This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you really want to stay in retail?

Someone in the other thread suggested that you use your skills towards getting an administrative type position. I agree with them. Even if you choose not to do that, this seems like the perfect opportunity to try something new. After all, retail is pretty much retail. You may be selling something different, but you still have the basic customer service, cashiering, merchandising, cleaning, and stocking no matter where you work.

One thing you might consider is getting a job with your local school district. You would actually be off evenings plus working holidays would be a thing of the past. It would also give you more time to spend with your family. Just something to think about.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

If you happen to live near Tampa and want to do something completely new, try applying at the Tampa Bay Lightning's arena because I think you live in Florida if I read your posts right. They happen to be owned by the same guy who owns my arena and they treat their employees well but I will advise you to avoid parking. Gamestores are the best way to go, laid back atmosphere and everything. If you're a music buff, a music store is the way to go and an independent one would be great to work for as you don't have to deal with corporate. Barnes and Noble sounds good also like others have said. Whole Foods would be a great place also as they really treat their employees well. It's all up to you and I wish you good luck on your job hunt.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Thank- you everyone for your input.

I've applied at Borders books and got an application for GameStop this evening. The poor guy at GameStop looked completely bewildered by my request for an application. I :heart: being a Girl Gamer.

JM- do you actually have to touch people? I'm very anti-touching of people I don't know. It gives me the creeps. *shudder*
        A friend of mine's Mom is a hair stylist I don't know how she does it. Bleh.

I wouldn't be good on Geek Squad because I don't know enough about computers. I'm not too big on working for Lowe's or Home Depot. I hate being dirty and/or smelly. My hubby smelled like lumber the entire time he worked there. He couldn't shower enough or wash the smell out of his clothes- it permeated everything. Gag. But then, I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell.

I was actually discussing with my family about my next endeavor and I realized something about myself. I love stress. Not the pile up, woe of the world kind but the kind that comes in a fast paced, high maintenence environment.

It's almost like a drug for me. I'd always hit the door of BBV and get an adreneline rush because I knew I'd have a line of customers, 3 phone lines ringing, someone calling my name because they need a manager, people leaning over the end of the counter asking me to check for movies in the drop, someone to walk out to help find something and at least one or two projects to finish by the end of the night. All at once.

That how I work the best. Slower paced makes me bored, tired and not as productive.

Yes, this further confirms that I'm a weirdo.
        A picky weirdo apparently.
        Last edited by NightAngel; 01-01-2007, 01:08 AM. Reason: to, too, two- darn sticky keys!
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

NightAngel, you are so not alone! I know exactly how you feel!
          My new job is definitely fast paced. It also involves helping people look their best, no more clothes, though. I don't have to fold anything anymore!!!

Good luck to you.
          "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
          "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
            Thank- you everyone for your input.
            JM- do you actually have to touch people? I'm very anti-touching of people I don't know. It gives me the creeps. *shudder*
            A friend of mine's Mom is a hair stylist I don't know how she does it. Bleh.
            It depends. I occasionally end up touching the back of someones head when taking Optomap photos, but not every office has that type of machine so that might not be an issue. Other than that, I occasionally end up pulling someone's hair back and feeling behind their ears while adjusting their glasses (with their permission, of course). It used to bug me, but not anymore.

Oh, and if you ever get to the point where you are training someone to use contacts, you might end up touching their hands at some point. This doesn't bother me at all, since both of us are cootie-free at that point.

The grossest part of the job is when someone brings in a FILTHY pair of glasses and you have to fix and clean them without gagging.

Of course, some bigger offices hire people specifically to answer phones and schedule appointments, so there's always a chance that you won't have to deal with that at all. Like I said, depends on the practice.

Good luck!
            "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

I guess it all depends on which BBY you work at, I've never experienced any of those situations you guys are talking about. And I have no clue why that guy put a sticker on your product. Anyway yea the managers do want us to hit certain goals but its becoming more and more about the customer now a days. BBY isn't a not for profit organization of course they want to make money and of course their sales people will try and sell you stuff.

Comment

I don't know if it would be up your alley, but Starbucks might be an option. A friend of mine has worked there for a few years. Their pay starts at above minimum wag. There is a lot of opportunity to move up and the benefits are pretty good. It's a high-paced job, but I don't know how you feel about the wacky hours. Bonus: you can be snobby to schmucks like me who say silly things like "small" and "skim"
                -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                  Bonus: you can be snobby to schmucks like me who say silly things like "small" and "skim"
                  LOL!
                  My personal opinion is if you aren't ordering "venti" then you really didn't need the coffee that bad anyway!

I have added StarBucks to my list. I love coffee and I used to work in a cafe that sold about 150 different types of coffee/ coffee drinks and like 200 kinds of tea.
                  "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                  HellGate: London

Comment

Working...
                  X