This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Overtime is Normaltime

Do any of you have jobs where you're required to work overtime? If so, is that a hassal, or are you OK with it?
    We recemtly had a buyout, and half the office left. That means we're left with the slack, and we have to work constant 6-day work weeks!

I'm more than ok with voluntary overtime. I'm ok with mandatory overtime if it is TEMPORARY or it doesn't last more than a few months at a time.

I have been on mandatory overtime for over a year. I can't remember the last time I worked a 40 hour week. I have worked damn near every other weekend for the past few months.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

We went on mandatory 6th day prior to june 1st due to some billing changes. They thought it was going to be a mad mess, happily they were wrong but I kinda miss the extra cash on my paycheque
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's sort of like that at the library - granted, I'm not allowed to work that much in overtime, but we almost "have" to do it because my work area is so short-staffed. The extra money is nice, but on the other hand, I'm getting really tired of having to work the closing shift alone 90% of the time, and having to be there every day that the library is open. (although I will say it's not as bad as it was the last time we were down to three people in my area)

Comment

I agree, the money is great. I'm still struggling, by all means, however, the extra cash has helped me keep out of further trouble.

But it just gets so tiring, week after week, having to go to bed early, having to work extra hours, having to give up every other Friday night. It's just ridiculous. It is.

Comment

My company doesn't believe in overtime. > <. Even if we do get more hours over 40 than we're supposed to, it's not considered overtime; just more hours. And they do not like us going over 40 hours at all.
            SC: "Are you new or something?"
            Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Overtime? What's overtime? :P

Seriously, I haven't been officially cleared for overtime in probably six years. Anything that I've done for overtime after that was because management thought that it would be great to have me come in for a few extra hours then turn right around at the end of the week with an, "You know those ten extra hours you worked this week? Yea, you got overtime. Oops, you have to clock out. Like, now.".

I wouldn't mind working overtime, I've done it a few times already. We get paid time and a half for anything over 40 hours, so even going over a half hour helps greatly.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                My company doesn't believe in overtime. > <. Even if we do get more hours over 40 than we're supposed to, it's not considered overtime; just more hours. And they do not like us going over 40 hours at all.
                Check your local labor laws, I'm pretty sure that's very illegal just about everywhere.
                Canadian labor laws favor the employee over the business a lot more than US ones seem to. In Canada, even "mandatory overtime" is illegal, except for "essential services" jobs like police, ems, military, etc. (By which I mean a company cannot legally punish/fire you for refusing to work overtime)
                Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                  Check your local labor laws, I'm pretty sure that's very illegal just about everywhere.
                  You'll need to look close, as certain jobs that can be classified as "seasonal" are normally exempted from overtime pay laws in many places in the U.S. That can range from the harvesting jobs the exemptions were originally written for to jobs like lifeguard or amusement park employee. Basically, any job that doesn't run year-round.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Now that our timekeeping system counts punches to the exact minute, I'm raking in overtime little by little. I'm still getting scheduled for 40 hours a week, but with all the work I'm having to do, I'm having to punch in early and out a little late.

As much as management would like me in the breakroom staring at the time clock until it hits exactly 8 hours worked, it's not going to happen. I knew this from the get go.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I dunno about your local Laws but here SK.Ca you can be asked/required to do OT if you are on Salary (paid a flat rate per month ) but ONLY upto where it would drop you to Minimum wage. after tht you do have to be paid OT wages.
                      It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                        The time at which overtime starts kicking in isn't necessarily what you'd expect. I believe in Ontario it's at 44 hours (paid), so even if you worked a sixth day they wouldn't be obligated to pay you extra for the extra hours. And it doesn't automatically kick in to overtime pay if you go over your shift on a given day.

Comment

You have to watch it especially if you take days off or you have paid holidays.

We have paid holidays at our work, higher ups will still demand that we work overtime, but we don't get time and a half pay because on a holiday week, we don't actually work the full 40 hours. So with that, you just end up with extra hours at regular pay.

Same applies if you take a day off. And yes, we still have to work overtime (oops, extra hours I mean), even though we won't be paid extra. They are that damn desperate.

And now, so many employees are maxing out on their PTO because they don't want to take a day off and lose the overtime pay....

Comment

Working...
                          X