This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules don't apply to me.

Where I live there is a law about smoking in places of work. Comes with a hefty fine, etc etc. You can not be on the premise BY LAW, and smoke. Period. It is not my rule, it is not a company rule, it is the law. If I agree with it or not, is absolutely beside the point. Part of my job is to enforce this, as the company does not want to pay any fines. Also, I might mention that once somebody is outside our gate, even if it is a few feet, they are NOT my problem. This is not a sighting, as no customers were involved.

Of course, rules only apply to certain people..right?

M - Lovable if somewhat chaotic me.
    HMM - High Muckity Muck

M - *Sees smoke coming out of a vehicle parked in lot, goes over. Notices it is HMM, my bosses bosses boss). Knocks on window, window roles down.* Sir, I am going to have to ask you to go outside the gate, state law says no smoking.
    HMM - *glares* Don't you know who I am?
    M - *nods* I am absolutely aware of who you are Mr. HMM, but this isn't a company policy, it is a state law..and there is nothing I can do. Your bosses, bosses, boss orders us to make sure nobody smokes here.
    HMM - Well I am not going to move, so what are you going to do about it?
    M - Well, I know I can not make you move..so I will just have to report this.
    HMM - You know I could fire you right?
    M - Absolutely. I still would have to report this.
    HMM - Fine, I'm going. I am not happy however.

This is not the only example. Our handicap, no parking, 'must enter through a certain door' all apply to everybody else if you listen to a few people. Usually management, but not always. Still I got to give it to the big big cheese (HMM's boss). If I report somebody, they hear it. If they try to get me in trouble for doing my job, they hear it.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

signature is irrelevant, this post is full of gigantic brass balls.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

If I hadn't, and HMM's boss had heard about it? Anything HMM could do to me would seem like a picnic in the park. Think fines for smoking in a building like ours can be quite..bad.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        signature is irrelevant, this post is full of gigantic brass balls.
        Forget brass, we're talking chrome plated balls of steel here!

Comment

History doth repeat itself, although the result of the earlier case is somewhat different, involving as it did the change in ownership of a great corporation.

Quoted from "HUMORS OF THE RAILROAD KINGS: Authentic And Original Anecdotes of Prominent Railroad Men", by George G Small, 1872:

'AL.' AND THE COMMODORE.

In 1853, while Commodore Vanderbilt was only a steamboat boss, be was riding from Albany to New York on the Hudson River Railroad, when he became tired of sitting, and concluded to go into the baggage-car and enjoy a cigar. In those days they had no smoking-cars, and whenever a passenger felt like turning a little of the weed into ashes, he had to do it on the platform, as the regulations of most of the roads forbade smoking in the baggage-car. As a rule, there was more chewing than smoking done in those days.

But the commodore concluded that the baggage-car was good enough for him, and thither he went. Seating himself on a trunk, he began pulling away at a cigar with great delight, and finally became lost in thought.

Allen Conrey was then conductor of the only express train that ran on the road. Thousands of travelers, at the mention of his name, will remember "Al.," as he was always called. Well, after collecting his tickets on leaving Poughkeepsie, " Al." went into the baggage car to count them and to arrange his other business relating to the trip.

Noticing an old fellow seated there, smoking, with his white hat pulled down over his eyes, he turned to the baggage-master and asked who he was.

" Blessed if I know," said the trunk-burster; "he is either somebody in authority or somebody with a good deal of cheek; for I told him that it was against the rules to smoke here, and all the reply he made was, 'All right, young man;' and there he is. Suppose you tackle him ?" he added.

"AL" looked at him for a moment, and then turned away to finish counting his money and tickets, after which he approached and tapped the stranger on the shoulder.

" It is against the rules to smoke here, sir."

" So that young man. told me. Nothing like enforcing the rules, conductor," said he, emitting a mouthful of smoke.

" That's just what I intend to do in your case," said " Al.," firmly. " So you must budge. Come."

" Oh, that's the word, is it? Supposing I don't budge ?"

" Then I shall assist you, that's all."

" You look as though you would make a good assistant —I rather like you, young man."

" All right, but I shall think more of you if you save me the trouble of ejecting you."

" I'll do all I can for you. Do you know who I am ?"

" Haven't the remotest idea, sir ; but I know what the rules of this road are."

" Well, sir, read that," he said, handing him his card.

" C. Vanderbilt," said "Al.," looking from the card to the renowned steamboat man. " So you are Commodore Vanderbilt, are you ? "

" I am," replied the old smoker.

" Well, you must stop smoking, nevertheless. I will not allow you to break a rule of this road any more than I would allow any other man to do it—not even if you owned it."

" That's good; I like your style," said Vanderbilt, throwing his cigar from the open door. " Do you know I have a great mind to buy this road just for the sake getting you; I will, by thunder! "

" All right; but I wouldn't allow you to smoke even then unless you abolished the rule."

" Correct! young man. Come and see me at No. 9 Battery Place. Here is a cigar for you."

This ended the interview, and not long afterward the old steamboater had control of the great river road, and "'Al." Conrey was long held in his place of trust as conductor of the famous express train between Albany and New York.

Comment

Well depending I will probably find out how bad it is going to be for me in about 7 hrs .. give or take. Depending when he decides to show up for work. Sometimes he is a bit random on things.

Comment

Working...
            X