                http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/potatoes.htm
                Last edited by XCashier; 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                X