This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open mouth, insert foot!

Yeah, so this shift is making my brain-to-mouth filter REALLY fail.

Background: 3rd shift in after-hours travel call center. Emergencies and last minute travel for people whose agencies are closed. We are supposed to have 2 people on this shift and I'm not one of them. One is out on maternity leave and the other is out on medical leave. So yeah, guess who gets to pull the shift BY HERSELF because.... you know....I'm a rockstar (I wish)!

I get a call at approximately 1:10am EST from a company who is booking 5 reservations for Monday. A little unusual because this company is on the east coast, but the travel arranger (an administrative assistant of some sort) was really cool and easy to work with.

Now typically, 5 easy airline reservations would only take me 20-30 minutes to complete from start-to-finish, but they were apparently on a tight budget, so searching lower fares stretched the call out to about an hour and a half.

The phone started honking at me because calls were on hold. Nothing I could do about it really, because I was helping a customer and I am alone on the shift.

Apparently it was honking loud enough that she heard it on her end and asked if I had to put her on hold and go get it, which was really cool of her.

My reply:

"Oh, no way! Our inability to plan and staff is not YOUR problem. Everyone can wait their turn. Take your time!"

She cracked up..

But the calls are recorded...yeah...

Not cool.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

So they will get you in trouble for good customer service? It stinks that it took so long, but since she wasn't an SC..I personally think it was a job well done.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Nah - if my boss listens to the call, it wasn't exactly professional of me to tell her that *our* (my company's) inability to plan and staff the phones is not *her* problem.

It's kind of a double-edged sword. I gave good customer service, but I dissed my own company in the process, which wasn't cool.

But it sure felt good!
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
      X